Multiplat Lego Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Having never played a Lego game, what are these like? Much fun to play or are they suited more for kids?

I bought Lego Marvel Super Heroes for my son (who was three at the time) thinking it would be just a kids' game. My children, ranging in ages from four to 11, love the game, but I've also enjoyed playing it. The puzzles were tricky enough to require some mental gymnastics for me to solve playing with the children, but they really love the open world aspect to the game now. We could leave them play for 2 hours just exploring Manhattan, now that we've finished the main story missions.

I bought Lego Marvel Super Heroes for my son (who was three at the time) thinking it would be just a kids' game. My children, ranging in ages from four to 11, love the game, but I've also enjoyed playing it. The puzzles were tricky enough to require some mental gymnastics for me to solve playing with the children, but they really love the open world aspect to the game now. We could leave them play for 2 hours just exploring Manhattan, now that we've finished the main story missions.
Interesting. I might try and pick one up on the cheap and see what I think.

Any recommendations for the best one so far?

Interesting. I might try and pick one up on the cheap and see what I think.

Any recommendations for the best one so far?

We only have the Marvel Super Heroes, so we're not the best informed. Good Game SP reviewed Marvel Avengers on the weekend - you can catch the review on iView.

I was looking yesterday and Big W was selling Avengers for $58, which is a fair discount.

We only have the Marvel Super Heroes, so we're not the best informed. Good Game SP reviewed Marvel Avengers on the weekend - you can catch the review on iView.

I was looking yesterday and Big W was selling Avengers for $58, which is a fair discount.
Thanks mate, might check it out. Hoping I'm impressed, the Star Wars one looks like it could be fun!

They're pretty much all the same so IMO just stick to IPs you like. Superheroes and Avengers are my personal favourites due to the mentioned open world aspects. Superheroes probably has better puzzles but Avengers uses the last couple movies as source material.

Jurassic World and Lego Movie games used hubs in place of something like the open world Manhattan of Superheroes and Avengers that I didn't enjoy as much. By completion of story mode in a typical Lego game you will only be 25%-30% completed and will require 20-30 hours to go 100% which is where the real beauty lies. This involves replaying every level again but you get to use any character you want to get hidden collectables as well as stuff in open world area.

They're pretty much all the same so IMO just stick to IPs you like. Superheroes and Avengers are my personal favourites due to the mentioned open world aspects. Superheroes probably has better puzzles but Avengers uses the last couple movies as source material.

Jurassic World and Lego Movie games used hubs in place of something like the open world Manhattan of Superheroes and Avengers that I didn't enjoy as much. By completion of story mode in a typical Lego game you will only be 25%-30% completed and will require 20-30 hours to go 100% which is where the real beauty lies. This involves replaying every level again but you get to use any character you want to get hidden collectables as well as stuff in open world area.
I'm not much of an Avengers fan. Who were the superheroes in the other one?

At the risk of revealing my nerdy side, I don't suppose the Harry Potter one was on this gen?

I'm not much of an Avengers fan. Who were the superheroes in the other one?

At the risk of revealing my nerdy side, I don't suppose the Harry Potter one was on this gen?
They're only last gen, however if you're looking for the best LEGO games. The Harry Potter one's are definitely up there.

I don't really care for the Harry Potter IP, but the LEGO versions are undeniably awesome. Especially with their take on the lack of pure, constant combat.

It's a lot more puzzle based and world solving than the other games too, which for me had a better balance than some of the other games.

The Force Awakens Lego game demo is now available to play via the PlayStation store. I don't have an xBox, so I have no idea if you can play the demo on that console.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Superheroes and Avengers are Marvel, so the same range of characters.
My ex bought me Superheroes a couple of years ago, which I really enjoyed. Really liked just stuffing around New York. Just finished playing Batman 3, still enjoyed it but not as much as Superheroes as it didn't have that big open world (just a few smaller areas) and the puzzles were far less challenging. Does Avengers have a big open world too? If so, I might pick it up.

My ex bought me Superheroes a couple of years ago, which I really enjoyed. Really liked just stuffing around New York. Just finished playing Batman 3, still enjoyed it but not as much as Superheroes as it didn't have that big open world (just a few smaller areas) and the puzzles were far less challenging. Does Avengers have a big open world too? If so, I might pick it up.

Superheroes was great, probably the best one yet. Avengers is very similar but kind of samey. Uses the same map of Manhattan as Superheroes but provides a few extra hubs too. Puzzles are very simplistic and get rather mundane if you're looking to 100% the game but it is probably a little more polished overall in general from Superheroes.

