Toast Liam Jones signs for Two more years - Long Live The King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm. I'm absolutely unconvinced by Jones. Has played very well since being recalled this year, but his game last week showed signs of him regressing to old habits (chest marks, hesitating). Let's see him sustain it to the end of the year and start next year well before we anoint him king.

That said, we need to fill a list and Jones has done enough to deserve it. Well done to him for coming through against the odds

Thrilled for him. Gone from papers stamped to contract signed.

Shows what can happen when a player works their arse off combined with decent and supportive coaching.

Hope he shows his former club a thing or two today.
Your username is safe for a couple more years too ...

I'm happy Jone got a new contract but I would have been happier if it was only 1 year and keep him hungry, he has only played 5 and half good games in 3 years

Hmmm. I'm absolutely unconvinced by Jones. Has played very well since being recalled this year, but his game last week showed signs of him regressing to old habits (chest marks, hesitating). Let's see him sustain it to the end of the year and start next year well before we anoint him king.

That said, we need to fill a list and Jones has done enough to deserve it. Well done to him for coming through against the odds
The you would be absolutely wrong. Excellent again today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsdownemoji: unlike.

The you would be absolutely wrong. Excellent again today.

He was quite good today, and didn't show the same worrying signs as last week at all. A good game, albeit against pretty weak opposition

I'm still not convinced. He's in his 8th year and is only putting it together now. Even then, he has done a good job of shutting down his man and attacking the play well, and has snaffled some intercept marks. Doesn't play the ball particularly well on the ground or offer much going the other way in terms of run at this point.

But as I said, we ride it while it lasts. If he sustains this into next year it'll be great in smoothing over the loss of Rowe and helping protect the kids at times. And we'll done for making something of his career too

Edit: and don't get me wrong, I like, jones. I just think we all tend to overreact. At th start of this year I was one of his few defenders - I thought he was decent as a forward and this was reflected in our substantially better win/loss record when he was playing. At the time, I was scolded, he was never going to make it, a list flogger, etc, even when I was arguing for his recall.

Now he's back in the team and playing decent footy as a defender. Has an easier job, and has a bit of confidence, but he's not a substantially different player. Yet suddenly he's the next coming of Bruce Doull...

Let's just not overreact. He is a good player who fills a crucial role for us. He should be praised for persisting and reinventing himself and well done for that. and his new contract is well warranted, too

Last edited:
Amen!!

Good decision, for us and for Liam. I'm not sure his re-birth as a defender would necessarily progress if he moved at this point in time anyway. Another club would probably be tempted to shift him back into attack and the progress would be lost.

He was quite good today, and didn't show the same worrying signs as last week at all. A good game, albeit against pretty weak opposition

I'm still not convinced. He's in his 8th year and is only putting it together now. Even then, he has done a good job of shutting down his man and attacking the play well, and has snaffled some intercept marks. Doesn't play the ball particularly well on the ground or offer much going the other way in terms of run at this point.

But as I said, we ride it while it lasts. If he sustains this into next year it'll be great in smoothing over the loss of Rowe and helping protect the kids at times. And we'll done for making something of his career too

Edit: and don't get me wrong, I like, jones. I just think we all tend to overreact. At th start of this year I was one of his few defenders - I thought he was decent as a forward and this was reflected in our substantially better win/loss record when he was playing. At the time, I was scolded, he was never going to make it, a list flogger, etc, even when I was arguing for his recall.

Now he's back in the team and playing decent footy as a defender. Has an easier job, and has a bit of confidence, but he's not a substantially different player. Yet suddenly he's the next coming of Bruce Doull...

Let's just not overreact. He is a good player who fills a crucial role for us. He should be praised for persisting and reinventing himself and well done for that. and his new contract is well warranted, too

While I understand your perspective, I disagree about his ground work. For a player verging on 200cm tall he has done plenty of good work with the loose ball at ground level, and even more importantly, his distribution under pressure, whether by hand or foot is very good.

If anything, any mistakes he has made recently stand out because he's making so few of them.

Its astounding it has taken so long for Jones to turn to being a defender.

This would have to be our recruit of the year!

For so long he was getting towelled up as a forward, and then to turn around and become such a quality backman in such a short amount of time blows me away! Usually a craft that takes a number of years to learn.

Its great that he is such an attacking defender too - spoiling appears to be his last choice, provided marking the ball isn't an option.

Well done Jones!

And well done to the CFC for this transition.

Before the year I was vocal that this had to be Jones' last in the AFL. He's certainly been re-born in his new role and good on him for doing so.

Whether it lasts or he stays AFL-relevant for the duration of the contract I don't know, but so long as giving him two years (hopefully on a modest salary) does not impact our longer term youth policy and development, fine by me. His form over the 4-6 weeks has been irresistible.

Anyone think this reduces likelihood of Rowe returning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back