Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The serious question is emerging as to how useful Jamarra is for the Dogs and how the Dogs can maximise their chances with this current group. As per my earlier comments. There is no clear path for Jamarra to earn a best-22 spot if Bruce keeps playing good footy and Naughton also is playing forward. A move needs to be made, or we'll be having the very same conversation 12 months from now, just with a lower valuation point.

Does anyone else see a different scenario playing out where we're not having the same conversation in 12 months time?

And if Jamarra were to be on the open market as a hypothetical. What would be the maximum return he could yield at this point? And if the same question were to be asked 12 months from now, would that return for Jamarra be better/the same/worse?

My view is Naughton either moves onto a wing, into defence, or Jamarra has to go. And I'd be doing the former as I do maintain belief in Jamarra as a genuine #1 option i50.

My view with the Dogs list is there is a great deal of flexibility to fit talent into the same team, it just requires a good deal of creative positional changes and role tweaks a very long way away from the conventional to make it happen.

Until Jamarra debuts and really plays a stretch of games, there isn't a known baseline for how his play looks at AFL level. It's only speculation based off of what we're seeing in the VFL which has a lot of people, fans included questioning his viability as a long term piece let alone a focal point i50.

If people are to complete a re-do of the 2020 draft. And it's a weak draft. There would be a wild range as to where Jamarra should be rated given he's yet to play at AFL level. Does everyone still consider him a top-10 calibre piece from the draft? Top-5?

I continue to rate Jamarra inside that top-4, alongside the other three star talls, but I'm well aware some won't have Jamarra inside their top-10s at this point, and many who do would be doing so tentatively. Will there be 10 players from the 2020 draft better than De Goey? There could be, but I consider that to be against the odds. So there will be people who would accept De Goey for Jamarra I'm sure, even if many in this thread understandably who have read what I have to say on Jamarra will obviously favour Jamarra long-term.

Once Marra's ready there's three options I can legitimately see us taking.

One is four talls forward. If Martin stays on he'll probably be on 60-ish% game time, meaning English won't actually be forward all that much. Naughton already gets down to the wings as CHF and Bruce roams quite a lot for a FF so it shouldn't get too crowded. Even when all four start forward English will probably push down the ground and stay behind the ball.

The next is back to English as the solo ruck. Not the best option but to get something you've got to give something. We'll concede the hitouts but with our best midfield and 3 really good forwards will take our chances.

The last is English moves to defence, which Bevo has already flagged as a good position for him. Darcy will probably take some time but when he's ready we could see him and English rotate between ruck and defence. Honestly this is the one I'm expecting, the fact that Bevo went out of his way to mention English is really good in defence makes me think this is something he had in mind maybe even for this year if Marra was AFL ready.

Even longer term than next year, we'll definitely need him. Bruce is having an outstanding year and fingers crossed that continues but there's no guarantees. To get to his best requires a lot of fitness and running all game. If he slows down a tad, which who knows how soon that could be once he passes 30, or has a bad preseason and ends up in 2020 form Marra will be in at full forward. Then you add in any long term injuries, early retirements, unexpected trades, or poor form to anyone in our spine and Marra would become vital to us. It's way too soon to say he won't fit in our side.

The serious question is emerging as to how useful Jamarra is for the Dogs and how the Dogs can maximise their chances with this current group. As per my earlier comments. There is no clear path for Jamarra to earn a best-22 spot if Bruce keeps playing good footy and Naughton also is playing forward. A move needs to be made, or we'll be having the very same conversation 12 months from now, just with a lower valuation point.

Does anyone else see a different scenario playing out where we're not having the same conversation in 12 months time?

And if Jamarra were to be on the open market as a hypothetical. What would be the maximum return he could yield at this point? And if the same question were to be asked 12 months from now, would that return for Jamarra be better/the same/worse?

My view is Naughton either moves onto a wing, into defence, or Jamarra has to go. And I'd be doing the former as I do maintain belief in Jamarra as a genuine #1 option i50.

My view with the Dogs list is there is a great deal of flexibility to fit talent into the same team, it just requires a good deal of creative positional changes and role tweaks a very long way away from the conventional to make it happen.

Until Jamarra debuts and really plays a stretch of games, there isn't a known baseline for how his play looks at AFL level. It's only speculation based off of what we're seeing in the VFL which has a lot of people, fans included questioning his viability as a long term piece let alone a focal point i50.

