Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. They're similar in stature and the way they play. Joe's a lot better player and far more mercurial but when they both play average games we're in trouble.

Of course we'd love a lot more solid ,reliable tough strong contested marking forward but we've got what we've got and mostly it's worked well.

Section 5 makes a great point about leading . All the great leading forwards only needed a yard and then led late to meet the ball with a soft contact. Hipwood is always charging out and running hard into it . It makes it difficult to hold on to at times but it's mostly about his incapacity to lead effectively. Whether that can be taught don't know.
Leading is a big part of it. They often dont do enough unrewarded leading. Lot of standing pointing where they want the ball kicked and then only start leading as the ball is kicked. Means they dont get enough separation to take easy marks (and both are poor contested marks). Hipwood wants it on the chest mostly but the delivery needs to be better for that.

Two Blues are leading the way in contested marks in the competition.
Listed below are where the top 7 Lions players sit in the rankings up to round 7.
All listed players below have played 7 games except Payne who played 6.

Name - ranking or equal ranking -then the number of contested marks to date.

McKay - (1) - 25
Curnow - (2) - 19
Andrews - (5) - 15
Hippy - (E 17) - 9
Payne - (E 17) - 9
Lester - (E 64) - 5
McCarthy - (E 85) - 4
Cameron - (E 85) - 4
Daniher - (E 117) - 3

Looking at the weather forecast there is a good chance Sunday could be another wet game.

It will be enlightening to see if we took any learnings out of the Cats game.:D

Hipwood and Daniher both play their best footy when getting up the ground marking on the lead and running back, both also pretty good kicks when in form, Joe a slightly better contested mark, would be even better if he didn't bloody flop all the time.... they are very very light Lance Franklin types.

Reasonably similar types, ideally we want a pack crashing beast who clunks his marks to compliment Hipwood when Joe gives it away.
Hipwood and Daniher want to play in the exact same space, because they're both left footers, and then everything else you said.

We have two of the exact same player, when you only need one.

They don't compliment each other.

Maybe push Wilmot or Answerth to a wing
I was just thinking while listening to the Roar Deal earlier, I would actually like to see Answerth shifted to a half forward flank, to see if he can play a McCarthy-NealeBullen type role.

1. He would definitely improve our forward pressure (he certainly couldn't make it worse)

2. It frees up McKenna, Zorko and Wilmot to play their customary half back roles, rather than having to juggle the 4 of them into those half back spots.

And if it's not working of course we can swap Answerth and Zorko. I probably wouldn't advocate it so much if we used our half forwards like Geelong use theirs (Miers etc). But we don't really, so unless we're planning some huge strategic shift in this aspect of our ball movement in Sunday night, it's a bit of a moot point.

And yes I appreciate this leaves us with one less lockdown defender to take on the likes of Jake Rogers and co, but you're all seeing what I'm seeing: the problems aren't starting in our backline!

Answerth's disposal has also improved to the point where it is certainly adequate, and perhaps a little better than that.

So that's what I'm doing. Answerth to half forward, and pressure the bejesus out of the Gold Coast backs. And actually set an example to the guys around him.

I was just thinking while listening to the Roar Deal earlier, I would actually like to see Answerth shifted to a half forward flank, to see if he can play a McCarthy-NealeBullen type role.

1. He would definitely improve our forward pressure (he certainly couldn't make it worse)

2. It frees up McKenna, Zorko and Wilmot to play their customary half back roles, rather than having to juggle the 4 of them into those half back spots.

And if it's not working of course we can swap Answerth and Zorko. I probably wouldn't advocate it so much if we used our half forwards like Geelong use theirs (Miers etc). But we don't really, so unless we're planning some huge strategic shift in this aspect of our ball movement in Sunday night, it's a bit of a moot point.

And yes I appreciate this leaves us with one less lockdown defender to take on the likes of Jake Rogers and co, but you're all seeing what I'm seeing: the problems aren't starting in our backline!

Answerth's disposal has also improved to the point where it is certainly adequate, and perhaps a little better than that.

So that's what I'm doing. Answerth to half forward, and pressure the bejesus out of the Gold Coast backs. And actually set an example to the guys around him.

Zorko was basically playing half back last week

Screenshot_20240501_195234_AFL.jpg

Regarding Hippy.
I have always felt he always leads to early and then to fast.
He really only needs to get to a good position on the lead and hold that ground.

