Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Still doesn't guarantee she will pass fitness for the GF but great news it's nothing serious........let's hope she plays.

Even on one leg, we need her. The whole forward structure is built around her.

Fill her full of horse tranq, and park her in the goalsquare. Dakota will be right.

Final-AA-2023-team-W2023.png

Brock is proud to say 28 of the Lions’ 34 listed players this season are from Queensland, including the captain, Bre Koenen, and their three 2023 All-Australians: midfielders Ally Anderson and Sophie Conway, and forward Dakota Davidson, who is racing to recover from a knee injury.
“Even in our proposal to the club, when we were first trying to get a licence for the Brisbane Lions women’s team, we put in that we wanted the team to be at least 80% Queensland talent,” she says.

This year

Brisbane Heat Men’s BBL Grand Final

Brisbane Lions Men’s AFL Grand Final

Brisbane Broncos Men’s NRL Grand Final

Brisbane Lions Women’s AFLW Grand Final

Brisbane Heat Women’s WBBL Grand Final

This year

Brisbane Heat Men’s BBL Grand Final

Brisbane Lions Men’s AFL Grand Final

Brisbane Broncos Men’s NRL Grand Final

Brisbane Lions Women’s AFLW Grand Final

Brisbane Heat Women’s WBBL Grand Final
Brisbane Roar Australia Cup Grand Final

The Lions and Kangaroos will both reveal their final 21 at 5pm AEDT on Friday.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3

North Melbourne v Brisbane at Ikon Park, 2.30pm AEDT

NORTH MELBOURNE

In:
L.McGrath, E.Gavalas, L.Burke
Out: Nil

Milestone: Jasmine Garner - 75 games

BRISBANE

In:
A.McKee, C.Wendland, B.Smith
Out: Nil

Debut:
Milestone: Shannon Campbell - 75 games; Jade Ellenger - 50 games; Tahlia Hickie - 50 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't come up with a full team yet, maybe others can help but here is a forward line if players we have lost to order clubs

HF: Bodey Harris Ashmore
F: Westchester Warlaw Frederick-Traubb

Gun forward line

I haven't come up with a full team yet, maybe others can help but here is a forward line if players we have lost to order clubs

HF: Bodey Harris Ashmore
F: Westchester Warlaw Frederick-Traubb

Gun forward line

FB: M.Dowrick, I.Tahau
HB: K.Ashmore, T.Randall, L.Pullar,
C: N.Exon, E.Bates, J.Stanton
Foll: L.Bella, J.Yorston, M.Moloney
HF: G.Bodey, T.Harris, J.Wardlaw
FF: S.Frederick, J.Wuetschner

Plus L.Kaslar, S.Virgo, K.McCarthy, B.Gibson who I left out as they were no longer on AFLW lists this season.

Tahlia Randall in the forward line ahead of Frederick every day of the week.

Sabs can ruck.
So who would you put at CHB? Backline is pretty skinny. Seems we've been blessed with forwards over our time.

I tried to do my own team thinking it would be different, but the best balanced team is pretty much that one posted above, even if some players are not in the best position.. I'd put Howarth down back back (even though she's a better forward) and shuffle things around a bit, Groves-Little would be on the bench. After that, there's not much else if we're only including current players. Pinchin maybe? McFarlane?

Last edited:
So who would you put at CHB? Backline is pretty skinny. Seems we've been blessed with forwards over our time.

I tried to do my own team thinking it would be different, but the best balanced team is pretty much that one posted above, even if some players are not in the best position.. I'd put Howarth down back back (even though she's a better forward) and shuffle things around a bit, Groves-Little would be on the bench. After that, there's not much else if we're only including current players. Pinchin maybe? McFarlane?
Yeah I know but it's already the slowest, least mobile forward line in the world.

I also excluded the players you mentioned who could be worth including (plus Jordan Membrey) because they were delisted by us rather than being lost directly through expansion signings and trade requests.

Agree seeing Randall did play as a back whilst at the Lions

Fantastic write-up on this season and the different levers we've had to pull that we hadn't needed to previously.

I’d have Exon, Ashmore or Stanton in that forward line before I’d have Frederick.

I was thinking of players from the start of the comp in which case Kaslar is a walk-up start and captain.

With that sort of lineup, Randall becomes ultra-versatile and could play very well on any line.

Of all the players we have lost I think she is the one we have missed the most.

I’d have Exon, Ashmore or Stanton in that forward line before I’d have Frederick.

I was thinking of players from the start of the comp in which case Kaslar is a walk-up start and captain.

With that sort of lineup, Randall becomes ultra-versatile and could play very well on any line.

Of all the players we have lost I think she is the one we have missed the most.
We lack a forward who can kick 30+m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back