Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

This is what I’m struggling to get my head around. Where do we draw the line now?

I’ve been asking this regularly in this thread, and no-one seems capable of answering. Why didn’t Shaun Burgoyne ever get booed? Why doesn’t Bobby Hill get booed? Why doesn’t Wanganeen-Milera get booed?

We are we shying away from the fact Buddy can be a flog, has acted the flog before and people can dislike him. Why do we have to pull out the race card?
Because you don't understand what racism is. It's not just what comes out of your mouth or what you think, it's not always that blatant, it's also about whether your action triggers the person you are directing it at because of the struggles and trauma they faced culturally in the past. There's no line when it comes to racism, and it can manifest even when you do not realise it.

If booing triggers an indigenous players trauma of the s**t they've copped in the past and you're told about it, then the next time time you boo it becomes racism. Even if the first time had nothing to do with racism.

Same goes for a white person who comes out and says booing is starting to affect their mental health, at that point even if your reasoning is not abusive, if you continue knowing it is affecting them negatively, then it becomes abuse. The reason you started booing in the first place becomes irrelevant to whether it's racism/abuse or not.

And the what about other Aboriginal players excuse is pure bs, and proves the point is flying over your head. If someone like Burgoyne did something on the field to warrant booing, who knows, it could've potentially triggered him too. He and other indigenous players who havnt copped it are very lucky, because if they did, they could've spiralled as well.

Last edited:

Tom Papley and Jack Ginnivan getting booed. Does their mental health not matter as much?
Most people who are booing Tom Papley or Jack Ginnivan could probably give you an explanation why: ducking for free kicks, diving, or in Tom Papley's case being an aggressive flog.

I don't think anyone can articulate why they were booing Buddy Franklin, other than "a bunch of other people were doing it so I joined in". That is a little bit problematic.

Lol Goodes got booed like that for a season and it started from the pies game and died by finals, so not even a full season.

Jobe Watson was weekly booed for far longer.
Both were wrong and went too far.

You can think that if you want to - thats the medias view.

As Melbourne Swans member, I know better - we all do.

Because you don't understand what racism is. It's not just what comes out of your mouth or what you think, it's not always that blatant, it's also about whether your action triggers the person you are directing it at because of the struggles and trauma they faced culturally in the past. There's no line when it comes to racism, and it can manifest even when you do not realise it.

If booing triggers an indigenous players trauma of the s**t they've copped in the past and you're told about it, then the next time time you boo it becomes racism. Even if the first time had nothing to do with racism.

Same goes for a white person who comes out and says booing is starting to affect their mental health, at that point even if your reasoning is not abusive, if you continue knowing it is affecting them negatively, then it becomes abuse. The reason you started booing in the first place becomes irrelevant to whether it's racism/abuse or not.

And the what about other Aboriginal players excuse is pure bs, and proves the point is flying over your head. If someone like Burgoyne did something on the field to warrant booing, who knows, it could've potentially triggered him too. He and other indigenous players who havnt copped it are very lucky, because if they did, they could've spiralled as well.

No it's not racism, just because they feel it is (despite knowing its not).
It falls under the same banner as your white example.
OTT abuse or pack bullying all game game after game, that mentally effects a person and the extreme examples need to stop like Gooes, Buddy boos was not that.
You can't just hide behind racism banners because you feel like it or use it as a card when you dont agree on things or get upset.

You can think that if you want to - thats the medias view.

As Melbourne Swans member, I know better - we all do.

Goodes was booed most his career. But not incessantly like that season.

The booing that needs to stop is the type like Watson, Goodes, Ginnivan amoung others have received weekly targeted booing with no end.

Franklin did not and has not received the OTT stuff.

No it's not racism, just because they feel it is (despite knowing its not).
It falls under the same banner as your white example.
OTT abuse or pack bullying all game game after game, that mentally effects a person and the extreme examples need to stop like Gooes, Buddy boos was not that.
You can't just hide behind racism banners because you feel like it or use it as a card when you dont agree on things or get upset.
I agree the buddy boos weren't that, because there was no precedent. It was the first time, and the first time is mostly always incident related, not racist. Reason why players, coaches and AFL have stepped in is so that it doesn't continue and turn into that. It's their responsibility to do that for indigenous players because even if buddy stays quiet and copped it ongoing, there's a high chance it could affect him due to his background. It's pretty basic.

