Recommitted Levi Casboult [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what he wants but 3 x $400k would probably get it over the line I think - that would make him band 3

Earl Spalding wasn't a great kick either but won a flag in 1995.

Would suit a top end team wanting a key forward that takes pack marks around CHF and straightens them up more than a developing team

Not sure if Richmond would be interested. We need a tall forward but we are going for Schache at the moment. I don't think (and hope) we will go for a three tall forward line. If this is the case then Casboult would only be there for back up if Riewoldt, Schache or Nankervis get injured. Casboult probably want more opportunity to play than that.

Though Casboult would probably be a good "plan B" if Richmond misses out on Schache.

Not sure if Richmond would be interested. We need a tall forward but we are going for Schache at the moment. I don't think (and hope) we will go for a three tall forward line. If this is the case then Casboult would only be there for back up if Riewoldt, Schache or Nankervis get injured. Casboult probably want more opportunity to play than that.

Though Casboult would probably be a good "plan B" if Richmond misses out on Schache.
Works for me.

CFC gets Schache, Richmond use the war chest to prise out Casboult (who is ready to go now whilst the Tiges are contending). Brisbane get something too. Everyone wins

Agreed, we need something

I just think there are better first choice options out there so wouldn't sell the farm
I think that is why Casboult makes sense for Richmond. Tiges can still draft two first rounders this year to improve team quality at a low player payment cost. Open the Warchest to buy Casboult who does the Fwd/Ruck work and breaks the packs/takes I50 marks. Play the small elite forwards you already have along with Jack.

But not sure I want Casboult to leave CFC as we have a young forward group so he is a needed presence. Expect CFC will offer Casboult more salary for significantly improved goal accuracy this year (17.4)

Last edited:
At the right price he would be a great fit at your club.

He is a great mark and can play back up ruck.

Plus you're not giving up anything but cap space, and not much over the average wage most likely.

I think he's definitely got AFL value.

Keep in mind he has been at a bottom 4 team most of his career.

Yeah has value to a club.

Particularly one with a dearth of key forwards.
Is really just starting to contribute on the scoreboard this year and is 28 next year.

Prefer it wasn't Richmond though.
Would rather Schache or Reid.

I think that is why Casboult makes sense for Richmond. Tiges can still draft two first rounders this year to improve team quality at a low player payment cost. Open the Warchest to buy Casboult who does the Fwd/Ruck work and breaks the packs/takes I50 marks. Play the small elite forwards you already have along with Jack.

But not sure I want Casboult to leave CFC as we have a young forward group so he is a needed presence. Expect CFC will offer Casboult more salary for significantly improved goal accuracy this year (17.4)
You'd be lucky to get any compensation for what we'd want to pay him

We also wouldn't get him if our other options came through

I think Collingwood would be a good fit for him if he left us.

Help take pressure off Moore and share in that back up role that Moore is having to do behind Grundy right now.

If Mayne is worth 500k a year to them surely a better fit like Casboult is.

Doubt it.
Mayne, Wells and Vickery were all band 3 and all on $500k or more.
Luenberger was closer to the above numbers and was band 4.
i think that vickery was only for 2 years though. thought that the average salary next year goes up to about $360k so doubt that $400k is enough. landscape has just changed with schache re-signed by lions. not many 1.7 goal a game and 8 hitouts a game forwards who are really durable left. hoping that carlton offer another 2 @ $425k and he stays. can understand that this might be his last chance at a big contract so good luck to him whatever he does.

Well Richmond lost out on Schache... Big Cas looking for a pay day.. all the power to him.

If he leaves the Blues you know it will be $500k or there abouts.

I can smell Ross Lyon here somewhere for some reason

Well Richmond lost out on Schache... Big Cas looking for a pay day.. all the power to him.

You can't lose what you didn't have.

It's a bit like saying Carlton missed on him. You did claim the "drums were beating" or some such thing. Selective memory perhaps.

Didn't you also claim Casboult was in carlton's top 25% best paid players. Just what is he being paid now?

You can't lose what you didn't have.

It's a bit like saying Carlton missed on him. You did claim the "drums were beating" or some such thing. Selective memory perhaps.

Didn't you also claim Casboult was in carlton's top 25% best paid players. Just what is he being paid now?

He's on 280k.

