News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion only, Fiancée saw the $$ , moment she saw the contract she sold the business and lachie was gone. Interested to see how this one turns out long term.

I imagine the cash was similar to Beams to get him out of Collingwood. Lions paid two first rnd draft picks (one to us one to Gold Coast). Very Big price says to me they knew Beams was going.

Freo isn’t perfect but has young talent , Brisbane are looking solid in their rebuild with plenty of top 10 picks. Look forward to the 2x Lachie Cup in 2019 and our lists going head to head.

My opinion only, Fiancée saw the $$ , moment she saw the contract she sold the business and lachie was gone. Interested to see how this one turns out long term.

I imagine the cash was similar to Beams to get him out of Collingwood. Lions paid two first rnd draft picks (one to us one to Gold Coast). Very Big price says to me they knew Beams was going.

Freo isn’t perfect but has young talent , Brisbane are looking solid in their rebuild with plenty of top 10 picks. Look forward to the 2x Lachie Cup in 2019 and our lists going head to head.

Reckon the Q Clash needs to be renamed?

From a success perspective, time will tell if Lachie made the right decision to leave.

There's a lot of similarity in age profile and level of talent between the Brisbane and Freo lists - we have just as bright a future as the Lions do. One of the main differences is that the Lions are becoming the 'feel good' story of the AFL (which is a good thing for the competition by the way), whilst Ross Lyon, and our club by extension, have an unfair, negative stigma attached to them because of the overly defensive style of football we used to play 3-4 years ago at our peak.

The coaching panel's ability and effectiveness is a debatable topic, but the theoretical foundations of our fast paced slingshot game are now imprinted in a majority of the team. The next 12 months will most likely be our last consolidation year as we're undergoing a final big list turnover. We also have some serious firepower coming into our forward line so it will take time for that chemistry to develop. We'll probably finish somewhere between 8-12 in 2019, whilst the real gains will start to appear in 2020 when we make a serious push for finals. In my mind, the Lions are following a similar trajectory and will likely become a contender to rival us in a few years.

Lachie Neale didn't leave for success because he already had the same chance, or greater chance of success with us - everyone knows that success isn't guaranteed in this game. Lachie Neale most likely left because he wanted to get out of the limelight and found a club that was willing to remunerate him at either the same level, or greater level than what we were willing to offer.

Last edited:
Also who's ever worked at a job 7 years and not wanted to get the f**k out of there. I last about 2-3 years before I need a change of scenery.
My first job lasted 15 years and I only left because the company went under. I’ve been with my partner for 27 years. I’m the 102nd member of Freo. I guess commitment is important to me.

Harris Andrews is the odds on favourite - current VC at 21 and a home-grown academy kid. Which does kind of matter given that our last captain just departed! But Lachie does seem very impressive so who knows how it turns out in a year or two.

Like others I do want to say I've very much enjoyed interacting with you all the last few weeks and it is good to see you have such a productive trade period. I was a bit of a sceptic of Bell's strategy to begin with but you can't say that he didn't get pretty exceptional results - from the picks you started with to bring in Hogan and Lobb and still pick in the top 15 (and pick up plenty of later picks!) is pretty extraordinary.

I wondered if it’s something that was mooted to him in his discussions with the lions. I always thought Lachie played in Nat’s shadow a bit and played better when Nat was out of the side. The carrot of a greater leadership role might have helped to turn his head. Zorko could be captain for another year or two, then Lachie for another three years giving Harris Andrews time to develop as a player and leader.

Was never a fan of Neale, but good luck to him. Sorry, but I truly believe it was all about the money - even he can't come up with another reason. I would have been far more understanding if he went back to Adelaide citing home as his reason. There were times this season when I even commented that his heart wasn't in it and maybe he was tired/injured.

Saying he went after money is not talking him down, it's giving a very genuine and powerful reason for him to leave if he "loved Freo and Ross Lyon".

It's not like when Judd left because he was sick of the coke culture.
Interesting take

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No way I’m booing him when he comes back to play against us.

I’d lose my voice.
I'll boo him when he kicks at goal like I do to all opposition players. Other than that I wont boo every possession.

I'll save that honour for Gaff.

Just because he doesn't articulate his reasons directly in the media, doesn't mean they don't exist and that therefore in the absence of anything else 'it must be money'. I think you're reading a bit deep into both his season, and what sits behind his move.
What did exist behind his move ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is probably literally no incentive in stirring this pot up again, especially when I made previous posts alluding to his youthful spirit as incentive to leave.

Buuuuuut I caught up with a friend whose partner works at the Dockers (in a ground-level admin role); and the feedback from her was that Lachie was unhappy with the professionalism demonstrated by around half a dozen footballers in the club - this was expressed by Lachie to Ross at the mid-season review. The topics were around standards (i.e. Harley Bennell) and out-of-shape players (i.e. Cam McCarthy), and the fact that not every player is being held to the highest standard of integrity. Lachie was rebuffed by Ross, and told that these weren't matter for him to worry about.