If people are to complete a re-do of the 2020 draft. And it's a weak draft. There would be a wild range as to where Jamarra should be rated given he's yet to play at AFL level. Does everyone still consider him a top-10 calibre piece from the draft? Top-5?

I continue to rate Jamarra inside that top-4, alongside the other three star talls, but I'm well aware some won't have Jamarra inside their top-10s at this point, and many who do would be doing so tentatively. Will there be 10 players from the 2020 draft better than De Goey? There could be, but I consider that to be against the odds. So there will be people who would accept De Goey for Jamarra I'm sure, even if many in this thread understandably who have read what I have to say on Jamarra will obviously favour Jamarra long-term.
Bruce is 29 and players who win the leading goal kicker at the Bulldogs seem to be cursed so Jamarra could go past Bruce by the end of next year.

Stef Martin could be cooked which might mean English goes back to rucking full time.

Naughton or Bruce could get moved back if the club thinks Jamarra is ready.

Or the most likely spot he could take is Hannans as a mid size forward.

If he's good enough he'll get a spot but at the moment he isn't fit enough.

He might get gifted games at a crap team but it's probably better for his career if he works hard in the VFL and resend a spot in merit

And you land on De Goey as the player that maximises their chances? Despite being the highest scoring side in the comp with a forward line that Jamarra can't currently fit into and a midfield that would have De Goey about 7th best.

Yeah, they're called Collingwood supporters :tearsofjoy:

==

You've admitted that all you've seen is some practice match footage of Jamarra this year yet you're writing authoritively on how he's going like you're on expert on the subject.

Nothing you have written here can be taken seriously lol

De Goey would be used as a forward for a team with a good midfield.

I'm an expert on what Jamarra was doing in 2019 and I know his game well enough to put his VFL numbers into context. That can be done with any player across any level if you know their game well enough.

KM- will you be watching the U17 games?

No. U18s/19s/state leagues/AFL is my focus.

Those U17s I watch will be those in the SANFL/WAFL/NAB League u19s.

Once Marra's ready there's three options I can legitimately see us taking.

One is four talls forward. If Martin stays on he'll probably be on 60-ish% game time, meaning English won't actually be forward all that much. Naughton already gets down to the wings as CHF and Bruce roams quite a lot for a FF so it shouldn't get too crowded. Even when all four start forward English will probably push down the ground and stay behind the ball.

The next is back to English as the solo ruck. Not the best option but to get something you've got to give something. We'll concede the hitouts but with our best midfield and 3 really good forwards will take our chances.

The last is English moves to defence, which Bevo has already flagged as a good position for him. Darcy will probably take some time but when he's ready we could see him and English rotate between ruck and defence. Honestly this is the one I'm expecting, the fact that Bevo went out of his way to mention English is really good in defence makes me think this is something he had in mind maybe even for this year if Marra was AFL ready.

Even longer term than next year, we'll definitely need him. Bruce is having an outstanding year and fingers crossed that continues but there's no guarantees. To get to his best requires a lot of fitness and running all game. If he slows down a tad, which who knows how soon that could be once he passes 30, or has a bad preseason and ends up in 2020 form Marra will be in at full forward. Then you add in any long term injuries, early retirements, unexpected trades, or poor form to anyone in our spine and Marra would become vital to us. It's way too soon to say he won't fit in our side.

When Martin retires, be it next year or the following year. Would you want English to take over #1 ruck responsibilities? I think he has found his best spot to maximise his game as that relieving ruck.

Even a front half of Naughton/Bruce/Jamarra I'd be nervous about, particularly when playing a second ruck as there wouldn't be enough forward pressure or small/medium balance with such a marking oriented group. More skill and ground level types are needed to balance that group.

English in defence I like. I've spoken about him before at length, and for me he's either a tall wing or a key defender. He reads it so well and has developed the contested marking, so he can be a big factor in defence.

Darcy gives options and could be a key forward/key back/ruck. He's skinny, so he won't play ruck for a while, so it's just picking with him which end he goes.

My comments with Jamarra aren't that long term he won't find a spot. If you have him there for four years, surely by then he'd pass Bruce by, as by year four, that's when key position players generally are developed and playing great footy. It's more-so shorter term, in particular next year I don't see that clear path for Jamarra aside from if injuries hit.

