Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good for the most part.

As with Nunez I felt the Charlie Cameron comments were a little strange. It has been pointed out that he struggled against bigger but mobile defenders but hard to see where the fitness thing comes into it.
He missed the last half of the year before With a foot injury so he may have been a little underdone early, due to a shorter pre-season but I think his results speak for themselves.

Also I think🤔 he mentioned that Payne May be a possibility to replace Witherden at some stage throughout this year. That seems an odd one Because they are two different types of players who play very different roles.

Other than that I thought most of it was pretty spot on.
I think Payne fits in at full back as he is a great size has speed and is a great kick as to who he replaces is anyone’s guess it depends on form. Payne needs to get a few games in the firsts to see what he can do. I was really impressed with him last year and believe he will be our long term full back giving Andrews the opportunity to play up the ground. I agree with you about Cameron he was a fabulous player last year but was beaten in the two Richmond games. He was playing full forward for us and relied on his pace to out run his man however this did not work with Grimes because he was able to intercept the ball in the air. In their first game together just before the finals Grimes also held onto his jumper and even at one stage had Cameron in a headlock which was not given a free kick. They also had a player in front of Cameron to stop his run. Basically Richmond worked out our game plan and made sure we did not let Cameron run onto a chaos ball lobbed at fast pace into the forward line. To improve we need to find more consistent forwards that spread the goal kicking duties.

I am inclined to think that the two games against Richmond were the exception rather than the rule.We were the highest scoring them with multiple avenues to go a.. Against Richmond we seemed to get focused on Charlie.This may have been due to Richmonds pressure causing a bit of tunnel vision but I think we need to handle that pressure rather than obsess aboutmultiple avenues to goal which we already have.

I am inclined to think that the two games against Richmond were the exception rather than the rule.We were the highest scoring them with multiple avenues to go a.. Against Richmond we seemed to get focused on Charlie.This may have been due to Richmonds pressure causing a bit of tunnel vision but I think we need to handle that pressure rather than obsess aboutmultiple avenues to goal which we already have.
Fair comment and I also hope that the tigers game were the exception. All I was doing was making an observation on what I saw in the two Richmond games.

Fair comment and I also hope that the tigers game were the exception. All I was doing was making an observation on what I saw in the two Richmond games.
Personally, I think that Richmond were just too good.
Hopefully this year, we will better for the experience and learn from our mistakes in those 2 games.

I think our lack of adaptability is one of the big gaps we need to address. They (Richmond and GWS) successfully targeted our players who were inexperienced or who had deficiencies in certain matchups and we couldn't address it due to age and experience. Coupled with the fact that once they arrested us in certain areas they had a "phase 2" and executed it. In the GWS game they targeted our emotion, and the still developing Witherdens poor positioning and awareness, among other things as a team. In Richmond game Charlie got sucked in to wrestling too and like you've said again as a team we let the pressure get to us. In both games we also did not do what we started to do in later season games and look for quality inside 30s with a connecting inside 50/contested mark at HF due to pressure, good opposition and oppo coaching.

This year I want to see us ruthlessly take their game away from them and believe whilst we lost those games developed a lot out of them.

I think our lack of adaptability is one of the big gaps we need to address. They (Richmond and GWS) successfully targeted our players who were inexperienced or who had deficiencies in certain matchups and we couldn't address it due to age and experience. Coupled with the fact that once they arrested us in certain areas they had a "phase 2" and executed it. In the GWS game they targeted our emotion, and the still developing Witherdens poor positioning and awareness, among other things as a team. In Richmond game Charlie got sucked in to wrestling too and like you've said again as a team we let the pressure get to us. In both games we also did not do what we started to do in later season games and look for quality inside 30s with a connecting inside 50/contested mark at HF due to pressure, good opposition and oppo coaching.

This year I want to see us ruthlessly take their game away from them and believe whilst we lost those games developed a lot out of them.
A lot of your points are valid.The coaching staff and players would have reviewed the game for both groups and moved on with the intention of everyone improving for the 2020 season.

I always feel for the player who makes a mistake near the end of a close game. There would be a dozen such incidents during the course of the game, but people always remember the last one. Same as kicking the winning goal but forget about all the others that make up the total score.

At the end of a long but exciting year for this group of young players experience and a bit of fatigue played it's part in the last three games we lost.
They will be better in this regard for 2020.

The last 5 game we played in order ; Suns - Geelong - Richmond -( Finals - Richmond - GWS).
Maybe if the order was a little different we may have been a bit fresher for finals say : Geelong - Richmond - Suns ( then finals). Or various combinations.

The last four games for our young team ended up being against teams that were : 1st at end of H&A season, Premiers, Premiers, runners up in premiership.