Anyone tried the new one yet? I have it installed and should be diving in soon. I liked the demo, the multi build thing opens up some extra puzzle opportunities (fingers crossed anyway) and the air combat part was cool.

Only had a chance to play the prologue mission tonight (Battle of Endor). Man, flying through the Death Star II was awesome!

Only had a chance to play the prologue mission tonight (Battle of Endor). Man, flying through the Death Star II was awesome!

So far I've only done that and chapter 1 and so far pretty lengthy missions. The cover fire thing is pretty cool. Obviously I need to get further in still but I'm liking some of new character abilities too. The hubs seem fairly confined like the Lego Movie game, they probably couldn't achieve it in a Star Wars game but I'm more of a fan of the Marvel and Jurassic Park hubs that are more expansive and give you a bit of room to muck around. All positive from me so far though. TT have done a good job.

So far I've only done that and chapter 1 and so far pretty lengthy missions. The cover fire thing is pretty cool. Obviously I need to get further in still but I'm liking some of new character abilities too. The hubs seem fairly confined like the Lego Movie game, they probably couldn't achieve it in a Star Wars game but I'm more of a fan of the Marvel and Jurassic Park hubs that are more expansive and give you a bit of room to muck around. All positive from me so far though. TT have done a good job.
I ended up picking up Avengers after your last comment. Only about 7% through at the moment (got it on Tuesday) but enjoying it so far. I'm the same, prefer the open world hubs. I found Batman 3 a little tedious as all the hubs are small and the lantern planet hubs were pretty average.

I'm starting to really dig Force Awakens. The levels are super long, I'm not quite up to free play mode so hopefully there are checkpoint starts like in the last couple games so don't have to play through an entire level for minikits.
I'm getting this, it looks great, I just don't know whether to get it on PC or the Wii U.

Up to free play which activates at the end of the story levels and in terms of gameplay and design this may be the best one yet (still prefer Superheroes and Avengers but I think that's because I'm a bigger fan of the Marvel IP :D).

Levels are huge but there are less of them in the main story mode. Where this sets itself apart from previous Lego games is only about half the levels are available in story mode and I suspect this has a lot to do with it being a movie game that is only one of a trilogy. This mode takes you through the events of Force Awakens but for the first time many of the remaining levels are locked behind yellow bricks. Previously they only mattered to completionists but now you're going to need to collect at least some to be able to play all the levels.

The biggest con on this game is if you're not really into trophies/achievements then maybe wait for a discount. While the story levels are much longer than anything they've done before you're probably still going to be done in no time if all you want to play are the main story levels. As usual for completionists there is a ton of content.

I typically follow Happy Thumbs Gaming on YouTube for level minikit guides (Brian at HTG is pretty entertaining too) but they didn't get an early copy so they don't have their collectable guides up yet and I'm just cruising around the hubs collecting bricks and studs and the extra levels until then.

Up to free play which activates at the end of the story levels and in terms of gameplay and design this may be the best one yet (still prefer Superheroes and Avengers but I think that's because I'm a bigger fan of the Marvel IP :D).

Levels are huge but there are less of them in the main story mode. Where this sets itself apart from previous Lego games is only about half the levels are available in story mode and I suspect this has a lot to do with it being a movie game that is only one of a trilogy. This mode takes you through the events of Force Awakens but for the first time many of the remaining levels are locked behind yellow bricks. Previously they only mattered to completionists but now you're going to need to collect at least some to be able to play all the levels.

The biggest con on this game is if you're not really into trophies/achievements then maybe wait for a discount. While the story levels are much longer than anything they've done before you're probably still going to be done in no time if all you want to play are the main story levels. As usual for completionists there is a ton of content.

I typically follow Happy Thumbs Gaming on YouTube for level minikit guides (Brian at HTG is pretty entertaining too) but they didn't get an early copy so they don't have their collectable guides up yet and I'm just cruising around the hubs collecting bricks and studs and the extra levels until then.

The New Star Wars Adventures levels that you unlock with yellow bricks are canon?

The New Star Wars Adventures levels that you unlock with yellow bricks are canon?

Unsure, haven't played many :D in Avengers they included 2 or 3 levels after the story but they were taken from other movies like Iron Man 3. Don't recall TT just making stuff up completely from scratch ever so I assume the extra levels might loosely be based on other movies or stuff that has been alluded to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back