It's a great situation for the Dogs having so many really excellent talls. I do feel like one needs to be shifted to key defence to pair with Keath, as I'm not seeing that second high level key defender. Naughton and English are the two who would be best in defence, though that could become Darcy's spot just as easily as he reads it really well and can take a contested grab in his own right. From there I'd be looking at, at least one of those talls to play on a wing. And again it's out of one of Naughton/English, as those two with those capabilities. And then you've got those leftovers able to remain forward.

Bruce is 29 and players who win the leading goal kicker at the Bulldogs seem to be cursed so Jamarra could go past Bruce by the end of next year.

Stef Martin could be cooked which might mean English goes back to rucking full time.

Naughton or Bruce could get moved back if the club thinks Jamarra is ready.

Or the most likely spot he could take is Hannans as a mid size forward.

If he's good enough he'll get a spot but at the moment he isn't fit enough.

He might get gifted games at a crap team but it's probably better for his career if he works hard in the VFL and resend a spot in merit

Jamarra passing Bruce by the end of next year is possible given this is an unexpectedly strong season from Bruce. If Bruce continues his current standard of play though, and injuries permitting, there isn't that clear path in, and until Bruce drops off, I have to go off that assumption.

Hannan shouldn't be part of the WBD best-22. Mitch Wallis is a better option. Jamarra however is an awkward replacement for that type as you'd be using him in that role as a Toby Greene equivalent where he's still that high usage, high leaping #1 option i50, just you're getting someone taller who even to a much greater degree depends on being that primary target. Jamarra is a guy you bring in knowing you're going to play through. Play through someone else and he'll be a net negative as he wouldn't for a third tall provide nearly enough forward pressure or do enough other things well to justify selection.

The general point with Jamarra is, if you're picking him, he's the #1 option. There is no other way to use him. If the Dogs aren't using him that way in the VFL, his numbers and influence will be forgettable based on how he plays at this point in his development. So whichever level he's playing, he really needs to be provided the opportunity to do what he does best and be given the most possible opportunities to either fly for/lead onto/have 1v1 opportunities to do damage.

Hey Knightmare

if you was Fremantle and Cerra does leave, what would you do with the potential 3 x Top 20 picks? This of coarse is if Richmond trade fremantle haha.

Richmond's two first round picks may end up outside the top-20 after bidding depending on how far Geelong and Richmond respectively push into the finals, and how many players are bid on in the first round. You can bet on Daicos and Darcy getting bid on early just to name two, with others also possible.

Fremantle I imagine with a few picks in that range if a trade along those lines or some variation of would look for some combination of key position players and maybe a combo general forward/mid, with a number of the mids this year multi-position players.

I didn't see the game on the weekend, but what I'm sure coaches would have liked with Dib looking at the stats is while he had 8d, he had 10cp! (third highest for Oakleigh on the day) Oakleigh were missing a lot of their better players, so they probably wanted to reward one of the guys who had a crack.

My view on Dib from what I've seen is he's draftable and as having some role player potential, though my view is he'll feature later rather than earlier. He can apply forward pressure and is decent at ground level. So Collingwood would be gaining him basically as a needs pick, with their smalls more-so marking smalls than pressure/ground level types.

Akuei I like and feel is worth a shot as a rookie. He's an intercept marking threat with his aerial work and how well he reads it behind the ball. He's developable.

Uwandu I saw in the game v Brisbane but didn't note any particular moment from or anything in particular about his game, so I wouldn't have thought as a more physically mature, earlier year prospect that he'd be likely.

All I've seen of Jamarra this year are the highlight clips that include each of Jamarra's involvements from one of preseason matches. There would have been approx 3 minutes of involvements. He was flying for everything as he does, though dropping more than he should was my immediate thoughts. Looking as lively as he did, in as many moments as he did, that's all I needed to see.

Jamarra's testing last year was considering the way he plays in game, staying i50 as that go-to target, really surprisingly good, so his fitness shouldn't be as weak as people are suggesting. It's more-so his in game work-rate and knowing how to apply it in game it feels like more-so.

Having seen plenty of Jamarra from 2019, and outside of just his play for Oakleigh inclusive of his play for school and in the APS v AGSV match, I don't look at his capabilities to push up the ground as being a relevant part to his game at this point. He has always been a stay at home forward. He's just an aerially unstoppable one, who also is a threat both on the lead, one-on-one and at ground level.

