List Mgmt. Lever Traded!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see what happens in four years' time.

If he handles the end of the Melbourne contract as he handled the end of the Crows contract, and shops himself then as aggressively as he did this time, then he may find another club. Melbourne fans might think that 2 x firsts to get Jake Lever for four years only was not great value....
No way he leaves after 4, he's already told them he wants to repay their faith in him and be a ten year player.

I thought that at the time.

Not true though. Once we matched and forced the trade, he was in the exact same boat as Lever.

It was a horrid deal.

We never matched. This is the myth that people keep throwing out there. Official offer sheet was never signed by Dangerfield and we never matched anything. There was an understanding that we would match so both teams are better of trading.

We didn’t have as much leverage as people think but regardless of that, we should have gotten a better deal than we did.

What has Melbourne seen in this guy that is worth the huge buckeroos and 2 first rounders?

Like many I have seen every game he has ever played and would be the first to admit he has something special to offer as an intercept mark, a 3rd up defender or loose man in defence. But I don't ever remember Lever being the difference between a win and a loss in any game. He was instrumental in our defence but Jake was never a game changer.

The coaches didn't rate him in the top ten this season and yet he has netted us and himself a bounty. And all thanks to the Melbourne footy club........

I have no doubt Jake will be a good contributor in their backline but seriously......come next season and their supporters realise they don't have another first round draft pick and a few player managers realise the MFC is tougher to deal wth all of a sudden. By this time Jake had better be earning Brownlow and B&F votes to back up their investment.
Its no longer or issue.. Ive said all along that our team makes him look a million bucks. He isn't a great 1v1 and not a super contested mark like gov who is the clear best intercept in the comp. Im happy the deal is done. Here's to the dees missing finals again.

We never matched. This is the myth that people keep throwing out there. Official offer sheet was never signed by Dangerfield and we never matched anything. There was an understanding that we would match so both teams are better of trading.

We didn’t have as much leverage as people think but regardless of that, we should have gotten a better deal than we did.
True, I'd forgotten that.

Still don't see much difference. Uncontracted player- strike a trade or go in the draft.

I asked this before, and I can't remember if it was answered

Has there ever been a time when an out of contract player nominated a club, a trade couldn't get done, then that player got picked up by the nominated club in the draft.

I can't remember it.

Easy for us to say, but always seems risky for the receiving club and the player not to do a deal.

Has there ever been a time when an out of contract player nominated a club, a trade couldn't get done, then that player got picked up by the nominated club in the draft.

I can't remember it.

Easy for us to say, but always seems risky for the receiving club and the player not to do a deal.
Tippet

I thought that at the time.

Not true though. Once we matched and forced the trade, he was in the exact same boat as Lever.

It was a horrid deal.

Yup

Lazy analysis provides the comfort to believe the situation was different, but in truth they were the same

Melbourne - I don’t wanna give 2 firsts

Geelong - I don’t wanna give 2 firsts

What made Geelong worse was that they were getting a much better player and wanted to keep their picks & cap to do other trades

We effectively helped subsidise Geelongs acquisition of Zac Smith, Lachie Henderson and Scott Selwood!

That deal will look more horrible as time goes on

That’s not true

Danger never signed an offer sheet, because Geelong didn’t want to pay what would be needed to get him as a FA.

They wanted to pay him less, so they could never access his FA characteristics

If they paid a FA salary, then they could not acquire the other targets

They had no leverage if they wanted to follow plan A.

Mr 1 week executive education had learnt a new word and folded.

That’s not true

Danger never signed an offer sheet, because Geelong didn’t want to pay what would be needed to get him as a FA.

They wanted to pay him less, so they could never access his FA characteristics

If they paid a FA salary, then they could not acquire the other targets

They had no leverage if they wanted to follow plan A.

Mr 1 week executive education had learnt a new word and folded.

"Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts."

Off to the draft!!!

"Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts."

Off to the draft!!!

The player can negotiate a trade too.

Off to the draft!!!
Is a third year player a Restricted Agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember it.

Ben Jacobs, picked up by North at Pick 37 in the 2012 National Draft after a deal couldn't get done with Port.

2 1st round picks (700 x 2) and a 4th round pick (200) = $ 1.6 million per year in cap
Melb receive 2nd 3rd round picks (450) per year in cap

Adelaide are on average $1.15 million per year in front

lose Lever a $700 year player on average best case with no injuries remembering he is an ACL and hamstring injury already !! which reduces it to $415 000 per year best case - he is a 21year old and Melbourne want to pay him $900k a year - overs for at least the first 3 years and on top they have to hope he remains in one piece.

In my opinion:

Adelaide are miles in front on this deal - Lever was 8% below the AFL average for winning one on one contests(29-37) and for what Melbourne have paid they will want him to take the best forwards whereas he spent this year taking the third forward in most cases.

In my opinion Melbourne have taken a large step backwards and this trade is an example of people losing their marbles when they see a good player become available - they have paid huge overs and Adelaide are the beneficiaries.

... In my opinion Melbourne have taken a large step backwards and this trade is an example of people losing their marbles when they see a good player become available - they have paid huge overs and Adelaide are the beneficiaries.
Thank heavens for that.

Now that the deal is signed and the ink dried ... LET HER RIP!!! :D

Is a third year player a Restricted Agent?
NOPE!!!

To be a RFA, you need to be a top 25% earner at your club, and have at least 8 years of service. You then qualify for Unrestricted Free Agency after at least 10 years of service. The important words there are "at least", because there are also technicalities that deal with when a player falls out of contract that overlaps with with the 8years to 10years of service.
if you are outside of the top 25%, you qualify as an unrestricted free agent after 8 years.

Technically Lever is not a RFA, but the consequences are virtually identical.

The power that the club has, exists only so far as the clubs willingness to exercise it and enforce it.

The reason why the media went to town on us, all in unison, was that they expected us to fold. weaken our resolve, and under that pressure, cave in like we did with the Dangerfield scenario. make us Think that somehow by enforcing and exercising our rights, we are somehow doing something wrong.

Glad we are better than that now.

What has Melbourne seen in this guy that is worth the huge buckeroos and 2 first rounders?

Like many I have seen every game he has ever played and would be the first to admit he has something special to offer as an intercept mark, a 3rd up defender or loose man in defence. But I don't ever remember Lever being the difference between a win and a loss in any game. He was instrumental in our defence but Jake was never a game changer.

The coaches didn't rate him in the top ten this season and yet he has netted us and himself a bounty. And all thanks to the Melbourne footy club........

I have no doubt Jake will be a good contributor in their backline but seriously......come next season and their supporters realise they don't have another first round draft pick and a few player managers realise the MFC is tougher to deal wth all of a sudden. By this time Jake had better be earning Brownlow and B&F votes to back up their investment.

He's a tall defender who reads the play exceptionally well, makes very good decisions and kicks the ball very well. If he's used effectively he can be a very useful player, taking intercept marks, killing contests with a spoil, and then he can work off his man going the other way with good ball use. The plus (apparently) leadership skills.

Is that plus a second round pick worth $850k and two first round picks? Apparently Melbourne think so.

I can't remember it.

Luke Ball in 2009.

Pies offered their second round pick, it was rejected by St Kilda so they ended up using that pick to draft him in the National Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back