Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fyfe thoroughly deserved to win it, had a great year.
He had a good year that was probably the equivalent of several others. All would have been worthy winners and I would have been happy to see a tie. The only question is over the size of his win. He def got a few more votes than probably should have

He had a good year that was probably the equivalent of several others. All would have been worthy winners and I would have been happy to see a tie. The only question is over the size of his win. He def got a few more votes than probably should have

He was more consistent over the whole year than anyone else. Other players had great patches during the year and it showed in the voting, also didnt have players from Fremantle on the same level taking votes away.

Fyfe is good but to poll the most votes ever? come on. Several examples of games with better or comparable players from winning sides.

The game againts us is the perfect example, Hill and Walters CLEAR standouts for them.
Firstly it's not the most votes ever and he had a very good game against us so not sure you can say Hill and Walter were the clear standouts.

26 possesions with 17 contested, 7 tackles and a goal is a pretty fair effort the 3 votes, I was more surprised that McCluggage got the 2 votes.

Firstly it's not the most votes ever and he had a very good game against us so not sure you can say Hill and Walter were the clear standouts.

26 possesions with 17 contested, 7 tackles and a goal is a pretty fair effort the 3 votes, I was more surprised that McCluggage got the 2 votes.

Sorry my bad about the votes. I thought Hill and Walters were ahead of him in our game and comfortably. All I am highlighting is the one game we watched closely it was debatable he was best on and there are a lot of other examples of similar games. IMO - he wasn't head and shoulders above others as the vote suggest. Great player, top 5 in the league, but there seems to be a bit of fan boying going on by the umps.

This is my point. He is not undeserving, guy is a beast. But the size of the victory, amougst that field? And Cripps getting 13 votes in 5 games? spare me, please. Fan boying.

By the same token I also don't think Lachie was best on against the Tigers. I was happy he got lucky there, because he got ripped off in other games. But IMO Houli, Vlastuinan and Dusty were ahead of him. Their impact, dominance, the way the were clear standouts on a winning team. Same would surely apply to Cripps and Fyfe in some games, when you walk away losing by 30-40 points, it's VERY rare you would walk away feeling like a Lions player was the best on the ground.

Fair bit of relying on the stats by the umpires, without actually looking at the impact

Pretty sure they don't look at the stats, just jot their votes down immediately post-game.

Getting the ball cleanly out of stoppages and getting the game flowing might be the thing umpires see as most important. And that’s Fyfe’s speciality.

The likes of Fyfe, Bont and Cripps win their own ball and then clear it.

Neale wins it and puts it into the hands of Zorko or Lyons or McCluggage to clear it.

The former is definitely flashier and I can see why it's more of a vote getter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn that goal by McCluggage vs Port.... absolute beauty. Charles with some immense pressure then wins the ball, fumbles then McCluggage smooth as silk.

I need more highlights! :p All i've been watching recently is GWS club song videos, need some more Lions stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back