I bring Jamarra back to the conversations I've been having on previous pages about accepting guys for the way they play. Jamarra is one of those, where you have to be comfortable certainly at this stage in his development that he'll drop marks, miss more shots on goal than he should and that he'll largely stay i50 as that deepest and highest usage i50 target. Accept that and give him the delivery and he'll cause problems as the most dominant i50 target I've seen in my years covering the juniors because you can only stop him flying, as there is no way to stop him when he's flying for it. And if he is flying for it several times each game, that's all I have to see from him.

If for example Jamarra was on Collingwood's list, it would be a no brainer to feature him in such a role as that #1 option.

On the other hand for the Dogs where they have Naughton and Bruce both in form respectively, Jamarra isn't getting a game because he is that high usage #1 option and would make that team too tall, particularly if the Dogs also want to play two rucks as they need to with English not a genuine #1 ruck. And of course at this stage of his development, Jamarra isn't anywhere close to those guys, particularly Bruce given his really surprisingly strong play it's fair to say based on preseason expectations.

I wouldn't call Jamarra a 'brilliant finisher.' Converting his opportunities is something he needs to improve at.

Pressure and 1 percenters weren't a strength for Jamarra as a junior and won't be immediately at the next level either.

He's all i50 brilliance. Leaping and doing damage aerially, 1v1, at ground level and on the lead. He'll draw high volumes of it and really cause opposition defenders problems. That's what he does and how he dominates.

His game beyond that is a long way from complete.

With the first pick of those for me it would be out of Sonsie and Roberts for me for Hawthorn, seeing as Daicos and Horne would be off the board. And they'd improve Hawthorn's midfield and provide contrast.

Callaghan in the 20s would provide great value but I think his stocks will rise and we'll be talking about him as a top-10 pick eventually. He'll by my focus player for this week in my weekly wrap on ESPN. He's an unbelievable mover at his height and just continues to wow me every time he has ball in hand in traffic.

In the 20s something like Connor MacDonald and Hugh Jackson would be a good haul if they're both there. I'd be hoping for a slider in that range as a best available selector. Both of those guys would be additional midfield balancers and provide further different components to Hawthorn's midfield if added.

KM, Could Callaghan with his height if he keep growing be a bontempelli type.

KM, Could Callaghan with his height if he keep growing be a bontempelli type.

Callaghan moves like he could just about.

He'll still need to develop additional weapons.

His contested ball winning and tackling definitely isn't up to scratch yet and he has yet to show me those forward of centre capabilities either.

I see the more accurate Dogs comparison as being to Jack Macrae. He's more around that height and that style of player. Again, he'll need to develop that ball winning and tackling to be that kind of volume of player, but he shares as Jack had at that same age and stage the same rare evasion and movement for a tall mid in traffic.

The general point with Jamarra is, if you're picking him, he's the #1 option. There is no other way to use him. If the Dogs aren't using him that way in the VFL, his numbers and influence will be forgettable based on how he plays at this point in his development. So whichever level he's playing, he really needs to be provided the opportunity to do what he does best and be given the most possible opportunities to either fly for/lead onto/have 1v1 opportunities to do damage.

If you'd watched him at all this year (which you admit you haven't), you'll see he has played as the deepest forward in every game, rarely leaving F50. Teams are double teaming him and due to his complete lack of a tank, he's unable to shake the extra and lead up at the ball carrier or find space. The number of contests he is able to get to is woefully small. AFL defenders would lick their lips playing on him.

The positive for the VFL side is that it has freed up Schache to an extent, who generally gets the 2nd defender. Because he can repeat lead again and again, he has reaped the rewards.

When Martin retires, be it next year or the following year. Would you want English to take over #1 ruck responsibilities? I think he has found his best spot to maximise his game as that relieving ruck.

Personally I'd rather English solo ruck and get smashed in the hitouts every week rather than carry another player in the 22 who doesn't offer much besides a perhaps a few extra hitouts every week.
I think the ruck is the least valuable position on the ground unless the ruckman can take a bunch of contested marks or link up like another midfielder and there aren't that many rucks who can do that.
If the choice is between playing Jordon sweet or another mid like Lipinski I'm going the extra mid.

Even a front half of Naughton/Bruce/Jamarra I'd be nervous about, particularly when playing a second ruck as there wouldn't be enough forward pressure or small/medium balance with such a marking oriented group. More skill and ground level types are needed to balance that group.

