News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Should Luke Beveridge be suspended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I never implied that you can only be a good journalist if you have on-field experience, I simply said that doing so means you shouldn't treat yourself like you're privileged to that headspace.

There are great sports journalists without any games of experience next to their name of course, but the best ones also know and understand their position and validity.

Damien Barrett is a good example of a journalist who always talks about coaches and club boards like he actually has a position in them and knows what its like inside club walls. You can usually tell these types of journos apart based on their tone, which usually consists of know it all arrogance.
Most people would hold Mike Sheahan up as an example too, although IIRC he played VFA for years and was a handy footballer.

I think Morris as well as ANY AFL journalist who has never played a single second of the game in their life (Damian Barrett & Sam McClure are good examples) need to stop overestimating the size of their nose as well as where they can poke it.

Yes, I get Luke's reaction was overtop and needlessly aggressive, at the same time though I really think Morris could've just waited until the Dogs actually announced their own 22, and made his own analysis and opinion of the late changes with Hunter before the game after the match, without conceding any prior knowledge.

Journalists are suppose to provide their own takes on existing information and evidence, not jump the gun on unofficial decisions, ESPECIALLY those which have direct on - field impact.

So speculation rumors inside word on sleecton is a NO NO,

Well them just cancel the entirety of sports journalism,

Weather they have played the game or not is irrelevant is just playing the man,

Speculation isn't journalism thats the point. People have let the bar drop so low. If you want speculation don't read their stuff just stay on here. Their job is to find leads confirm then inform

Speculation isn't journalism thats the point. People have let the bar drop so low. If you want speculation don't read their stuff just stay on here. Their job is to find leads confirm then inform
I’m not actually offended by speculation about a player being dropped. If it was about something more critical, then yep, it’s not ideal but we aren’t talking saving the world from Vlad here. Nor do I see it as letting ’the bar drop so low.‘ It’s been part of the footy landscape for a long time. People are really interested in football stories. Morris did find a lead, and it was confirmed until johannson got injured. All good, clean fun until bevo decided this minor incident was worth dying on a hill for.

When speculation rumours are fed to the journalists for the potential purpose of giving away a clubs selection strategy then absolutely its a problem

It's different if its in the context of a injury recovery or (with evidence) an internal discipline issue, but we're talking about a selection decision the coaches wanted to make for the sake of strategy, and nothing off - field related.

It's all over Twitter - Ukrainian refugees pause in mad dash through shelling barrage to pray for Tom Morris.
I heard little Pushka from Maripol has started a Go Fund Me to make sure Tom Morris can afford his MCC Membership next year
I'm sure Morris had a lot to say when his political hero (Trump) criticised the media. Let's check his Twitter....

When speculation rumours are fed to the journalists for the potential purpose of giving away a clubs selection strategy then absolutely its a problem

It's different if its in the context of a injury recovery or (with evidence) an internal discipline issue, but we're talking about a selection decision the coaches wanted to make for the sake of strategy, and nothing off - field related.
A problem with who? Someone at the club has obviously put this out there, they are the problem, not the media reporting it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

38 pages of this, and some are still missing the point - it's not even about the story anymore, it's now about Bevo and his state of mind. I posted this 30+ pages ago, lol, and I'll just repost again, given people seem to be going in circles over who is right or wrong (hint: it doesn't matter anymore):

"People defending Bevo are missing the point - he didn't even give Morris right of reply...he just yelled at him for 3 minutes straight and then walked out. That's what angry children do, not highly paid professionals that are the face of a reputable sporting organization.

It's absolute semantics whether or not Morris was right or not - which he was in the end given Hunter did get dropped, and Bevo admitted they planned this on the Sunday, and it got leaked. What matters, is that on national tv, during a live conference, an adult behaved like a toddler over the most inauspicious thing you could think of - team selection. It's not like Morris leaked his home address...he got info, and used that info to release a story once his source inside the Dogs gave it to him. That's journalism. Yeah it might not be that pretty or even upstanding, but there is far worse that has been leaked in our game before - the Adam Treloar mental health incident that got leaked and Bevo blew up about, was a good example of something being worth reacting to.

What's even more crazy, is that he obviously spent an inordinate amount of time around this Hunter issue...whilst repeating the same mistakes he made in the Grand Final last year...and letting Petracca run around on his own doing as he pleased. It's deflection at its finest, and to be honest, it's not an issue that he's going to be able to play the martyr over - because it's so f*cking inconsequential lol."

MEAA Journalist Code of Ethics​

Seems like Bevo has mainly accused Tom Morris being in breach of standards 4, 5 and 11 with a question mark on 8 as well. (As he said Tom has "somehow" found out the information).