I suggest the coaches (and hopefully the players) moved on once the end of year reviews were done.
Our side will be measurably different to last year's side in almost every way and I dare say the same could be said of every other team. Our game style will be different, even if not vastly so. We will have different personnel, strengths and weaknesses to last year, as will our competition. We may repeat our mistakes, if that is even possible, or just find new ones. We will beat teams we lost to last season and vice versa. We may be cruelled by injuries or have a normal run with injuries rather than a dream one. We may win the premiership or finish in the bottom four or something in between. We may lose a final because of a silly mistake by an experienced player or win one because of the brilliance of a rookie. We might miss finals, as might the other 2019 finalists. Despite the coaches' best efforts, we might get ahead of ourselves. Or we might break records.
What happened last season, let alone in two specific games, is so irrelevant to our destiny this season it isn't funny.

Personally, I think that Richmond were just too good.
Hopefully this year, we will better for the experience and learn from our mistakes in those 2 games.
I agree they bought their A game to the finals. They were brave enough to bring the ball to the outside of the contest and bought the ball forward at speed. It made us look slow which isn’t the case but it worked for them the second half Of the year and they blew GWS away for the Grand Final. To me Martin was the player of the finals for them as he always had an impact. He is a magnificent kick to space and can win one on one contests.

I suggest the coaches (and hopefully the players) moved on once the end of year reviews were done.
Our side will be measurably different to last year's side in almost every way and I dare say the same could be said of every other team. Our game style will be different, even if not vastly so. We will have different personnel, strengths and weaknesses to last year, as will our competition. We may repeat our mistakes, if that is even possible, or just find new ones. We will beat teams we lost to last season and vice versa. We may be cruelled by injuries or have a normal run with injuries rather than a dream one. We may win the premiership or finish in the bottom four or something in between. We may lose a final because of a silly mistake by an experienced player or win one because of the brilliance of a rookie. We might miss finals, as might the other 2019 finalists. Despite the coaches' best efforts, we might get ahead of ourselves. Or we might break records.
What happened last season, let alone in two specific games, is so irrelevant to our destiny this season it isn't funny.
There is no reason why they can’t make finals again. They have a full list and the game style will be tweaked to be more competitive. I am hopeful that they play finals and win at least one game. To me that will be a pass mark.

I agree they bought their A game to the finals. They were brave enough to bring the ball to the outside of the contest and bought the ball forward at speed. It made us look slow which isn’t the case but it worked for them the second half Of the year and they blew GWS away for the Grand Final. To me Martin was the player of the finals for them as he always had an impact. He is a magnificent kick to space and can win one on one contests.
They have elite runners.
Dion Prestia really impressed me, he has the ability to run at pace and change direction and change again, then deliver an accurate pass.
Ran through us like we were standing still.
lets hope we have someone this year that can offer something like that from halfback.
Funny how I never noticed him that much at the gold Coast.

A lot of your points are valid.The coaching staff and players would have reviewed the game for both groups and moved on with the intention of everyone improving for the 2020 season.

I always feel for the player who makes a mistake near the end of a close game. There would be a dozen such incidents during the course of the game, but people always remember the last one. Same as kicking the winning goal but forget about all the others that make up the total score.

At the end of a long but exciting year for this group of young players experience and a bit of fatigue played it's part in the last three games we lost.
They will be better in this regard for 2020.

The last 5 game we played in order ; Suns - Geelong - Richmond -( Finals - Richmond - GWS).
Maybe if the order was a little different we may have been a bit fresher for finals say : Geelong - Richmond - Suns ( then finals). Or various combinations.

The last four games for our young team ended up being against teams that were : 1st at end of H&A season, Premiers, Premiers, runners up in premiership.
I noticed other occasions where experienced oppo players moved the ball through witherden to exploit his positioning and capability to respond if caught out. That last one looked worse than the others but in a general sense both GWS and the Tigers tried to and successfully exploited their higher capability in that area of the field. Im not trying to partake in the pointing out of that one instance to knock Witho though he'll be better for it no doubt

100% New season fresh opportunity, however we haven't beaten Richmond since 2009 and GWS knocked us out of the only finals series we have played since 2009, so imo whilst 'What' happened is no longer relevant, 'who' is, which then brings those two games back in to some consideration as our most recent contests. Tigers are getting older, they have some youth coming through but aren't going to change tactics drastically. GWS have the cattle and brand (no pun intended) to overcome a lot of teams. Therefore I'd expect these two would change the least of all the teams, leaving us to take the opportunity to adapt our style and execution the most. Fagan, Noble and the coaches and players of course already know where we're going and are setting us for a sustained period of success. From this year on I can see us as a top 4-6 side and from there as you say anything can happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back