From what I've seen Jamarra looks to have the speed, agility and skill at ground level to play a smaller role. He may be better suited to a key position but I'd say that of all the key forwards who have come through the draft recently he'd be one of the more capable of playing small.

English in defence I like. I've spoken about him before at length, and for me he's either a tall wing or a key defender. He reads it so well and has developed the contested marking, so he can be a big factor in defence.

English looks good floating back at an extra defender but I'm not sure he has the agility or acceleration to play as a permanent defender.
I know Roughead and McEvoy have worked as less mobile defenders but when we set up to rebound as aggressively as we do, our key defenders have to be ready to scramble.

I just don't get this reasoning at all. Surely his skillset would work in other roles.
His making ability would be just as well served flying third man in.
It's pretty rare to see a key forward one out at AFL level these days but he might find it pushing up to the flanks playing as a pocket.
Whatever position he plays, if he wants to play to an AFL standard, he is going to have to cover a lot of KMs and put in repeat efforts which he isn't capable of currently.

You can’t say you rate him 1-4 when you’ve said you’ve seen 3 minutes of footage this year?? Dude - you’ve burned 3 years of credibility in 3 posts....

This is your thread but right now I’d suggest .......???!!!!

E32653A4-589A-444F-85D2-21AF1A2429F2.gif

You can’t say you rate him 1-4 when you’ve said you’ve seen 3 minutes of footage this year?? Dude - you’ve burned 3 years of credibility in 3 posts....

This is your thread but right now I’d suggest .......???!!!!

View attachment 1161348

Had the Footscray games that have been streamed online featured Jamarra I would have seen him by now. It would be an obvious waste of time watching Footscray of a weekend when there are other games featuring draft relevant talent on.

It's the same with DGB. I haven't seen him this year either. That won't stop me from rating him where I choose in that group either. And that's going to be the case when he has only played his first VFL game on the weekend.

Not everyone has been healthy/available/had a televised game available to watch this year. That won't stop anyone revising their draft orders in the mean time, just as no one decided not to include the Victorian's in last year's pool despite there being no games during the year. People did the best with what they had seen of them in the past and made moves around them with talent from other states accordingly.

Key position players for those who have assessed their development will be well aware it's not all about immediate performance but rather who they are in season four, and tracking that rate of improvement as best as can possibly be achieved up until that point.

For those who think they can produce a better top-25 at this point, I encourage others to try as that only makes for good discussion.

With the first pick of those for me it would be out of Sonsie and Roberts for me for Hawthorn, seeing as Daicos and Horne would be off the board. And they'd improve Hawthorn's midfield and provide contrast.

Callaghan in the 20s would provide great value but I think his stocks will rise and we'll be talking about him as a top-10 pick eventually. He'll by my focus player for this week in my weekly wrap on ESPN. He's an unbelievable mover at his height and just continues to wow me every time he has ball in hand in traffic.
Callaghan has been in most other draft watchers top 10 for quite a while now. And has been discussed a lot by ADC draft watchers and writers.

And a couple have him at 3 to the Hawks in their rolling phantom drafts.

And Twomey talked him up on this weeks Road to the Draft podcast.

Bit late to the party to have him as your focus player of the week.

Callaghan has been in most other draft watchers top 10 for quite a while now. And has been discussed a lot by ADC draft watchers and writers.

You don't seem to be understanding the the purpose of my focus player of the week. That's just me writing about in greater depth one of the draftable players I watched on the weekend. It's not always going to be a top end player, and it's generally going to be someone who went pretty well in that given game.

I could as an example have reported on Jason Horne in any of six matches so far this season, having seen that much of him, but there hasn't frankly been a single game I've felt compelled at this point, despite his near consensus top-2 status.

I can't say I'm familiar with what others are writing or podcasting and I'm sure you're well aware by now I much prefer spending watching games rather than exposing myself to and getting influenced by the opinions of others, so that I can at the end of the day have an informed opinion on a wider range of players.

The game on the weekend was my second Sandringham game for the year and a game that makes me comfortable moving Callaghan into that top-10 range. At this point he may be just inside or just outside that top-10, rather than convincingly inside, as someone I rated more around that 20 mark previously. In the game I saw earlier on of Sandringham he played on the outside and was much less convincing, albeit I observed on that day also his movement in traffic was A+ also, and had me hoping for that inside glimpse to see how he would adapt.