Whether he is correct remains to be seen, and is for people far more educated on the topic than me to decide.
I want to preface this by saying I have no real sympathy for Tom Morris, and he's an utter flog. I have completed a journalism degree, but have indefinitely delayed taking up a job in the industry in favour of local freelance work, because of disenfranchisement with media ownership, tosspots like him, and seeing how many of my uni peers allowed their morals to be compromised following taking up their first jobs at gutter rag publishers.

BUT, if this is the reason for Bevo's attack, frankly there's absolutely no grounds for it. In fact, whoever the complainant spoke to at the MEAA would probably laugh if a conflict of interest complaint was made on the basis of a reporter supporting a football team. There's no case on points 4 and 5.

There is sadly (at least in terms of the broader implications) even less of a case on points 8 and 11. I would assume it's less of a thing today with the internet and ability to contact people via online channels, but what they call 'death knocks' were a common practice in journalism, which involve showing up unannounced to the homes of family of recently deceased people for an interview. Frankly, it's perhaps the most abhorrent practice in the industry, but prospective journalists are told it's something they have to be prepared to do. In fact, I've heard of instances where the press have showed up at relatives of deceased peoples' houses before they have even been made aware of their passing. As far as I'm aware, the MEAA has never actioned anything regarding this either, other than tut-tutting about it. It's not really their fault either. They actually have s**t all power.

I don't sympathise with Tom Morris, as stated. The fact that he actually has a degree and still operates the way he does is arguably even more of an indictment on him than someone like Tom Browne, who hasn't actually studied the field he works in. But I do think if Bevo's issue was about ethics, his anger was misplaced. The anger should be directed at the culture of journalism workplaces, because particularly at somewhere like FOX, you're not going to last long if you don't operate how Tom Morris does. It's why FOX loves him so much.

I know that Bevo can't exactly take a swipe at FOX, which is probably a large part of the issue. It's a broader social issue with media ownership, and the lack of funding for public broadcasters with more robust and ethical cultures. There's no accountability where it actually matters, and even if his crusade ended Morris' career (and it won't), there'd be several other desperate journalists ready to replace him and do exactly what he does, because it's what they have to do to survive in a workplace like FOX.

I don't know what the answer is (well I do but it's not happening any time soon), but IMO Bevo's outburst wasn't it. As much as a loser as Tom Morris is, arguably bullying him on live TV (deserved or not) won't solve the issue, and completely misplaces the blame.

Excuse the paragraphs, this is not intended to be a dig at your post or anything, just wanted to shed some light on the code of ethics and whatnot.

Last edited:
38 pages of this, and some are still missing the point - it's not even about the story anymore, it's now about Bevo and his state of mind. I posted this 30+ pages ago, lol, and I'll just repost again, given people seem to be going in circles over who is right or wrong (hint: it doesn't matter anymore):

"People defending Bevo are missing the point - he didn't even give Morris right of reply...he just yelled at him for 3 minutes straight and then walked out. That's what angry children do, not highly paid professionals that are the face of a reputable sporting organization.

It's absolute semantics whether or not Morris was right or not - which he was in the end given Hunter did get dropped, and Bevo admitted they planned this on the Sunday, and it got leaked. What matters, is that on national tv, during a live conference, an adult behaved like a toddler over the most inauspicious thing you could think of - team selection. It's not like Morris leaked his home address...he got info, and used that info to release a story once his source inside the Dogs gave it to him. That's journalism. Yeah it might not be that pretty or even upstanding, but there is far worse that has been leaked in our game before - the Adam Treloar mental health incident that got leaked and Bevo blew up about, was a good example of something being worth reacting to.

What's even more crazy, is that he obviously spent an inordinate amount of time around this Hunter issue...whilst repeating the same mistakes he made in the Grand Final last year...and letting Petracca run around on his own doing as he pleased. It's deflection at its finest, and to be honest, it's not an issue that he's going to be able to play the martyr over - because it's so f*cking inconsequential lol."

It is understood Beveridge wasn’t looking to be fair to Morris. He wanted to tear strips off him in a public forum because Morris again had a role in making public matters that should be confidential within his club.

"‘Absolute disgrace’: Coach disgusts Australia"

lmao at this headline about Beveridge. Clickbait is all the rage these days.

I don't care one iota for Beveridge yet i think that headline is grounds for defamation.
And the people who are ‘disgusted’ are all Morris’ Fox/News Corp colleagues.

I don't care one iota for Beveridge yet i think that headline is grounds for defamation.

Ironically, it’s now created more click bait and heat on the club via the media.. a dig at the media, has now created more media headlines.

It's gross and sensationalist, but there's no real grounds for defamation.

Back