Recommitted Levi Casboult [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say if he's offered enough for band 2 or 3 compo (pick 19 or 21ish) we'll let him walk.

I wouldn't mind him staying and playing out his career with us. He'll never be your 50-60 goal a year forward but he straightens us up and provides great protection for Curnow and SOS, and soon to be Mckay. He's even been a genuine hassle for 5-6 teams already this season and I could see him finishing the year with around 45 goals which is a good return in a bottom side.

Will be interesting to see what he decides should he get offers.
No way he gets a deal worthy of that

No way he gets a deal worthy of that

With the salary cap increase + the general need to offer more $ and years to get a player to move, you'd be surprised. Especially if he's coming off a 40+ goal season at a bottom 4 side. Even Vickery got band 3 IIRC.

If it's less than band 3 we are better keeping him IMO.

With the salary cap increase + the general need to offer more $ and years to get a player to move, you'd be surprised. Especially if he's coming off a 40+ goal season at a bottom 4 side. Even Vickery got band 3 IIRC.

If it's less than band 3 we are better keeping him IMO.

He is unrestricted so you cant match an offer anyway, if he chooses to be gone he is gone.

He is unrestricted so you cant match an offer anyway, if he chooses to be gone he is gone.

If it's an offer that attracts band 3 or more I doubt we will bother negotiating with him.

If it's anything that won't get us band 3 e.g ~400k I assume we will 'match' that and he'll stay. He has no real incentive to leave us. It won't be a match in the free agency sense but it'll be enough to stop him from moving clubs.

I would take him, he could be worth a try to take the pressure off Hipwood, Schache (if he stays) and Ballenden (academy KPF this year). He can clunk a mark and create a contest.

my feeling is that carlton will offer 2 years at just shy of what would get a band 3 offer (maybe $400k?). generally speaking it takes an extra year or extra $100k to get a player to move. so 3 years @ $500k required? averaging 1.7 goals a game this year and 8 hitouts a game as a relief ruckman in a team that doesn't get a lot of inside 50's. would prefer to keep him but any takers at that price?
500k for an average forward/ruck?
*Hawthorn likes this*

He was a free agent last year and couldnt get an offer from anyone so signed a 1 year deal at apparently $280k and wants to walk again and people now think he is worth $500k???? On top of the Gibbs situation, if Carlton sign Casboult again after this Im not sure what they stand for as a club.

He was a free agent last year and couldnt get an offer from anyone so signed a 1 year deal at apparently $280k and wants to walk again and people now think he is worth $500k???? On top of the Gibbs situation, if Carlton sign Casboult again after this Im not sure what they stand for as a club.

Man you're gonna be salty when we get Hopper and Kennedy :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond should be all over him instead of Schache. Levi wouldn't be worth much and they can then hit the draft for a good KPF prospect.

Watch us get linked, especially if Waite and Goldstein are on the out.

Having a reasonable year and I reckon there'd be a few clubs looking at him.

Happy enough for him to stay on our terms, but if an offer comes that gets us back into the second round my guess is we'll be equally as happy to part ways.

Richmond could do a hell of a lot worse IMO. He'd be a perfect support act for Jack for a couple of years.

Most clubs would have him, at worst he's a very good depth player, also pretty handy relief ruckman and takes the a lot of marks off long "kick and hope" entry's inside 50 or long down the line kicks.

Not sure he'll get the big payday but solid for a club like us with skinny developing forwards or good insurance as depth for a finals side.

I don't think most clubs would have him at 550K+ though and that's what it may take, allowing Carlton band 2, or 3 compo.
There may be a few Victorian clubs that may show interest though.........Richmond, Collingwood and maybe Melbourne.

Freo won't get him, but that's irrelevant. 12 months from now The West will be writing Freo missed another tall forward. Something like: "Freo have been linked to Casboult, Cloke, Franklin, Clarke, Lockett, Dunstall, The Shaq, Andre the Giant and Gordan Coventry ... blah blah blah.. without success"

Attempted cheap shot that misses wildly... The 'Gibbs' situation is going great, we kept a player who is playing great football. If he goes year end we'll get good compensation... How is that anything like the Casboult free agency stuff, Casboult isn't in the same league as Gibbs as a player and would be useful for another year or so. You're an odd lurker who seems to pot Carlton at every opportunity you get on the main boards.

Freo won't get him, but that's irrelevant. 12 months from now The West will be writing Freo missed another tall forward. Something like: "Freo have been linked to Casboult, Cloke, Franklin, Clarke, Lockett, Dunstall, The Shaq, Andre the Giant and Gordan Coventry ... blah blah blah.. without success"
Pav was alright though...

Attempted cheap shot that misses wildly... The 'Gibbs' situation is going great, we kept a player who is playing great football. If he goes year end we'll get good compensation... How is that anything like the Casboult free agency stuff, Casboult isn't in the same league as Gibbs as a player and would be useful for another year or so. You're an odd lurker who seems to pot Carlton at every opportunity you get on the main boards.

I'll make it easy for you to understand, because you clearly miss the point. Cas shopped himself last year and failed to get a sniff. Fast forward 6 months he is already doing it again. Gibbs asked to be traded, club refused. This is 2 senior players who would rather be elsewhere than buy into a club rebuild. Why on earth would any club want to keep re-signing mercenaries like this? What message does it send to a young playing group? A club culture needs to be established ahead of just giving guys like Casboult another contract just because the compo isnt high enough.

I'll make it easy for you to understand, because you clearly miss the point. Cas shopped himself last year and failed to get a sniff. Fast forward 6 months he is already doing it again. Gibbs asked to be traded, club refused. This is 2 senior players who would rather be elsewhere than buy into a club rebuild. Why on earth would any club want to keep re-signing mercenaries like this? What message does it send to a young playing group? A club culture needs to be established ahead of just giving guys like Casboult another contract just because the compo isnt high enough.

You mean like refusing to trade Cam Mcarthy when he'd rather be elsewhere?

And for the record, Gibbs and Casboult both love the club. Gibbs requested a trade because his wife wanted to move home and not because he didn't enjoy playing at Carlton. Casboult has every right to try and maximise his earnings as a limited footballer.

I can't believe I'm even biting at such a stupid troll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back