Top-3 is ambitious I'd suggest at this stage, though the top end is lackluster this year, so I get it as a speculative bet. I wouldn't be locking him inside a top-10 either if that's what others are suggesting. His contested work and tackling has a good amount of room for improvement. He needs to go harder at the footy and lift his aggression, as there were several times on the weekend where he could have gone, and it was his turn to, but didn't go hard enough either to connect on the tackle, or win the ball himself when someone his height and size should be expected to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't seem to be understanding the the purpose of my focus player of the week. That's just me writing about in greater depth one of the draftable players I watched on the weekend. It's not always going to be a top end player, and it's generally going to be someone who went pretty well in that given game.

I can't say I'm familiar with what others are writing or podcasting and I'm sure you're well aware by now I much prefer spending watching games rather than exposing myself to and getting influenced by the opinions of others, so that I can at the end of the day have an informed opinion on a wider range of players.

Just to clarify KM, briztoon is referring to this line:

Callaghan in the 20s would provide great value but I think his stocks will rise and we'll be talking about him as a top-10 pick eventually.

It was more pointing out the "we'll" be talking about him rather than the "I'll" suggesting that no-one currently is. That's all. I don't blame you for reading others opinions as I don't do it much myself, but it's more the suggestion that no-one else is saying that Callaghan is a potential top 10 pick, which is hard to say if you don't read/write/listen to others as you don't know what they've done (which again is fine).

Just to clarify KM, briztoon is referring to this line:

It was more pointing out the "we'll" be talking about him rather than the "I'll" suggesting that no-one currently is. That's all. I don't blame you for reading others opinions as I don't do it much myself, but it's more the suggestion that no-one else is saying that Callaghan is a potential top 10 pick, which is hard to say if you don't read/write/listen to others as you don't know what they've done (which again is fine).

My comment here isn't that 'no one is currently talking about Callaghan as a top-10 pick.' That's not my meaning at all.

My suggestion in the post in question as per my exact wording is that Callaghan would provide great value in the 20s if there, but if people are thinking he could be there at that point, they'll likely be disappointed because his stocks are on the rise since his move to an inside role given his clear improvement in performance and production and how good he's looking in there. It doesn't require reading other opinions for that to be apparent. Just watching him play should be more than sufficient when placed in the context of the rest of the draft pool.

Having Callaghan as we speak around the 10/11 mark in my own power rankings, he's not yet clearly inside my top-10, which is why I make no reference to having him inside that range just yet. What I am saying though to decode my comment further is if he continues to play good footy and have big games, I probably will have him inside that top-10 by the end of the season, as frankly the top end of this pool has been disappointing to say the least.

And with his style of game, one that appeals to clubs, as they're always on the lookout for tallish mids who move well and work well through traffic, I firmly expect if his strong play continues he features inside the top-10 at the end of the year. If his current play doesn't continue however, I wouldn't be locking him inside top-10s just yet, be it for ones power rankings or phantom drafts. I'd have his likely draft range at this point as 5-20 if someone was to ask where I believe Callaghan may feature. And depending on his second half of the season, that range as with anyone at this point could well still have room to move.

Thoughts on the Tasmanian prospects KM? :) Think Sam Banks should be good, what about Gardner etc? I havent seen any Tassie games this years because of that stupid NAB league app... they should just put games on youtube.

Frustratingly I'm yet to see Banks play this year as the Tasmanian games I've watched so far have been against the interstate sides (v NT and Syd). Before I consider him for my top-20, I'd like to see at least one game of him this year. It's a real shame as you say there is no NAB League replays on Youtube this year as I would have gone back to watch through his games, as he's someone firmly in the mix for my power rankings.

My tip is if you want to watch the games. Download Bluestack (or some similar phone emulator). Download the NAB League ap on that and watch on there. Or if you have a tablet, just get the ap on that and watch and/or if there is a way to move that picture onto your tv screen for those higher tech than myself.

Gardner was good v NT. Has the ground ball winning and is super agile and evasive. He's potentially draftable and late/rookie might be one to watch.

Menzie in the game v Sydney Academy I liked. He hits his targets i50, hits the scoreboard and seems to have a good ground level/marking balance. Overager, but another where like a Gardner late/rookie is one for consideration.

