News Lisa Alexander applies for North Melbourne senior coach position

Remove this Banner Ad

That may have gone over a few heads.
ha ha... sentiment is worth nothing when the boys get together..

Like everything it will happen.. coaching is ninety percent head case... and if you can get past the feeling that it is your mother
who is coaching you then this will be fine...

and no it shouldn't go over anyone's head... perspective is halfway between the understanding and also the rough measure of what
everyone wants to have happen...

overhead is a blue sky if you really want to know... scatter gun...

Like everything it will happen.. coaching is ninety percent head case... and if you can get past the feeling that it is your mother

and no it shouldn't go over anyone's head... perspective is halfway between the understanding and also the rough measure of what

Can you supply me a few ounces of the gear you were on when you wrote that?

Last edited:
You are still missing the original point of the post. 2 post beforehand the poster stated that she should go through all the right channels and try again in 10 years. The next poster just said why, thus why I responded with the post I did, having a go at him. I am well aware that neither you nor I have any chance of coaching North.
fair enough.

Saying that.... Hugh Greenwood switched from Playing basketball to Aussie Rules.

Alex Keath went from cricket to Aussie Rules too.

Both were on the crows list.

Saying that, both switched sports an were good enough to play AFL as they were skilled enough and had the drive to succeed.

Both of these blokes are more likely to become coach than Lisa Alexander as they can grasp the basics of coaching as they are players that learne from Aussie Rules coaches.

there have been others that have switched sports such as Karmichael Hunt, Israel Folau and Anthony Mundine as examples.

Legendary Australian netball coach Lisa Alexander has put her hand up for the vacant North Melbourne coaching job, arguing her record of winning and experience at high performance coaching make her suited to the role.

Alexander said she had watched plenty of football throughout her life and had also played the sport, which combined with a formidable netball coaching record convinced her she was ready for the role.

————————————

It’s an interesting argument. Obviously she won’t have the tactical but we know that senior coaching today is so much more than that.

That said in the post-COVID smaller coaching structure world she would be more likely to struggle.

Yes part of it is agenda setting but she can certainly coach conceptually. Could she do it with a tactically strong senior assistant?
Occasionally they should get a high profile lawyer to do a surgery in a hospital.

Sure, they've never done actual surgery before, but they've been involved with a high profile career, so it should turn out ok.

Still wont work IF you have SFA idea of tactics and the game itself and all its ebbs and flows. To suggest anyone can coach just because they can handle the " head case" aspect of it is extremely naieve.

Pure sexism on North's part.

There have been dozens of AFL senior coaches who had no background in the sport, and came from other codes, thus proving Lisa's point that sexism is the only possible explanation for North's disinterest.

The AFL should institute a quota - 50% of all senior coaches across the league should have to be women. It doesn't matter if that requires that half the current coaches be fired, it's the only way for society to progress.
Yeah, nah your not actually serious right ????

I would love for some of you to do a list linking a particular coach to their go to move, for example.

Alistair Clarkson: "The Clarkson cluster"
Damian Hardwick: "The ant colony"

The point i am trying to make is it is not a very long list and most of the moves are dictated by the traits and attributes of the players you have available to select. The people management aspect of coaching has come along way from the days of Ron Barassi and Robert Walls to be honest you may do jail time for some of their actions over the years. At one point in time you know there were no coaches and they evolved like every other profession on the planet.

Bec Goddard would be way more likely than Lisa Alexander in this stage of both of their careers.

It's also a little bit disingenous to demand that women have AFL coaching experience, when it was literally never an option for them until a few years ago. So many professional female athletes are transferring over to AFL after succeeding in other sports, coaches are no exception.

Would make a lot more sense for Lisa Alexander to try and get an assistant coach role first, like just about every other senior AFL coach.

Didnt St Kilda have a female assistant coach a few years ago ? Not sure what happened withher career.

Most of the players transferring from other sports are to AFLW. Not AFL. WHAT % of AFL players have a non Ausdie Rules background ?

How would we feel about an Irish Gaelic Football manager applying for the North job? Someone who happens to be a big AFL fan and great of the All-Ireland Senior Championship. Especially with Gaelic Football remaining a strictly amateur-based sport.

This thread is funny, and very very silly.

She coached the best team in the world. If the head coach of the All Blacks came across asking for an AFL coaching job I reckon the same posters trashing her would be saying, 'give him a go'.

