Lonergan tackle on carrazzo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to either watch the replay of it again, or read the rules.

I suppose I worded that wrong. It's a free kick, that's all. There was no malice and it wasn't a "sling tackle". It's not going to get cited and if it does, well then the game is in trouble, as tackling is on the way out.

Another one who surely hasn't played football. The biggest injury I received on a football field was from a shirtfront. I have received heaps of injuries including being accidently kneed in the head when I was leaning down to get the ball. I received it and was willing to cop it as it is part of the game.

What Lonergan did should never be part of the game. I would never run up to a bloke from 20 metres dive into their back and pile drive their shoulder in the ground. Not part of the fabric of the game. You tell me what league you are playing in and I would be happy to play a game in your league mate against you.

Btw I didn't know the other poster was a woman. Is Bomber 1 a woman? How on hell was I supposed to know that unless she indicated to me "hey, I am a woman who plays in the women football leagues". I am not Nostradamus or a mind reader.

I was taught from a junior until i finished playing football to always try and hurt my opponent in a tackle. My coach never told me about protecting the opposition from injury. For the record I am not playing footy anymore and I used to play for Doutta Stars in the EDFL.

Back on topic. Lonergan should play this week. Maybe they will look at Judd kneeing Hocking.

What's next, here stared at me too long and hurt my feelings. Give him six weeks.

Has anyone thougth that maybe Carrazzo just has bones of an 80 year old?

Tackles like that happen all the time, just this time there was an injury, it doesn't make the tackle itself any worse.

I was taught from a junior until i finished playing football to always try and hurt my opponent in a tackle. My coach never told me about protecting the opposition from injury. For the record I am not playing footy anymore and I used to play for Doutta Stars in the EDFL.

Back on topic. Lonergan should play this week. Maybe they will look at Judd kneeing Hocking.

I have no problems if you hurt your opposition in a legitimate tackle. Ever read The Coach - Ron Barassi? In it, he demanded that every tackle was a stinging strong one...he never requested his players to run in from 20 metres away, dive into their back and either try to cause a neck or shoulder injury. If you had a coach that demanded his players to do something like what Lonergan did - tell me his name.

It was a line in the sand moment for Carlton, but unlike Hawthorn we didn't even let Lonergan know. It didn't even cause a ripple amongst his teammates. That moment showed a lot.

Judd kneeing Hocking? are you serious, mate? Cause it caused as much damage as a pillow being massaged against your stomach. Nothing. Carazzo in contrast went to hospital you fool.

Will be interested to see your response if Jobe Watson gets tackled like that against Collingwood and is out for 8 weeks. I am guessing you will fully support it..as after all, every coach you have had has instructed you to charge in from 20 metres away, tackle someone from behind and drive their head and shoulder into the ground. The precedent has been set. Expect to see more of these tackles in future in the AFL. I have never seen a tackle like this before, but expect to see more from now on.

It's not a tickling contest guys. Tackles happen and injuries occur. It's the nature of a contact sport. Poor tackle but anyone who is suggesting weeks is seriously delusional.

Did you watch the incident?

Crameri pushed Judd forward who fell into Hocking.

They should look at your diving for frees.

Something the AFL are supposed to be cracking down on.

Your players couldn't stand up if they were wearing calipers.

Nice one. Not happy with the special treatment you got in front of goal with two of the worst decisions ever.

How about your players instinctively running head first into contact. Happened often enough to be noticeable.

Not whinging about that are we?

can't believe how many pages for such a simple outcome. In the back, free kick.

Just a lot of Blues supporters struggling to comprehend why they were comprehensively outplayed and needing to blame something. Mentally weak.

It's not a tickling contest guys. Tackles happen and injuries occur. It's the nature of a contact sport. Poor tackle but anyone who is suggesting weeks is seriously delusional.

Correct, it's unfortunate Carazzo got injured. In a contact sport though injuries do happen and with players getting built more & more for size and explosiveness it may start to happen more.

It was a pretty crude tackle, but I dont think that it is a reportable offense. I think it is a good distraction for Carlton to deflect the way they didn't really compete on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice one. Not happy with the special treatment you got in front of goal with two of the worst decisions ever.

How about your players instinctively running head first into contact. Happened often enough to be noticeable.

Not whinging about that are we?

can't believe how many pages for such a simple outcome. In the back, free kick.

Just a lot of Blues supporters struggling to comprehend why they were comprehensively outplayed and needing to blame something. Mentally weak.

Yep, they were really mentally weak in your "dream final" last year. It's only round 4 ffs, wait until how we see the season pans out a bit.