Most people who are booing Tom Papley or Jack Ginnivan could probably give you an explanation why: ducking for free kicks, diving, or in Tom Papley's case being an aggressive flog.

I don't think anyone can articulate why they were booing Buddy Franklin, other than "a bunch of other people were doing it so I joined in". That is a little bit problematic.

Lol they have stated why, I didn't even go to the game and know why.

People are choosing very deliberately mind you to ignore those reasons or dismiss them.

Goodes was booed most his career. But not incessantly like that season.

The booing that needs to stop is the type like Watson, Goodes, Ginnivan amoung others have received weekly targeted booing with no end.

Franklin did not and has not received the OTT stuff.
My god…I’m reluctant to say I agree with you.

Now bu99er off. 😆😆

Yeah but he isn't indigenous.

He's been of the most powerful people in the Australian football and media landscape and he's happy to treat people like s**t if it serves his interests or Collingwood's, so he's fair game. People are allowed to punch upwards, only jerks and bullies punch down.
This is pretty decent example of tall poppy syndrome.

So its not okay to boo aboriginal players except when its this particular aboriginal player?

In which case we can ignore it.

I don’t know who whats his name even is - I just know he was not booed by every team.

Putting that aside…what point are you trying to make? Because you’ve lost me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booing and this topic aside, Buddy is equal the flog that Papley is.

The guy has been caught out abusing females on Chapel street and plays the game of footy on the edge, serving multiple suspensions. Outside him being an absolute legend of our game for what he has achieved, if you don’t see him as a flog at times you’re choosing to keep your head in the sand because you’re too scared it might come off as being racist because he is indigenous.

This is pretty decent example of tall poppy syndrome.

No, Maguire is a fat mouthed TV salesman and could be seen to be an egotistical megalomaniac who worked incredibly hard to establish a power base.

He discovered he could smarm, charm, intimidate, threaten and pay his way to the top, thru media and AFL role.

He looked after his mates , his team, and he thinks, his State very well - he trampled everything else.

He got power crazed, made silly comments, made stupid excuses, and fell off his throne.

He’s still plotting, he’s still creepy…and 95% of people can see clear through him.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn’t mean to say you mocked me, you never did. I just meant you hold their opinions to a higher regard on social issues than mine then clarified it by saying it’s because it’s their workplace in the above quoted post.

I also disagree with that view. Are you talking about workplace vilification or racism? Again, I reckon I’ve got the right to feel more strongly, or have a greater voice than they do about racial vilification considering my background, and my being a minority in this country. As I said earlier in this thread, when I was a kid, growing up in far north QLD, a school told my parents we should be assigned ‘English’ names so that we’d fit in better. Do you really think Craig McRae, Darcy Moore or Craig Kelly have a right to have a bigger voice than me around this topic? Just because they’re high profile? Or just because it’s their workplace?

Again, I need you to clarify, is booing all together needing to stop? Or just who it’s directed to and why?

You’re saying if someone simply changes who he is employed by, or if they make a mistake in their line of work, it’s ‘one thing’ to boo them, but it’s completely different if the one on the receiving end is indigenous.

You either have to put a stop to booing completely, and outlaw it, or it needs to be free reign for all (within reason and as long as it’s not done in response to a racial issue). You can’t nitpick on this and who gets booed and who doesn’t. It’s actually indirectly becoming a racial issue if people DON’T boo an indigenous player because they are indigenous. That becomes crazy.