Having a fast leading forward is usually a good thing.
I just feel Hippys fast momentum getting to that marking contest is a big reason he drops marks we all think he should take.
Depends on how hard the incoming ball is kicked too.

In general it is easier if the ball being kicked and the leading player are both arriving at the mark point slower.
But you can't deliver the ball and mark that way in general.
Unless it is those kicks backwards in our defence area.
You have to find a happy medium.

On Lenovo TB-X606F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We absolutely lead too early. And that's all our forwards, not just Eric.

Actually you know what it reminds me of? It's like when you're in traffic and say you're 5 cars behind at the lights. The lights turn green but the guy at the front is texting someone or not paying attention or whatever. 10 seconds go by and then the 2nd car honks his horn. The guy at the front eventually gets his @rse into gear and takes off. By the time the light turns orange only 3 cars have gone through. As the 5th car you are probably gonna run the red light because "it's that first car's fault for being a douche". Completely irrational, not to mention dangerous, but tell me you've never thought that way whilst in peak hour traffic.

I reckon timing your lead is a bit the same. You have to play the situation how it is, not how you want it to be or how it would be in a perfect world. You need to wait for the guy with the ball to be ready, even if, in your opinion in the heat of the moment, he's taking way too long (he's probably not!).

Looking at the weather forecast there is a good chance Sunday could be another wet game.

It will be enlightening to see if we took any learnings out of the Cats game.:D
If anything is going to happen,from now on it’s anywhere,anytime and any moisture content

I don't think Hippy is down on form, someone posted his numbers across seasons and he seems similar to previous years. i think the thing with Hippy is that he has stagnated at that level, not going worse but not getting better. Will he go down in Lions history as one of our good forwards, no he wont at this stage. Mind you Rayner is similar, they flash in and out, promise more but stay the same.
Assuming Eric maintains fitness and doesn't get traded and remains at the current plateau, we can expect him to average about 25 goals/year. That puts him at about 400 goals by the end of 2029. Add on a couple more years if he's still going at that stage could get him into low 400's. Considering forwards generally kick lower total goals in current day, that's not a bad return. Not an all-time great (as you say), but very serviceable. Perhaps if he does well in our flag year in 2025, and kicks a few in the winning GF, then he'll be elevated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still doesn't change what I said.

How confident are you when you see Hippy or Joe lining up for a shot on goal from the left side of the forward 50?

Put a right footed KPF out left, and we'd be more confident.

Not confident but better than straight in front

I think Joe prefers that pocket. Has kicked some excellent goals in that pocket.

Still doesn't change what I said.

How confident are you when you see Hippy or Joe lining up for a shot on goal from the left side of the forward 50?

Put a right footed KPF out left, and we'd be more confident.

Would it be better if one of them were right footed? Yes.

Did they still kick 100+ between them last year and help us make the GF? Yes.

There is not a team in the AFL that couldn't be better.

I agree. Answerth played a sort of ruck rover role in the twos for a few weeks before his injury. Seemed to make the team more dynamic, using pace to break away from packs. If we are going to experiment, wouldn’t mind him as a defensive forward, maybe even some of Bailey’s time high half forward/mid field relief.

Would it be better if one of them were right footed? Yes.

Did they still kick 100+ between them last year and help us make the GF? Yes.

There is not a team in the AFL that couldn't be better.
Still doesn’t change what I originally said.

Both players want to play in the same space.

Im certain he didnt start back though. Pretty sure he started forward, it didnt work and then he went into the backline and actually started winning the ball there

No he was basically playing as a very high half forward.

All the benefits of his kicking without him having to try to defend

Like all supporters I am both surprised and disappointed on the season so far. For some reason both our midfield and forward line are performing well below expectations and it looks like we won’t make the finals this year. Don’t forget Geelong also had the same trajectory after winning the grand final a couple of years ago. In the past we relied on the heroics of Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neale to get us going with Joe Daniher and at times Eric Hipwood playing an A grade game to help out in our forward line. Next year we will probably only lose a couple of players and pick up Ashcroft and reintroduce Doodee and Coleman to our backline. So all is not lost as I am of the belief that we still have a great squad that is capable of winning a flag. With respect to the Suns game I believe it will be a close one. The Suns are now stacked with young talent probably the best young list in the AFL. If we play to our capabilities and just concentrate on our game plan we will win. Sounds easy doesn’t it. Go 🦁 Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back