Aganas as a smokie I've also found has had some good moments. Good leaper, tap work is really nice and has those soft hands. Strong, aggressive tackler and can take a contested grab. Very raw at the moment but he's one while I don't necessarily see him getting picked this year is one I'd really like to see continue developing and maybe see if he could adapt to playing as a key defender perhaps with a view towards making him into something like a Majak Daw.

Hello Nightmare.
Who do you rate higher as number 1 pick for this draft to date from everything you have seen and read. Nick Daicos or Jason Horne or possible another young prospect?

Blues in desperate need for more quality midfielders and want to know if it's worth trying to better draft position with few end of year trades to snare a Nick Daicos or Jason Horne if say either is the best available rather than spending big money on Adam Cerra. Blues not in an easy situation but right now we have Pick 5 while North have 1 and Pies traded this years first round to Giants.

Last edited:
Hello Nightmare.
Who do you rate higher as number 1 pick for this draft to date from everything you have seen and read. Nick Daicos or Jason Horne or possible another young prospect?

Blues in desperate need for more quality midfielders and want to know if it's worth trying to better draft position with few end of year trades to snare a Nick Daicos or Jason Horne if say either is the best available rather than spending big money on Adam Cerra. Blues not in an easy situation but right now we have Pick 5 while North have 1 and Pies traded this years first round to Giants.

Daicos has become a clear cut #1. He'll attract a bid of pick 1 and have his bid matched.

The only player I see maybe catching/contending with Horne for the #2 spot is Sam Darcy (son of Luke as a WBD F/S).

This isn't a draft I'd suggest moving up. It's looking similar to 2017 where there could be some underwhelming choices and misses early on. There is a distinct lack of top end quality comparative to what I've seen in years past, particularly out of Victoria.

Horne and Cerra I view as being of comparable value to give you a feel with Daicos relatively more valuable, at least based on my own talent evaluation. As Horne would essentially require pick 1 to secure (would become pick 2 once Daicos bid is matched), Cerra would be the less expensive and more realistic target as he is essentially a distressed asset - wanting out and to return to Victoria.

Frustratingly I'm yet to see Banks play this year as the Tasmanian games I've watched so far have been against the interstate sides (v NT and Syd). Before I consider him for my top-20, I'd like to see at least one game of him this year. It's a real shame as you say there is no NAB League replays on Youtube this year as I would have gone back to watch through his games, as he's someone firmly in the mix for my power rankings.

My tip is if you want to watch the games. Download Bluestack (or some similar phone emulator). Download the NAB League ap on that and watch on there. Or if you have a tablet, just get the ap on that and watch and/or if there is a way to move that picture onto your tv screen for those higher tech than myself.

Gardner was good v NT. Has the ground ball winning and is super agile and evasive. He's potentially draftable and late/rookie might be one to watch.

Menzie in the game v Sydney Academy I liked. He hits his targets i50, hits the scoreboard and seems to have a good ground level/marking balance. Overager, but another where like a Gardner late/rookie is one for consideration.

Aganas as a smokie I've also found has had some good moments. Good leaper, tap work is really nice and has those soft hands. Strong, aggressive tackler and can take a contested grab. Very raw at the moment but he's one while I don't necessarily see him getting picked this year is one I'd really like to see continue developing and maybe see if he could adapt to playing as a key defender perhaps with a view towards making him into something like a Majak Daw.
Thanks, KM. Ive tried to use Blue Stacks but i think the app itself just sucks lol.

The Hawthorn board on here has already unanimously decided that we're taking Callaghan at pick 2 so you can all stop with the speculation.

Ahead of Sonsie/Roberts/Sinn/Rachele? Yikes.

I'd want to see his attack on the ball and tackling to improve before I'd be that daring.

There isn't a clear guy who stands out, but for me it's a bit early having Callaghan quite that high, flawed as all the others are also.

Sonsie I may have to reconsider after his poor game on the weekend, but probably Roberts for me at least of that group I'd be comfortable picking as a high floor type who should be a good mid/fwd pretty immediately.

Knightmare do you see Hobbs moving up your order if he can stay fit?

What do you see as his strengths and weaknesses?

Hobbs had a good one on the weekend and is among the very most advanced contested ball winners and tacklers. A real bull who loves all the physical stuff. Has good hands in close. Probably lacking some in the way of composure and pace from what I've seen to this point though.

I've had him around or just outside of that 20 or so mark, but after his game on the weekend he probably works his way into that top-20, with his upcoming games likely to determine how high up that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back