Lachie is good friends with Lincoln McCarthy - and it was him that was courted by the Lions first. He tapped Fagan on the shoulder and suggested he reach out to Lachie, as he had walked away from the mid-season review unsatisfied and worried about the club's direction. Fagan apparently told Lincoln he wouldn't have thought to reach out to Lachie as he had been so adamant on staying with Fremantle during his last contract, but once he knew he was open they made a full plan of attack to go for his services.

This employee was just ground-level, and received this info through standard work-place gossip. She's not open to the inner-workings of the club. I also realise how silly it sounds mentioning this now after I'd previously come up with other theories for him leaving. Worth outlining here though.

There is probably literally no incentive in stirring this pot up again, especially when I made previous posts alluding to his youthful spirit as incentive to leave.

Buuuuuut I caught up with a friend whose partner works at the Dockers (in a ground-level admin role); and the feedback from her was that Lachie was unhappy with the professionalism demonstrated by around half a dozen footballers in the club - this was expressed by Lachie to Ross at the mid-season review. The topics were around standards (i.e. Harley Bennell) and out-of-shape players (i.e. Cam McCarthy), and the fact that not every player is being held to the highest standard of integrity. Lachie was rebuffed by Ross, and told that these weren't matter for him to worry about.

Lachie is good friends with Lincoln McCarthy - and it was him that was courted by the Lions first. He tapped Fagan on the shoulder and suggested he reach out to Lachie, as he had walked away from the mid-season review unsatisfied and worried about the club's direction. Fagan apparently told Lincoln he wouldn't have thought to reach out to Lachie as he had been so adamant on staying with Fremantle during his last contract, but once he knew he was open they made a full plan of attack to go for his services.

This employee was just ground-level, and received this info through standard work-place gossip. She's not open to the inner-workings of the club. I also realise how silly it sounds mentioning this now after I'd previously come up with other theories for him leaving. Worth outlining here though.

I’m sure there are players like that at every club. I would think if true, the part that would have pissed of Neale was his opinion being dismissed and powerless to change, rather than unprofessional conduct being the main driver for leaving.

I think reasons for leaving are big $$’s, some sort of back handed deal for his partner, some other back handed access to beachside houses and a strong possibility of being captain in 2 years.

Otherwise if purely for cultural reasons, you would think he’d go someone with a better renowned culture, not saying it’s bad but it isn’t exactly what Brisbane is known for.

Can’t speak to the rumours about Lachie and his feelings about Freo, but the timeline you mentioned about us tapping up Lincoln McCarthy first and him actively suggesting we have a chat to Neale was certainly corroborated by David Noble on the latest podcast on the Lions site.

This feels about right to me.

It makes sense in the overall narrative of what's been put out there publically. Also links in with Bell coming into his role, losing Lloyd, the comments on Harley being shopped around, etc. The club is resetting a few things internally

I think reasons for leaving are big $$’s, some sort of back handed deal for his partner, some other back handed access to beachside houses and a strong possibility of being captain in 2 years.

A riverfront house maybe. Certainly won’t be beachfront unless he wants a big daily commute. Or likes mudflats ;)

Captaincy won’t be part of the deal. Harris Andrews is concretely established as captain in waiting and he will be well ready after 2 more years of Zorko. In fact he will probably be co captain after next year.

That's one of the more plausible theories I've seen, over and above the $$$$'s.

I also tend to think Lachie was being challenged about his own development. There were a few times in the last two years where he was played as a half forward or off the back of the square that seemed a little strange at the time.

Has anyone been in a workplace where half a dozen employees don't annoy the **** out of you because they aren't as professional as they should be? It's not just plausible, it is pretty much normal in any organisation the size of an AFL club. No doubt there would be players fitting that description at every club. I can see why we'd be vulnerable to it as well having turned over 22 players in the past two off seasons. It's interesting though, that quite a few players we have traded in have commented on how much more professional Freo was than their previous club (and not just Matera from GC). I think this points to a few bad eggs rather than a widespread cultural problem like the media likes to portray.

I'd say we have already taken the necessary actions to try and resolve the problem. I doubt Lachie would have been the only person providing that feedback. Putting Bell into the Footy Manager role seems a really smart one to enforce minimum professional standards by all our players. It will take tremendous pressure off Ross. With so many out of contract next year it's perfect timing to put a strict line in the sand.

I can't wait to see if new standards off field translates to far better performances on field. A more professional McCarthy for instance could be anything, and who knows maybe even Bennell turns things around? Both would be walk up elite AFL players if they finally manage to harness their natural talent.

Sorry to see Lachie go. Gave his best when he pulled on the purple.

But you have to give quality to get quality and we came out of trade week with some valuable additions to our list. We can cover the loss of Lachie at least to some extent and we now have two mature contested marking forwards to kick to.

I don’t doubt that a percentage of what we are hearing about Lachie having issues with the professionalism of some of the players is true. However I strongly suspect it wouldn’t have been as big as issue for him if he’d already been on 750k instead of 500k or whatever it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back