Proviso - I’m reiterating my point that I’m not personally a booer (have done it to umpiring decisions only) but just trying to understand the boundaries people are wanting to set on this topic.
Well, who knows, but I thought the buddy booing was a bit of payback for the Ginnivan treatment last year, a bit of anger at the Daicos stuff, a bit of buddy is a good target because he has caused you a lot of grief with his marvellous footy over the years. ( although some racist people will exploit that situation and give vent to it).
I’d have thought anyone has a right to a fair workspace. Or as fair as the footy arena can be given the circumstances that make it different from most workplaces. The buddy booing wasn’t fair- he hadn’t done anything that warranted that response. Ginnivan is a pantomime villain and got some boos for that, as did Selwood, as will Stewart tomorrow night. Richmond will give him heaps tomorrow night and fair enough, but if it continues every time we play them and is relentless and noisy like buddy’s was every time - then it’s bollocks- mean and nasty for the sake of it and why would anyone want to be like that?
If you grew up as a minority in far north queensland and copped racism, then you have my sympathy. The far north is pretty wild.
This is how I view the ‘booing code‘, but it’s an arbitrary thing from me and everyone has a different standard so thats why all this is tricky. It’s juvenile to boo players who change clubs - it’s just the nature of the game now and we have had plenty of time to adjust to that. Get over it. ( or boo them at the start, have a laugh and move on). It’s ok to boo someone who did a perceived dirty act - but only for that game, and even then perceptions are tricky so don’t overdo it. Booing for someone lining up for a goal has certainly crept in but it’s also ordinary stuff and doesn’t work anyway. Don‘t boo umps. Don’t boo for racial reasons. Boo a regular villain if you must, but only in a genial way. I suspect it’s all about moderation and being reasonable. I don’t boo anyone.

Last edited:
On-field? Not a chance.

The guy has been caught out abusing females on Chapel street
Females? You mean more than one? Really? I read about the designer, who Franklin believes abused him too.
He wasn't "caught out" in that incident by the way, she posted about it online, bit different I think.

That was in his Hawthorn days though, funny he's just being booed about it now?

... and plays the game of footy on the edge, serving multiple suspensions.
I haven't noticed him when I've seen him play these last couple of years.

He's been suspended for 7 matches, not a lot for someone with his longevity.

Last edited:

The guy has been caught out abusing females on Chapel street and plays the game of footy on the edge, serving multiple suspensions. Outside him being an absolute legend of our game for what he has achieved, if you don’t see him as a flog at times you’re choosing to keep your head in the sand because you’re too scared it might come off as being racist because he is indigenous.
Ok, what are your thoughts on JdG and Ginni?

I don’t know who whats his name even is - I just know he was not booed by every team.

Putting that aside…what point are you trying to make? Because you’ve lost me.
You said Sydney had grown up since the "Boo a Roo" days but clearly they hadn't or they wouldn't have booed an indigenous player from another club after Goodes left the game because of his treatment.

When are people going to work out that what one goose does, or what he gets on the field…..has ZERO relevance to the simple fact - Mob bullying is a p1ssweak, miserable, mean, dull-witted, pathetic, lame way of expressing your ‘dislike’ for something….unless its a seriously villainous moment.

Hounding people is what DOGS do.

You said Sydney had grown up since the "Boo a Roo" days but clearly they hadn't or they wouldn't have booed an indigenous player from another club after Goodes left the game because of his treatment.

Did they?

People keep bringing up Sydney fans booing buddy, but this was after he whacked mattner and he was having a shot for goal. Both acceptable reasons, right? 🙄

On-field? Not a chance.
I disagree. At least Papley plays within the rules of the game and hasn’t been done for striking, rough conduct, elbowing etc. like Buddy has.
Females? You mean more than one? Really? I read about the designer, who Franklin believes abused him too.
He wasn't "caught out" in that incident by the way, she posted about it online, bit different I think.

You’re justifying abusing females? I’m guessing you don’t have a daughter if you’re defending him for that.

That was in his Hawthorn days though, funny he's just being booed about it now?
I said booing aside, in referencing him acting like a flog often enough to validate why he may not be universally liked.
I haven't noticed him when I've seen him play these last couple of years.

He's been suspended for 7 matches, not a lot for someone with his longevity.
So if someone has been suspended multiple times, and you’ve shared it’s equated to 7 games, they aren’t prone to being a flog? How many players have been suspended for 7 games across their whole career that are good blokes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back