Collingwood’s Moneyball

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Collingwood’s top 2 rated players in the Grand Final essentially cost them 2 third rounders (Mitchell) and a second rounder (Hill). Throw in a SSP (Markov) in February and a FA (McStay) who helped get them there. You’ve got some key ingredients that made a premiership recipe - all for a couple of packets of twisties.

Is this the path we’ll be seeing a lot more clubs go down? Particularly with North’s next couple of drafts and the inception of the Tasmanian team?

Brisbane did it to a lesser extent, when looking at Gunston (Hodge before him), McKenna and Lyons. I wouldn’t include Charlie, Joey and Dunkley as they came at a premium.

Which team has tried the moneyball approach and failed? Which team has done the same and succeeded?

This is on the MB and not the drafts/trading one because I’m not talking about specific trades/trading, I’m talking more so about club strategy around their list management.

da155e8a1660ad08198c8fad59bdca5adac5cdd1

Collingwood’s top 2 rated players in the Grand Final essentially cost them 2 third rounders (Mitchell) and a second rounder (Hill). Throw in a SSP (Markov) in February and a FA (McStay) who helped get them there. You’ve got some key ingredients that made a premiership recipe - all for a couple of packets of twisties.

Is this the path we’ll be seeing a lot more clubs go down? Particularly with North’s next couple of drafts and the inception of the Tasmanian team?

Brisbane did it to a lesser extent, when looking at Gunston (Hodge before him), McKenna and Lyons. I wouldn’t include Charlie, Joey and Dunkley as they came at a premium.

Which team has tried the moneyball approach and failed? Which team has done the same and succeeded?

This is on the MB and not the drafts/trading one because I’m not talking about specific trades/trading, I’m talking more so about club strategy around their list management.
That's not a new phenomenon.
It's too slow to build your side up only on the success of 1st and 2nd round picks. And too expensive.

You need Rookies, trade steals, and mature aged recruits to keep the cap low.

Richmond in 2017 for example had

Grimes (PSD)
Grigg (trade)
Houli (PSD)
Townsend (trade)
Caddy (trade)
Lambert (rookie)
Nankervis (trade)
Castagna (rookie)

All absolute steals we got using methods outside the national draft.

That's not a new phenomenon.
It's too slow to build your side up only on the success of 1st and 2nd round picks. And too expensive.

You need Rookies, trade steals, and mature aged recruits to keep the cap low.

Richmond in 2017 for example had

Grimes (PSD)
Grigg (trade)
Houli (PSD)
Townsend (trade)
Caddy (trade)
Lambert (rookie)
Nankervis (trade)
Castagna (rookie)

All absolute steals we got using methods outside the national draft.
Didn’t realise nank was a trade in. Third rounder too, sydney pineappled there

Rookies that kick on and good trading are a big part of building a premiership list.

We had Morris, Picken, M.Boyd and JJ all from the rookie list in our flag. I feel like thats what our list at present is missing

Mcstay was a pretty massive contract for what he has actually given wasn't it?

Reported 600k per season, bargain given we absolutely do not win the flag without him given his performances in the very low scoring QF and PF
5 years at 600k isn't so bad I agree. I wouldn't call it a bargain though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years at 600k isn't so bad I agree. I wouldn't call it a bargain though.
Especially when his career output is 10 disposals 1 goal a game.

Helpful for structure and overall not a bad player, but paying 600k (above average salary) for below average output is not “moneyball”, it’s actually antithesis to moneyball.

Again, not criticising the decision, just that the term “moneyball” is massively misunderstood by the OP in terms of what it actually means.

I don’t know any flag teams that haven’t had value picks.

Cats 2022 for example had mature aged Tom Stewart with pick 40 (3rd rounder), Jake Kolodjashnij pick 41 (3rd rounder), Jed Bews pick 86, Tom Atkins as a rookie, Zach Guthrie as a rookie, Brad Close as a rookie, Mark O’Connor as a category B rookie (!), Gary Rohan traded for pick 62, Gryan Miers pick 57, Tyson Stengle as a DFA. I haven’t bothered to look further but Blicavs and Henry and Stanley and Parfitt probably all came cheap.

If you merely go with “they helped us win a flag (even if they didn’t play in it)” as a definition of moneyball I guess Nick Daicos & Jordy De Goey are moneyball picks too.

He was stuck behind Naismith for the 2016 season, so Sydney let him go. Naismith has played about a dozen games since due to injury.
Nank is one of the underrated trades of the last 15-20 years tbh. It’s common practice for ruckmen to flourish as #1 at their new clubs (Witts, Pittonet, Phillips, Hickey, Ladhams) but Nank’s impact is monumental. Premierships and captaincy 👌🏼

Collingwood don't make the grand final without N Daicos. Most players can play one good game, but the arrival of Daicos and the improvement of his brother is what made Collingwood rise on the ladder to begin with.

Especially when his career output is 10 disposals 1 goal a game.

Helpful for structure and overall not a bad player, but paying 600k (above average salary) for below average output is not “moneyball”, it’s actually antithesis to moneyball.

Again, not criticising the decision, just that the term “moneyball” is massively misunderstood by the OP in terms of what it actually means.
You’re the one who has misunderstood the thread. When you recruit someone via FA, you are getting that player for free. Bobby Hill is now a Norm Smith medalist, and cost Collingwood pick 38. Tom Mitchell was a massive influence in Collingwood winning the premiership and it cost Collingwood picks 41 and 50. In trade value, this is as close to the AFL version of Moneyball as it could get.

If you wanted to relate it to the Oakland/baseball - Mihocek was pick 22 in the rookie draft, Cox was a pick 60 from the rookie draft, Crisp was steak-knives in a deal that also landed JDG, Josh Daicos was a pick in 50s or 60s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back