Is this where Collingwood falls away?

Remove this Banner Ad

Referring to the constant finals chokes
Its not unknown for teams that go deep in the finals to lose games late in the h&a with coaches putting their sides through a heavy training bloc leading to a taper & GF day.

Yes very bad signs for Collingwood, heart-breaking, really feel for their supporters.
Don't think "Flies" McRae's message is getting through anymore? Maybe time to get another overweight housewife in to "inspire the boys".
Was that McReery's mum they got mother's day? Ripping speech, I woulda run through a wall for that woman if only I wasn't stuck to the couch eating a Dorrito.

Yes very bad signs for Collingwood, heart-breaking, really feel for their supporters.
Don't think "Flies" McRae's message is getting through anymore? Maybe time to get another overweight housewife in to "inspire the boys".
Was that McReery's mum they got mother's day? Ripping speech, I woulda run through a wall for that woman if only I wasn't stuck to the couch eating a Dorrito.
CC’s are far superior.

Referring to the constant finals chokes
Collingwood don’t choke in finals. I’m fact they haven’t gone out in straight sets since 1988. They’ve had the double chance 9 times since 2002 as well. Only twice since 2002 have they failed to win a final. They always perform well in finals. Grand finals not so much but they give fans plenty to cheer about in September…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we are judged different to other teams. We will either end up with the most wins or equal most wins for the season however the media and other supporters think we should be winning more? Form isn't great but we can get that back in the last game hopefully.

I feel like we are judged different to other teams. We will either end up with the most wins or equal most wins for the season however the media and other supporters think we should be winning more? Form isn't great but we can get that back in the last game hopefully.

The same stories would be written about any team that dominated the season and then loses form right at the end of the season. It's not a good trend heading into September.

Aphrodite , it always surprises me when I see St Kilda supporters trying to be smart arsey like that. It’s like sit quietly in a corner because the grown ups are speaking.

Why does it surprise you?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

When it comes to the s**t we give it's only because we've copped it from Carlton supporters in the first place. It's not a one-way street.

For what it's worth I've enjoyed watching Carlton play recently and if it wasn't for your fan base I would love to see you guys win one soon.

Why does it surprise you?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

When it comes to the s**t we give it's only because we've copped it from Carlton supporters in the first place. It's not a one-way street.

For what it's worth I've enjoyed watching Carlton play recently and if it wasn't for your fan base I would love to see you guys win one soon.

We’ve both copped our fair share and had our back and forths. As long it doesn’t get personal and is in good fun, it’s all good.

View attachment 1778251

This post by Fox Footy actually surprised me
Yeah it is genuinely tricky to find examples of someone limping towards finals but still winning anyway.

West Coast in 2018 for their last 8 games went 6-2, so you can say that the 3-2 example is slightly misleading. The North loss was weird admittedly (but back then North were seriously good in Hobart), but the Melbourne game was a close one with Melbourne having more to play for. For the most part their form had largely remained the same throughout the season. In contrast I think Richmond arguably peaked too early that year, three of their last four H&A games they won by under 2 goals (the other game against the Suns who had won one game after Round 5 that year).

2016 the Dogs arguably were limping towards finals that year (went 3-3 from their last six games) and lost to a side that went 4-18 in the last round, but that flag win was so unlikely I don't think it means much going forward.

The other two examples where you could argue that a side that was struggling pre-finals but still won the Premiership was 2012 and 2009. In 2012 Sydney went 1-3 in their last four H&A fixtures, but two of those three losses were close ones against fellow Top 4 teams (Hawthorn and Collingwood), and the other one against Geelong in Geelong. Even when Sydney were flying those games would've been 50/50 or so, so I don't think it's that comparable to the Pies form slump.

2009 might be the one that gives Collingwood optimitism, though. After going 13 in a row Geelong went 5-4 for the rest of the season, but three of those five wins were by less than a goal. The other two wins came against Melbourne and Fremantle at home....they were legitimately playing kind of bad prior to finals but turned out fine. That's probably the only recent example of a side doing the whole "train ultra hard, mix a few things around and cop a few losses late in the season" thing and it actually working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back