Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

I think if the booing makes someone feel humiliated then I have to accept that they feel that way and adjust my behaviour. By the same token I don’t feel it’s helpful to make assumptions about the booer’s intent and lump it under one category such as racist because you’ll inevitably offend someone who booed without any consideration of race and the whole cycle continues. The fact that said person feels humiliated is the thing that matters.

Excellent post.

Some fans complaining that the club “hung them out to dry” and talk about boycotting is sad. It’s one thing to claim a “right” to boo, but don’t complain that the club is “soft” for not defending them for it.

The coach/players have said many times they don’t like booing full stop (McRae re: JHF; Adams re:Sydney fans booing Ginni). The club is consistent - they’ve stepped it up because some haven’t listened.

The club apology didn’t cite racism. But even if there is no racist intent, all that matters is how the person on the receiving end feels. And if just one kid in the crowd sees it and misunderstands why they are booing then that would be terrible.

As a booer you’re anonymous and unaccountable; the players/coach have their name, reputation and legacy at stake and might be sick of answering media questions about it and apologising for a past they weren’t involved in. Having just gone through Do Better and the Winmar apology - history is only going to judge harsher retrospectively so it's understandable to err on the side of caution “even if” it’s about mental health and depression.

So booers can still assert their right to boo but don't complain when the club say they don’t like it - paying membership doesn’t mean you own player/coach opinions. It's hypocritical to say players shouldn’t be so sensitive to booing yet be so offended because the club apologised for it.

(Would they boo at their 9yo kid’s game? And if their kid asked them to stop because it was embarrassing, would they complain and boycott their games? What’s the difference?)

Pies are top of the ladder, playing highly entertaining football at a time when many expected them to be bottom 4 following 2021/salary cap implosion.

With a 2nd year player that’s a joy to watch and already Brownlow favourite.

When Opposition “hatred” for the Pies should be peaking in line with ladder position, yet a few seem to enjoy the confusing and guilty pleasure of a Pies win.

It’s sad that some Pies fans can’t enjoy that.
this is very good.

TBH I don't know what your definition of a "flog" actually is. I would say that Papley acts like a flog: aggressive, scrags a bit, celebrates goals like a moron, gets in the opponents face.
I don't associate that behaviour Franklin at all, nor do I associate him with being dirty.

A few suspensions in a very long career doesn't necessarily make someone a flog.
Flog just means someone they don't like but can't provide a justifiable reason for not liking. I'm sure if many drilled down on the reasons why they think only certain players are flogs, it might make them uncomfortable.

Flog just means someone they don't like but can't provide a justifiable reason for not liking. I'm sure if many drilled down on the reasons why they think only certain players are flogs, it might make them uncomfortable.
flog is like woke. it means your either too lazy or too thick or too scared to explain what you really want to say :)

That's your interpretation, many could have different ones, one size doesn't fit all.

For instance, I have mates who are flogs, doesn't mean I don't like them.

That's your interpretation, many could have different ones, one size doesn't fit all.

For instance, I have mates who are flogs, doesn't mean I don't like them.
yes but I have mates who regularly call each other all sorts of offensive names. This is a whole other matter. A perverse way of expressing endearment. :)

As you seem to know why other people think players are flogs, can you tell me why I think Rachele from Adelaide is a flog?

Just so I know why I should be uncomfortable.....

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

As you seem to know why other people think players are flogs, can you tell me why I think Rachele from Adelaide is a flog?

Just so I know why I should be uncomfortable.....

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because you're an adult, he's someone you don't even know personally and it's a childish insult.

Bill Murray Drink GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think flog nowadays really just means FIGJAM.
I had to try explain flog to my newphew, who is too young to get/know of figjam

All i have is danger surfing in a suit.
Which was problematic cos he was asking in the context of why pies fans were calling paddy "dangerflog"
So probably not the time to use that one

Effectively, its the petty tall poppy syndrome that has some level of justification given said person doesnt mind a bit of grandstanding or lack of self awareness :p
Not sure an 8yo processes that though

Can we boo referees still, uncontroversially?

Especially that 4th one with the Napolionic Personality Disorder.

The more I think about him, the less I care for him.

In all seriousness, who's looking after the referees? Are they boo immune? Does anybody care?

I like booing the players you love to hate... it adds to the theatre IMHO, but I reckon once you've booed them 20 times by 3/4 time it's best to go quiet as they are delivering some hurt. And if you've booed a forward lining up for goals more than 4 times you are probably looking stupid.

But how soft are people these days. Sheesh back in the VFL days running out on an opposition ground and not getting spat on, and called things a sailor would blush at, and all that by 80 year old ladies, then it meant they didn't rate you as a footballer.

I'll take 30K people booing me for getting two kicks a game if I'm getting 400k+ a year. Beats my day job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back