Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me ot is anyone else glad ti see the Dees out. They just seem to have a few players who aren't exactly likeable in there women's team and seem a little arrogant too.

Is it just me ot is anyone else glad ti see the Dees out. They just seem to have a few players who aren't exactly likeable in there women's team and seem a little arrogant too.

I'm glad to see the dees out. Seems going out in straight sets is a thing for both male & female dees. We make finals yr after yr (with the exception of 2019 when that stupid conference system was still in place) and yet we are never considered to be any kind of threat. A Vic team makes finals once and suddenly they're omnipotent!

I really wanted to see Sydney knock out adelaide too but they're clearly not a good enough team yet.

The AFLW has 18 teams and only 10 matches.
As such, strange things can happen.
Lions go into a PF against an opponent they have not played against in 666 days.
No wonder coach Starcevich went down to Melbourne to watch that game live on the weekend in case they won.

I was quite impressed with the Cats.
They have some very good mobile talls, and their midfield also very good.
The Cats correct use of handball receive especially off halfback was a highlight until the last quarter.
For some reason they did not run the game out, but we can't expect that to happen again against the Lions.
It is a night game, so the heat won't be a factor either.

Hopefully the Lions ladies play up to their potential and get the win.

The age vs games experience charts are crazy. This is the sort of profile that's caused us issues in the past, such as Richmond and Collingwood. We can't afford to go into this with too much confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game was good but cats fans whinging about how they were "robbed" bcos of the poor umpiring. That's rich coming from those pricks. Remember how Bails was robbed when a blatant free against blicavs wasn't paid? That ofc has nothing to do with the AFLW but it shits me that they think they deserved to win bcos they, erroneously, think the umpiring favoured us. Anyone who has been paying attention to the women's league from the get go already knows how ordinary the umps are.

But we're the ones in the GF!!

GO LIONESSES!

It has been really noticeable that we are physically smaller than virtually every opposition team we have played this season.

Plenty of teams now have some very big women in them. I think we play to our strengths very well - relentless pressure, hard tackling, move the ball to space and get inside 50. A lot of teams want to play a game that involves much less pressure outside the contest.

We will need to build up our stock of taller girls over the next few seasons.

It has been really noticeable that we are physically smaller than virtually every opposition team we have played this season.

Plenty of teams now have some very big women in them. I think we play to our strengths very well - relentless pressure, hard tackling, move the ball to space and get inside 50. A lot of teams want to play a game that involves much less pressure outside the contest.

We will need to build up our stock of taller girls over the next few seasons.
You can see why we were so keen to get Aishling Moloney. She'd be handy in our forward line right now. I dare say she'd have more than 10 goals to her name if she'd been at the Lions. Maybe Orla can get in her ear over the pre-season. Haha jks like that would be allowed to happen

Has anyone received an email from the club regarding the members ticket sale period (2-4) today for the GF?

I'm guessing it may be limited to AFLW members which I haven't bothered getting given how few games in Vic we have (and how often they are in difficult/irritating places to get to).

Has anyone received an email from the club regarding the members ticket sale period (2-4) today for the GF?

I'm guessing it may be limited to AFLW members which I haven't bothered getting given how few games in Vic we have (and how often they are in difficult/irritating places to get to).
Last year's GF ticketing was for AFLW club members, so I'm sure your guess is well founded

Davidson a chance to play(afl.com.au):

BRISBANE could be set for a Grand Final miracle, with key forward Dakota Davidson cleared of a serious knee injury and a chance to face North Melbourne on Sunday.

Davidson was distraught after hobbling from Brighton Homes Arena in Saturday night's preliminary final win over Geelong and looked long-odds to face the Kangaroos.

However, scans have cleared the 24-year-old of any major ligament damage.

m2Cwl7Fn.jpg

01:45
1 day

Davidson distraught after horror knee concern​

Brisbane’s star forward Dakota Davidson is reduced to tears after succumbing to a cruel injury following this tackle
She is expected to train fully later in the week in an effort to prove her fitness.

Davidson has been the focal point of the Lions’ attack in 2023, kicking 21 goals to be the second leading goalkicker in the competition behind Melbourne's Eden Zanker.

Following Jesse Wardlaw's move to St Kilda in the off-season, Brisbane's 'Dancing Queen' has turned herself into the most prolific contested mark in the competition.
In her absence during the final quarter against the Cats, veteran Shannon Campbell was swung forward, kicking the winning goal after a diving mark late in the match.

Brisbane is set to fly to Melbourne on Friday afternoon ahead of the decider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back