No Oppo Supporters Lewis traded to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny.
Sam took that same deal year in year out.
And delivered.
I guess that's what being a champion player and bloke is about.

Man, that's really ungracious. Lewis literally put his brains on the line for Hawthorn. Incredible courage. Complete dedication. Don't besmirch your own reputation by trying to besmirch his.

The accounts are that Lewis had only one year to go at Hawthorn and the we would see what happens. And Clarkson said if he wanted to go then clarko would help make it happen, apparently at a club of Lewis' choosing. If Clarkson held Lewis is such high regard then I think we all should too.

CvBChrAVIAAsau1.jpg

Have to laugh, not even a pick, just minor forth and fifth round upgrades.
Wonder what guys like Gunston, Smith, Bruest, even Hodge think about what is happening.

I reckon one of two things:

- "Man, this is playing out just like Clarkson said it would", or

- "I can't wait for the post trade period meeting where I can find out what we're doing next year because we have reloaded big time."

Could you imagine Richmond giving up Deledio for free cos he has served them well?
Ryan Griffen was as done as Lewis is , did he get let go for free?
Oh Boak is slowing down might give him to adelaide for 3 years cos he served us well its just bizarre.

Richmond have not got anything for Deledio yet and if Hawthorn wanted him what you you be willing to offer? He played 11 games last year and has not played more than 20 since 2013.

I think Mitchell was clearly mutual.

Lewis not so much. It seems pretty obvious Hawthorn have indicated to Lewis that 1/ it is close to over and 2/ you will be getting paid significantly less and less should you be lucky enough to get more contract offers. And they offered him for trade just to compound things.

Melbourne came in and offered him $1.8-1.9m = pretty easy decision for Lewis. Hawthorn made it happen for him. Make no mistake, this is Jordan Lewis' rifleman contract.

Would Lewis be a valuable addition to the hawks list next year = yes.
Can Lewis still play at a high level = yes
Will Lewis dominate many games Dangerfield style from here on in = no
Can the hawks do some serious shopping with his salary = yes

It is not ideal but it is not a disaster either. And we all move on.

Man, that's really ungracious. Lewis literally put his brains on the line for Hawthorn. Incredible courage. Complete dedication. Don't besmirch your own reputation by trying to besmirch his.

The accounts are that Lewis had only one year to go at Hawthorn and the we would see what happens. And Clarkson said if he wanted to go then clarko would help make it happen, apparently at a club of Lewis' choosing. If Clarkson held Lewis is such high regard then I think we all should too.

Fair enough.
This is how I would have hoped a Hawthorn champion to respond.
"You're not promising me anything beyond next year, right?"
"Sorry mate, it's a new day, it's a new dawn, and I'm feeling good....."
"Well Clarko, I'm going to make you eat those words. I'm going to go out every week, and come end of next season - you'll be sheepish as you come to me and tell me you were wrong. I'll take year to year, just like Sam, so long as you promise me it's a fair fight, and if my form and ability to grow this new team is undeniable you'll let me keep having the honor of wearing the brown and gold on the field....."

Why don't I get the feeling Jordy was willing to fight for his spot?
Why don't I know he would have done ANYTHING to retire as a Hawk?
Because he never said so.

So sure, I'm not going to bad mouth him, in fact I didn't except if you believe he pales so badly in my comparison to Sam.
I only spoke up of the absolute class of Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.
"Well Clarko, I'm going to make you eat those words. I'm going to go out every week, and come end of next season - you'll be sheepish as you come to me and tell me you were wrong. I'll take year to year, just like Sam, so long as you promise me it's a fair fight, and if my form and ability to grow this new team is undeniable you'll let me keep having the honor of wearing the brown and gold on the field....."

So sure, I'm not going to bad mouth him, in fact I didn't except if you believe he pales so badly in my comparison to Sam.

Well, we don't know what went down in that conversation between Clarkson and Lewis but Lewis said it was as hard for Clarkson to give and it was for him to listen to it. So I imagine it was an assessment that Lewis likely didn't have the skills/pace/whatever Hawthorn needed for its next championship tilt. And that Hawthorn was preparing for a life without Lewis. Or at least preparing for the (likely?) possibility.

And you don't know. Clarkson may have suggested Lewis look around. What may have initially sounded like a rejection was in reality friendly and earnest advice.

I just don't think less of Lewis for going to Melbourne. He said he honestly believes that Hawthorn had his best interests at heart. I think he's right.

So I'm grateful for what's he's done, wish him well with the future. And feel very sorry for him because revenge next year for the spanking Melbourne gave us will be brutal. He's a gonna cry...

Fair enough.

Good call.

Perhaps Lewis didn't have the confidence in his ability. He did the right thing for himself and if I was his manager I too would tell him to take the deal.

I felt we were too accommodating to Melbourne with this deal though. It is done though, and we move on.

KOLOKOTRONIS

just clearing the vomit out of my mouth seeing him in another club's colours.

However like other posters have said this is a win for us come 2017 free agency/ draft time we will have a massive war chest to go shopping with. Since also Hodge and Gibson will retire at the end of next season. (I personally think burger may play on for another year, since he has been very durable for us).

Well, we don't know what went down in that conversation between Clarkson and Lewis but Lewis said it was as hard for Clarkson to give and it was for him to listen to it. So I imagine it was an assessment that Lewis likely didn't have the skills/pace/whatever Hawthorn needed for its next championship tilt. And that Hawthorn was preparing for a life without Lewis. Or at least preparing for the (likely?) possibility.

And you don't know. Clarkson may have suggested Lewis look around. What may have initially sounded like a rejection was in reality friendly and earnest advice.

I just don't think less of Lewis for going to Melbourne. He said he honestly believes that Hawthorn had his best interests at heart. I think he's right.

So I'm grateful for what's he's done, wish him well with the future. And feel very sorry for him because revenge next year for the spanking Melbourne gave us will be brutal. He's a gonna cry...

Yours is the more generous and better response.
My disappointment comes from what we (public) believe is a fairly quick turnaround in tenor and message from the Club to Jordan, whether the first conversation ineptly covered our intent or we had a rapid change of mind.
I feel Lewy should have come back in to the club, and given our long history, given equal opportunity for us to state a strengthened commitment to him.
It's not like we were cutting him and not honoring that next season contract.
And I don't know that we did ANY shopping until Jordan told the club he was going to test the waters himself.

Anyway, I'm probably wrong headed on this.
I'll stop while I'm behind.

When in form Lewis was nearly the best tap ruckman in the business. Yes it could be argued how easy this is but the communication and understanding was brilliant.
Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasnt...... many times it went to an opposition player. Good when it came off.... but I think most teams had worked it out.

How is fuc-k-**** not red carded and gone for a week?
Maybe the mods have decided to be as generous to opposition posters as Hawthorn's been to opposition clubs lately? :drunk:

Bye Bye Jordy. So shattered right now both you and Mitch are now gone and we didnt get to have a proper farewell send off at the MCG.

I will never forget the sacrifices you made for the HFC. Although the 2011 Prelim is a painful memory, that for me was your greatest game. You really put your life on the line in that game and it is one of the top individual performance I have seen that moved me so much.

Congrats on taking that retirement fund from Melbourne. You deserve it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back