If he was in our top 25% highest paid players we would have a new salary cap penalty to deal with. That of underpayment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's on 280k.

If he was in our top 25% highest paid players we would have a new salary cap penalty to deal with. That of underpayment

Bit different than what pinot claimed then.
No doubt if he stays he'll be due a pay rise. He has improved his goal kicking a fair bit. He's been a good, fairly decent mark, can spell in the ruck. He has some value.

Bit different than what pinot claimed then.
No doubt if he stays he'll be due a pay rise. He has improved his goal kicking a fair bit. He's been a good, fairly decent mark, can spell in the ruck. He has some value.

Hes proven to be comical without Rocca being his goal kicking coach. Unless its a package deal clubs would have to be wary. Hes an odd one. His best and worst are miles apart.

At the right price he would be a great fit at your club.

He is a great mark and can play back up ruck.

Plus you're not giving up anything but cap space, and not much over the average wage most likely.

I think he's definitely got AFL value.

Keep in mind he has been at a bottom 4 team most of his career.
It is rare that we agree on things Kruzering,But on this occasion i do agree with you :eek:

Casboult isnt a world beater but with the makeup of our foward line with the small/speed elements he could work and provide the contest that either brings the ball at the feet of the smalls or marks and kicks the goal - Just have to make sure its less than 20mtrs out.

$400k x 3 years i would be ok with that

I think Collingwood would be a good fit for him if he left us.

Help take pressure off Moore and share in that back up role that Moore is having to do behind Grundy right now.

If Mayne is worth 500k a year to them surely a better fit like Casboult is.

just 2 things that i see wrong with the collingwood scenario

1. Collingwood have paid big $$$ in the past 3 years to so many players that do they have the space ?
greenwood
Varcoe
Howe
Treloar
Adams
Mayne
Aish
plus they have their own guys like pendles,Sidebottom,moore,grundy,elliot,reid etc - could be stretching purse strings abit

2nd thing is They got rid of cloke but casboult is extremely similar with the similar issue's , Casboult is effectively replacing cloke ?

Nobody is going to pay Casboult $500k+ , Think Cloke took a hefty pay cut to go to doggies with Pies still paying part of his salary, Casboult would be an option for a team but only if its a cheap band aid option.

Was pretty good again today.
Missed a few he should have kicked but also kicked one from 45m out...even the best players have off days and miss some they should kick.

I really don't want to lose him now...he plays quite an important role for us being the mature, big body down there while also being the chop out 2nd ruck.

All our other tall forwards are young...SOSOS, Curnow, Weitering, McKay & Kerr.

Was pretty good again today.
Missed a few he should have kicked but also kicked one from 45m out...even the best players have off days and miss some they should kick.

I really don't want to lose him now...he plays quite an important role for us being the mature, big body down there while also being the chop out 2nd ruck.

All our other tall forwards are young...SOSOS, Curnow, Weitering, McKay & Kerr.

I agree. Carlton should make his signing a priority.

SOSOS is a young undersized forward.
Curnow a young leading forward that pushes into the midfield.

Weitering should eventually move down back.
Mackay and Kerr have shown nothing at AFL level.

If Cas left he would be throwing the latter to be the primary forward marketing target. Crazy development plan.

Cas is pretty important to the younger players development for another couple of years at the Blues.

There's plenty of room there to bring in Mackay/Kerr with him in there taking the best defender.

Could be argued that few clubs could use him more than the Tigers. Could also argue we would have only lost 1 game so far this year if we had him.

I wouldnt imagine he is plan A, but we should be 100% talking to him.

3 x $400-500K per year contract is probably thereabouts IMO.

Nobody is going to pay Casboult $500k+ , Think Cloke took a hefty pay cut to go to doggies with Pies still paying part of his salary, Casboult would be an option for a team but only if its a cheap band aid option.

Collingwood arent paying 1 cent of clokes salary. That's pure fiction.

Cas shopped himself last year and failed to get a sniff. Fast forward 6 months he is already doing it again. Gibbs asked to be traded, club refused. This is 2 senior players who would rather be elsewhere than buy into a club rebuild. Why on earth would any club want to keep re-signing mercenaries like this?

When it comes to players shopping themselves around and asking to be traded I would've thought someone who supports the Giants to be a little quiet on the topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back