MRP / Trib. Lewis 2 weeks, Hodge 3 weeks - OPPOSITION POSTERS WILL BE CARDED

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but wonder what the outcome would of been if it had been a player not in brownlow contention. It was as deliberate as deliberate can be and thankfully the outcome wasn't a bad one and IMO fyfe got lucky.

As for SJ, they are obviously feeling sorry for a guy who is now over the hill and having to resort to soft, cheap hits to get the ball - pathetic IMO

I don't think he was trying to get the ball. Nor do I think he should have been reported. Nothing maliscious in a young man tyring to cop a feel in a crowd.

I can't help but wonder what the outcome would of been if it had been a player not in brownlow contention. It was as deliberate as deliberate can be and thankfully the outcome wasn't a bad one and IMO fyfe got lucky.

You mean like Roughead a year or two ago? Actually, that's a bad example as the Hawthorn rule applies there.

Lewis gets 2 weeks and North supporters are hysterically frothing at the mouth for this....

Zeibell gets 1 week and there is deafening silence from Arden Street for this....
Lewis was wayyy too late. These are not the same. One week is about right for Ziebell.

The MRP should just come out and say "our mistake, we gave Lewis an extra week that we should, and this is why other players seem to be getting lesser suspensions" and I would be cool with it.

The MRP should just come out and say "our mistake, we gave Lewis an extra week that we should, and this is why other players seem to be getting lesser suspensions" and I would be cool with it.

Agreed. Ziebell getting two would have been excessive.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

That said I'm still disgusted by the trial by media and the MRP utilising the horribly misguided 'potential clause'.

It's all about the amount of outrage produced. BT, Darcy and Ling all acted like Lewis' hit was one of the worst things ever seen on the field, and that became the narrative.

Look, lets be honest. If you are going to hit someone like Ziebell/Lewis et al did, make sure it's in a game that is only televised on Foxtel aqainst a lessor opponent and not in prime time like Hawthorn v North on a sat night. If Lewis had hit Zac Smith when we played Gold Coast in Tassie like he did Todd Goldstein he wouldn't have got the weeks he did.

Do it on the big stage and you are cactus. It's all about the look of the game

For what it's worth, 1 week is about right for Ziebell.

The look inside the MRP a few weeks ago basically proved they grade based on feeling.

It only grades out as a fine but we don't like the look how can we up it?

It grades out as 2 weeks but he's a good bloke and their hasn't been a media outcry how do we down grade it?

MRP is not about cleaning up the game it's about following what the media tell them to for penalties most of the time

Lewis was wayyy too late. These are not the same. One week is about right for Ziebell.
Look, lets be honest. If you are going to hit someone like Ziebell/Lewis et al did, make sure it's in a game that is only televised on Foxtel aqainst a lessor opponent and not in prime time like Hawthorn v North on a sat night. If Lewis had hit Zac Smith when we played Gold Coast in Tassie like he did Todd Goldstein he wouldn't have got the weeks he did.

Do it on the big stage and you are cactus. It's all about the look of the game

For what it's worth, 1 week is about right for Ziebell.
Agreed. Ziebell getting two would have been excessive.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

That said I'm still disgusted by the trial by media and the MRP utilising the horribly misguided 'potential clause'.

The point that i was making was more to do with the vitriol North supporters were spewing about Lewis being a thug and needing to get hung out to dry for his "dogs act". Now after Ziebell does something very similar (and has form), it's no biggie. I would encourage you to read through some of the post-game threads to see the hysteria directed towards Lewis. The contrast is embarrassing.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...given-3-weeks-lewis-accepted-2-weeks.1095913/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the Lewis hit was way later....JZ jumps at the same time....if the incidents were reveresed, 2 & 1 seems about right....

Where in the grade does the "lateness" of the strike make a difference? It's either part of the marking contest (and thus incidental) or it isn't.

so silvagni gets the same for his elbow as hodge. One incident the player hit took his kick, the other had a broken jaw.
Moral of the story is Hodge may as well of broken his jaw, would have taken one of their best players off the ground and you get the same penalty anyway.

Edit: looks like I was wrong, hodge got three weeks (down from 4)

Last edited:
so silvagni gets the same for his elbow as hodge. One incident the player hit took his kick, the other had a broken jaw.
Moral of the story is Hodge may as well of broken his jaw, would have taken one of their best players off the ground and you get the same penalty anyway.
Yep. ..hawk tax.

Hodge would have gotten 8

To be fair, it was swallow. A gentle breeze could have broken his jaw if it caught him off guard.

the Lewis hit was way later....JZ jumps at the same time....if the incidents were reveresed, 2 & 1 seems about right....

That's just cods wallop, you make it to AFL because of your skill level and ability to read the flight of the ball.
To tell me that a round arm hit is accidental is bull dust.
Amazing to think whilst the rules allowed one to hit the arms players had no issue. Now they have to hit the ball they are hitting blokes in the head.
Give me strength, they are deliberate and cowardly acts and should be dealt with harsh penalties.

The point that i was making was more to do with the vitriol North supporters were spewing about Lewis being a thug and needing to get hung out to dry for his "dogs act". Now after Ziebell does something very similar (and has form), it's no biggie. I would encourage you to read through some of the post-game threads to see the hysteria directed towards Lewis. The contrast is embarrassing.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...given-3-weeks-lewis-accepted-2-weeks.1095913/
Yes they are major hypocrites and now the boot is on the other foot.....deafening silence.

MRP is a joke and will continue to be while it is run by the AFL.

The media are out of order and out of control with the way they try and influence outcomes with many different issues. The AG saga was an absolute disgrace and the MRP should be a no go zone for all the "armchair expert journos". A return to no replays of reported incidents needs to happen as well as no commenting on these incidents until after the matter has been dealt with.
The issues are not being dealt with fairly and waaay to many people are trying to influence the outcome in some way shape or form to their own (clubs) advantage or way of thinking.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back