As for the tackle it's quite clear that he wanted to hurt Carrazzo but that doesn't necessarily make it reportable. Whether or not it's more than a free kick we'll just have to wait for the lottery numbers to come through.

You need to have someone hard enough on your list to arrange it.

Considering that your entire team had two hours of game time to seek Lonergan out, I'd say Sammy isn't losing sleep at the thought of the tough nuts at Carlton.
This thread sounds like post game reaction of round 22 2009.....

:thumbsu::D

He doesn't deserve a week, a reprimand or a fine.

It was a free kick.

Next thing we know, players will be getting suspended for chasing a guy too hard, causing him to do his hammy. :rolleyes:

He has broken a players shoulder because of a careless tackle, he wanted to make a statement "we are here to play" now the AFL need to make, you are out because what you did was careless and stupid.

I agree. The only thing Sammy should be losing sleep over is how anyone in the essendon football department hasnt caught onto the fact he's an ammos standard footballer (at best).

He'd be your second best midfielder. Is that how it works? :eek:

Who am I kidding - he'd be your best tall forward.

He has broken a players shoulder because of a careless tackle, he wanted to make a statement "we are here to play" now the AFL need to make, you are out because what you did was careless and stupid.

What he did was attack the player with force, and that player happen to get injured.

I don't wish injury on Carazzo, but Lonergan was one in a long list of players who showed how truly soft you are as a club.

Only saw the tackle for the first time 5 minutes ago
Is that it? People are venting over that?

It was a clumsy tackle and deserving of a free kick, but intent to hurt seems like a long bow to draw

You see that kind of thing happen every week. Half the time when you do see it, I wonder whether it's the bloke getting tackled that decides to drop the knees anyway (not saying it was so in this case, just saying)

Carrazzo unlucky enough to land awkwardly

OVER A ****** Tackle?

Mate you and Carlton need to grow the **** up and learn that this is AFL. If you can get away with hurting the opposition LEGALLY then as far as I'm concerned that's fair play.

Far out no wonder the game has gone soft since the 90s you lot are sounding a lot like Hawthorn supporters a few years ago (although they had a bit more reason to be upset).

I think this is the point, it was not legal. It was a cheap act a dirt act and a careless illegal act.

This is just my opinion, i am not saying i am right but it is the way i see it.

Not a Carlton fan, not an Essendon hater, and not unduly against the tackle either, but would Essendon be baying for blood if someone did it to Watson or Hurley?

If no, then pay the free and move on. If yes, look into it.

BLEEDINGLY OBVIOUS THAT LONERGAN TRIED TO KILL HIM IN COLD BLOOD. LINED HIM UP FROM 400M AND JUST TRIED TO MURDER HIM. SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND JAILED FOR LIFE.

or

was a free kick and nothing more

Quit your bitching blues fans it was unfortunate that a dirty little prick like Carrazzo got injured but injuries happen it was worth a free kick and nothing more.

It was a stupid and negligent tackle, that is the reason most Blues fans aren't happy with it.

The way I see it, the AFL will cite that it was a negligent tackle, and they will probably factor in Carrazzo's injury time (being 6-8 weeks) and act accordingly. Whilst I'm not sure (and I very highly doubt) that Lonergan went into the match wanting to injure Carrazzo, the intent was there to hurt (which is fair enough, I mean when you learn AFL the first thing your coach tells you is to make sure to make them feel the tackle).

If Carrazzo had walked away from the tackle without an injury, there is no case, mabye just a warning to Lonergan about laying dangerous tackles. But because the tackle was negligent and plain dangerous, and Carrazzo sustained a fairly serious injury, it will defiantly be looked at by the MRP.

Overall probably a one week suspension (I think Lonergan has some carry over points so maybe 2).

And for the Bombers fans saying about Judd kneeing Hocking, he was being bloody pushed into Hocking by the Essendon player behind him.....

He "executed a good tackle that went a bit longer". Me thinks I doubt you have played footy based on this statement.

For starters the tackle cannot be considered "good" if you charge in at top speed 20 metres away and pile drive someone into the ground shoulder first.

The invitation is still there. Let me know what league you play in and I am quite willing to let you experience a similar tackle if you like. I weigh about 85-90 kilos. After all, it is all legal as you say... it just "went a bit longer". That is the excuse I will use if I go up before a tribunal.

Wow.... just wow.

Here we go a true April premier well done. You won a match thats right a match and you brag about it.

The irony. We know we aren't a flag threat, but you guys certainly thought you were and talked yourselves up all week. It was a matter only of by how much. You lost cop it on the chin. Stop hiding behind an unfortunate injury to deflect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back