At the top level coaching is about management of people and systems.

She obviously should do time as an assistant coach. But if it was at all possible I would want my club to take her on. The AFL was talking of clubs being able to take on female coaches outside the current cap - no idea how it was supposed to work. If that's still a thing then she is exactly who you'd want coming in. Extraordinary track record, and would add experience perspective and smarts to the coaching group immediately. Not a traditional young coach learning their way. So if the AFL is doing their usual goody two shoes thing re coaches then I'd love her at the Tigers. As long as the proper assessment of fit as done. I suspect she'd have some very clever ideas about the game that might cause innovations in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is funny, and very very silly.

She coached the best team in the world. If the head coach of the All Blacks came across asking for an AFL coaching job I reckon the same posters trashing her would be saying, 'give him a go'.

She obviously should do time as an assistant coach.
Not me. If your the bes water polo coach in the world and male why the hell would you think you'd be a good candidate. Nothing to do with gender. How many NBA coaches are ex LFL female coaches? Yep, NONE. Seriously.......

I think netball and water polo have a great deal of transferable skills, and if you were really looking for your club to have that edge, you'd consider a look at some high-performance coaches with a background in other sports. If necessary, you can delegate the frontline ground responsibilities and interpersonal adaptation to the senior assistants and line coaches, and have a head coach focus primarily around strategy,or the opposite, have a very hands-on rev-up people management style and leave the innovations to your assistants and onfield leaders. For every business you'll probably find a different business structure.

Not me. If your the bes water polo coach in the world and male why the hell would you think you'd be a good candidate. Nothing to do with gender. How many NBA coaches are ex LFL female coaches? Yep, NONE. Seriously.......

Umm. Very few coaches move codes. But there is no reason adding a top end world class coach to your coaching group wouldn't help - unless they don't gell.

making them head coach, not on.

If they work as an assistant then maybe look if they can do the top job.

What absolute rot.

That is one of probably 5 or 6 pillars of being a head coach in the AFL. And in importance it is well down the list.

Miles behind these two:
1. Devise the side's overall game plan, with reference to it's ability to stand up against the 17 other overall strategies. Embed within it plans B&C, up tempo / down tempo adjustments, all out attack mode / lockdown defence mode.
2. Game day. The difference between a merely competent coach and a top shelf coach. Watch Clarkson swing the changes of strategy and personnel to pull a win out of a looming loss; and tell me how somebody who hasn't been immersed in the game for 20+ years could ever do that, even once.

What absolute rot.

That is one of probably 5 or 6 pillars of being a head coach in the AFL. And in importance it is well down the list.

Miles behind these two:
1. Devise the side's overall game plan, with reference to it's ability to stand up against the 17 other overall strategies. Embed within it plans B&C, up tempo / down tempo adjustments, all out attack mode / lockdown defence mode.
2. Game day. The difference between a merely competent coach and a top shelf coach. Watch Clarkson swing the changes of strategy and personnel to pull a win out of a looming loss; and tell me how somebody who hasn't been immersed in the game for 20+ years could ever do that, even once.

And is there no coaching group to work on those issues?
Is it impossible for a smart person who has coached team sports to be useful or clever in another sport?

It's funny that smart posters like yourself are so fired up about this.

I see a proven top line world class coach wanting to coach in the AFL. I think they shouldn't coach as the head coach until they have more AFL experience and have proven themselves. But somehow or other they have to have been AFL sine they were in diapers?

I suspect that, as long as their personality works with the coaching group, they could offer a lot of value.

Coaches from around the world look at other team sports to learn things. The AFL is only just catching up in terms of sophistication in game plans to most international sports. Lisa Alexander might well be a coaching genius for all we know. And the AFL might be just her cup of tea. What we do know is that she has proven beyond any doubt that she is a good coach of elite athletes in a highly competitive competition. That is way more than most new AFL coaches - they have only ever played.

And is there no coaching group to work on those issues?
Is it impossible for a smart person who has coached team sports to be useful or clever in another sport?

It's not the job of the assistant coaches to backfill stuff that the head coach should know but doesn't. It's the job of the head coach to develop and educate the assistants. Which is hard to achieve if the head coach knows nothing about football.

It's funny that smart posters like yourself are so fired up about this.

