News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Should Luke Beveridge be suspended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo should concentrate on how to get the Bulldogs playing better footy. They were woeful save about 10 minutes yesterday.

Tbh his message wasn’t actually that bad. Journalists need to be more responsible with how they relay information and at worst provide some heads up when they break stories that will affect the club’s planning for game day.

I think the Dees have head*ed him. The Grand Final belting is still fresh, the Doggies were poor yesterday and to have some pencil neck Melbourne supporter journo ask questions after leaking club info twice probably tipped him over the edge.

When speculation rumours are fed to the journalists for the potential purpose of giving away a clubs selection strategy then absolutely its a problem

It's different if its in the context of a injury recovery or (with evidence) an internal discipline issue, but we're talking about a selection decision the coaches wanted to make for the sake of strategy, and nothing off - field related.

Exacttly football matters are entirely valid tipic for journalism and one that is patiently absurd to seek club confirmation on,

Morris in this instance was doing a standrad jouralims. his job, inside word on club stargey or tatcics is journalism. If he used unethical means to get it no. But if somone freely leaked this stuff it;s juts journalism.

I fthe diogs are leaking and Beavo upset shooting themessnager relfects baldy on hisim and does nothing to fix the problem.

Bevo probably in the wrong here but it was still hilarious to see a journalist cop it like that, especially considering it was Tom Morris. Only Tom Browne or Caroline Wilson would've been more deserving.

Bevo should concentrate on how to get the Bulldogs playing better footy. They were woeful save about 10 minutes yesterday.

Tbh his message wasn’t actually that bad. Journalists need to be more responsible with how they relay information and at worst provide some heads up when they break stories that will affect the club’s planning for game day.

I think the Dees have headfu**ed him. The Grand Final belting is still fresh, the Doggies were poor yesterday and to have some pencil neck Melbourne supporter journo ask questions after leaking club info twice probably tipped him over the edge.

Team selection news is constantly leaked.

We know about kids debuting before teams are announced, or before club puff pieces.

No coach other than Luke Beveridge has ever had a meltdown about it.

If Lachie Hunter playing / not-playing / playing was the sum total of Bevo's coaching strategy, then he's got serious problems.

Speculation isn't journalism thats the point. People have let the bar drop so low. If you want speculation don't read their stuff just stay on here. Their job is to find leads confirm then inform

Well it was NOT speculation it was based on a source. And it appears to have been correct. beavo seems to have gone thorough charade of selection of hunter just to spite Morris. Which is really unprofessional.

Honestly, it’s in Bevo’s memo to do this, he’s trying to create a siege mentality, he wants the players to feel like it’s ‘us against the world’, he knows what he’s doing. Will it work, on the fence on that one.

It's gross and sensationalist, but there's no real grounds for defamation.

He can argue putting that out there will hurt his future earnings and reputation. "Disgusts Australia"? Like really? I would be suing for damages if i were him.

Man, I love Bevo.

C'mon guys, anyone who calls out Purple and Morris should have the full support of every football supporter in the land! 🏆🏆

Personalities. Standards showuld apply regardless. In this case Beavo behaved badly.

Beavo might well be a great bloke and Morris a poor one but that's just not relevant.

Bevo probably in the wrong here but it was still hilarious to see a journalist cop it like that, especially considering it was Tom Morris. Only Tom Browne or Caroline Wilson would've been more deserving.
Don't think Caro holds a candle to either one of those *******s in terms of being deserving of a dressing down.

He was muck racking and we all know it.

A hell of a lot of people are addicted to the muck.

As evidenced by the reactions in this thread.

Tom Morris breathlessly scooped us 24 hours early that Lachie Hunter will not play. God Bless the Tom. Let's defend him, and uphold his right, nay obligation, to do so.

We are so obviously hooked on this muck after 40 years of Murdoch Conditioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can argue putting that out there will hurt his future earnings and reputation. "Disgusts Australia"? Like really? I would be suing for damages if i were him.
I thought honest opinion was a defence?

Team selection news is constantly leaked.

We know about kids debuting before teams are announced, or before club puff pieces.

No coach other than Luke Beveridge has ever had a meltdown about it.

If Lachie Hunter playing / not-playing / playing was the sum total of Bevo's coaching strategy, then he's got serious problems.
Did you miss the rest of the post?

His meltdown was the sum of many things.

It’s less about Tom Morris leaking info and more about the Melbourne FC going in dry on Grand Final day and beating the Doggies comfortably last night.

You reckon Bevo reacts in similar fashion if the Bulldogs won last night?

The defendant would say it was an opinion, and it would be laughed out of the courtroom. Not saying it's right or wrong, but other sports personalities (see someone like Nick Kyrgios or Liz Cambage) have copped it over a more prolonged period of time and never bothered going down the defamation path - at least as far as I am aware.

Also in case it wasn't clear, my haha react was at the absurdity of the headline (not your post, with which I agree other than the defamation point).

Bevo going the mental health route was truly pathetic.

If hes truly concerned about Hunter's mental fragility, then he wouldn't play ducks & drakes with his selection, then publicly abuse a journo for correctly reporting on his selection.

Bevo just being the usual lose-cannon he is though. if I'm a player under him then I'd be somewhat concerned.

Yep, and it's not bound by how out-of-touch with reality the opinion may be. Look at some of the s**t Derryn Hinch has gotten away with saying over the years. And even when he has been punished, it's never really amounted to more than a slap on the wrist relative to some of the s**t he has spouted (except for the contempt of court stuff which is a whole different kettle of fish).

I am hoping Bevo farts into the microphone at the next presser.
Nice.

Personally, I hope that they wheel out Bontempelli or another player over the weekend and they go all Comical Ali:

"Marcus, what are your thoughts on Luke's outburst at the press conference on Wed night? Has it affected you and the team?"
"Sorry, I don't watch the coach's pressers I don't know what you're talking about"

While this will probably last a few news cycles, someone will get spanked by 80+ over the weekend and there'll be another club in crisis. The AFL media are like magpies, the next shiny thing will distract them.

Bevo went too far last night and clouded his point with some ill-advised language, I'm sure he'll be spoken to by someone inside the club and the AFL. But it's been building for a while, he has obvious disdain for the "journalists" who relentlessly go after players and coaches and then seem outraged when they're called out on their bs. It's a shame he went too far and did it over a team selection story rather than one of the more muck-rakey ones we see all the time, because it's going to get a different type of attention now.

Don't think Caro holds a candle to either one of those *******s in terms of being deserving of a dressing down.
Tom Browne (allegedly) went to Shane Tuck's a funeral chasing a story

Tom Browne (allegedly) went to Shane Tuck's a funeral chasing a story
I remember that. Believe he was also accused of doing the same following John Kennedy's passing too.

The title was speaking on behalf of Australians as a whole without factual basis behind it. I'm not disgusted by it so it's a sensationalist lie in my opinion. I understand Beveridge was emotional with the club leaking info and coming off a strong defeat so i can cut the guy some slack.

Back