No actually what fires me up is the virtue signalling fanatics who won't even admit that their stance on this is entirely driven by gender politics and ill advised desire to impose social engineering. If a male coach from another sport tried this stunt, none of you would be interested.

What we do know is that she has proven beyond any doubt that she is a good coach of elite athletes in a highly competitive competition. That is way more than most new AFL coaches - they have only ever played.

What utter tripe.

If we analyse successful coaches none of them have "only played." It usually takes another 20 years of complete immersion in the game, ongoing training and experience building to make a successful coach. Even David Teague, a startlingly young coach, has 14 years of working his way through the development mill AFTER his playing career, step by step, brick by brick. And some still feel he is not ready.

But hey. Lisa Alexander can just skip all that, because wimmin.

It's not the job of the assistant coaches to backfill stuff that the head coach should know but doesn't. It's the job of the head coach to develop and educate the assistants. Which is hard to achieve if the head coach knows nothing about football.

No actually what fires me up is the virtue signalling fanatics who won't even admit that their stance on this is entirely driven by gender politics and ill advised desire to impose social engineering. If a male coach from another sport tried this stunt, none of you would be interested.

What utter tripe.

If we analyse successful coaches none of them have "only played." It usually takes another 20 years of complete immersion in the game, ongoing training and experience building to make a successful coach. Even David Teague, a startlingly young coach, has 14 years of working his way through the development mill AFTER his playing career, step by step, brick by brick. And some still feel he is not ready.

But hey. Lisa Alexander can just skip all that, because wimmin.
I see your point. I sort of agree in a way with Leigh Matthews view on if you want to become an AFL coach, you should have at least 8-10 years of experience in the lower levels.

But you brought up David Teague. Thats a good example of a guy learning a fair bit from after he retired as a player to until he coached Carlton.

I look at Neil Craig's crows coaching stint. He coached the crows from 2004-11 but had lots of experience before then.

He retired as a North Adelaide player in the SANFL at the end of 1990. From 1991-1995 coached Norwood in the SANFL and got Norwood to a grand final in 1993.

Goes to the crows after leaving Norwood. He was the crows fitness coach when they won the flag in 1997-8.

Was a fitness coach for the Australian cycling team during the 2000 Olympic Games.

Returns to the crows at the end of 2001 as an assistant coach. From 2002- mid 2004 was an assistant coach under coach Gary Ayres.

Neil Craig became an interim coach late in 2004 when Ayres was sacked. Neil Craig then coaches the crows from 2005- mid 2011.

But yeah..... Neil Craig had various jobs from 1991-2004.

its only fair that North appoint her

look at all the AFL/VFL coaches that have coached the Diamonds ....

I suspect it could be a quick apprenticeship but to go straight to the head of the queue is a bit rude

If she had started a few years back coaching amateurs or a country team and gained experience and got some runs on the board over the years then she would be worth looking at. But FFS to come in from another sport she is joking.

So Chris Fagan who is a school teacher never played the sport, Today a coach doesnt teach them to kick, he is more a manager, look at the soccer examples Avram Grant, Jose mourinho was an interpeter before doing his coaching licence, Andre Villas Boas to name a few

Fagan played and coached a lot of footy in Tasmania before entering the AFL. He played 263 of state league level footy. Then was involved as an Assistant, State league coach, AFL assistant GM football for 23 years before getting a senior coach role.

Coaching career
Tasmania

Fagan spent two years as an assistant coach at North Hobart before being appointed senior coach of Sandy Bay for 1993 and 1994. He was the inaugural coach of the Tassie Mariners from 1995 to 1997. He was the 181st person to be inducted into the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame in 2007.

AFL
Fagan was an assistant coach at the Melbourne Football Club between 1999 and 2007, during which the club reached the 2000 AFL Grand Final, where they lost to Essendon. He served two roles at the Hawthorn Football Club between 2008 and 2016, where he was instrumental in the club's 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015 premiership victories. He was head of coaching and development between 2008 and mid-2013, while he was general manager of football alongside Alastair Clarksonbetween mid-2013 and the end of 2016.

Last edited:
No one or no organization is stopping anyone from the opportunity to apply for a coaching role.

Everyone in Australia has the right to apply for any job advertised.

Everyone in Australia seeking to employee someone has the right to throw any application in the bin and wipe tears of laughter from their eyes then send and email saying “thank you for your application but you weren’t successful at this time, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back