Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the coach seems clueless at present but I think we have all swallowed the hype that we have a great list and last night proved it. In supposedly our best 23 players in this team (minus Weightman), our bottom 6 are ordinary footballers. They're defined as ordinary due to a drop off in form, lack of pace, a lack of skill, a lack of smarts or combinations of all of these. You know who they are.
Whilst the depth of our bottom 6 is not great, I don't think this is our biggest problems against the best sides.

Gawn, Oliver, Petrucca, Harmes or Viney are constant beating English, Bont, McCrae and Libba. They are dominating the centre clearances and the support players in the wings, half backs and half forwards work such much harder than we do and for longer. The breakaway of Oliver and Petrucca in particular was dominate and had me thinking we need to through someone else in there at least for the centre bounce. Eg: Richards. Libba and MaCrae had a bit of the ball yet they did not influence. Libba is the grunt yet needs support around him.

Still think we can bounce back yet I personally don't want to see the same on ball bridgade all year. If we do, we are going backwards.

Whilst the depth of our bottom 6 is not great, I don't think this is our biggest problems against the best sides.

Gawn, Oliver, Petrucca, Harmes or Viney are constant beating English, Bont, McCrae and Libba. They are dominating the centre clearances and the support players in the wings, half backs and half forwards work such much harder than we do and for longer. The breakaway of Oliver and Petrucca in particular was dominate and had me thinking we need to through someone else in there at least for the centre bounce. Eg: Richards. Libba and MaCrae had a bit of the ball yet they did not influence. Libba is the grunt yet needs support around him.

Still think we can bounce back yet I personally don't want to see the same on ball bridgade all year. If we do, we are going backwards.
Baz needs to step up on the inside too and give us our own big bodied burst inside mid. He’s capable, and put in a great showing in the preseason but was crap round 1.

We need him to step up inside full time to give us another look in there

Saw a post on twitter regarding the recruitment we've done under Bevo. Hasn't been great.

Gowers, Suckling, Trengrove, Schache, Lloyd (was decent but retires out of nowhere). All gone.

Obrian, Hannan, Duryea, crozier (haven't been great)

Trealor and Keith I guess have been good when healthy.
Duryea has been an excellent pick up. Crozier had a brilliant few years before losing form. Suckers was a fine player too.

Saw a post on twitter regarding the recruitment we've done under Bevo. Hasn't been great.

Gowers, Suckling, Trengrove, Schache, Lloyd (was decent but retires out of nowhere). All gone.

Obrian, Hannan, Duryea, crozier (haven't been great)

Trealor and Keith I guess have been good when healthy.
You forgot to mention his picks McComb Hayes Scott

You forgot to mention his picks McComb Hayes Scott
You're right.

Still undecided on Scott. But Hayes wasn't great.

I understand people's responses to Duyrea and Crozier. I like Crozier but he's out of the side more than he's in, Duyrea has missed alot of footy too.

You're right.

Still undecided on Scott. But Hayes wasn't great.

I understand people's responses to Duyrea and Crozier. I like Crozier but he's out of the side more than he's in, Duyrea has missed alot of footy too.
I have absolutely no issues with Scott. He’s not a world beater but he has AFL ability and definitely deserves his spot on the side. He’s not an unskilled plodder like McComb & Hayes (fit but still a plodder).

We need to try something different because the ease of the 5 goals with 17 possessions is infuriating. It’s not just losing the clearance, I can live with the Dees getting a 50/50 clearance via a quick kick that just floats into the 50. What happens to us though is a burst clearance, followed by a handball receive which means a Dees player is streaming at full pace from 60-65m and getting the ball into dangerous areas close to goal.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no issues with Scott. He’s not a world beater but he has AFL ability and definitely deserves his spot on the side. He’s not an unskilled plodder like McComb & Hayes (fit but still a plodder).

I like Scott and he’s the type of high floor/low ceiling player that is perfect for the bottom 6 in a side. The unfortunate thing is he’s already 28 and we should be getting what he provides from someone in the 21-23 age bracket that has a few pre-seasons under their belt and still has scope to significantly raise their ceiling.

That’s part of the opportunity cost in recruiting/playing mature role players like Scott, McComb and Hannan.

I like Scott and he’s the type of high floor/low ceiling player that is perfect for the bottom 6 in a side. The unfortunate thing is he’s already 28 and we should be getting what he provides from someone in the 21-23 age bracket that has a few pre-seasons under their belt and still has scope to significantly raise their ceiling.

That’s part of the opportunity cost in recruiting/playing mature role players like Scott, McComb and Hannan.
The problem is that unless they are top 20 picks (like Bailey Smith) most of those players need 2-3 seasons to be hardened senior players. Examples are West, Garcia, Jones, Cleary, Bedendo etc. So you have to carry them as senior list players who spend most of those 2-3 developmental years in the VFL.

It means that sometimes you have to dip into the smallish pool of AFL-ready players who got overlooked or were late bloomers. Like Scott, Sullivan, Roarke, Hayes, McComb, Gowers, etc.

They don’t all succeed long term of course but for a rookie pick or late ND pick it is worth the punt.

And if our draft gurus are doing a good job we should soon see West, Bedendo, Cleary etc taking their spots.

Just read this on the SEN website ,
"Lewis Young. Since the bye last year, he’s number two for intercept possessions.”

“Only Sam Taylor is ahead of him and he was an All-Australian last year. Something to keep an eye on."

Another reason this coach is a spud.

it’s been done to death but the mishandling of Young and Lipinski is killing us.

Can’t hit a target inside 50 to save ourselves. Very few young mids outside Baz who cant kick.

Way too old KPD stocks, no intercept game.

Both of them would be very handy right now. Especially Lipinski. The club totally misread the room. The only young mids we have that we can bring in, Garcia and West, also cant really hit targets.

Keath is cooked, Jones is old. I’d rather be playing Young than Bruce.

Meanwhile we’ve dropped Hannan for form twice ever and played McComb 16 games or whatever it was.

Hindsight is wonderful but they have to predict where the team and game are headed. And I know we made offers to both young and lipinski - but come on, that’s basic negotiating/leverage. We had no intentions of playing either.

I don’t think the club is capable of wrestling control back from Bev to let the bakers bake. I’d be happy to keep Bev if they could, unfortunately I think this all probably ends badly.

it’s been done to death but the mishandling of Young and Lipinski is killing us.

Can’t hit a target inside 50 to save ourselves. Very few young mids outside Baz who cant kick.

Way too old KPD stocks, no intercept game.

Both of them would be very handy right now. Especially Lipinski. The club totally misread the room. The only young mids we have that we can bring in, Garcia and West, also cant really hit targets.

Keath is cooked, Jones is old. I’d rather be playing Young than Bruce.

Meanwhile we’ve dropped Hannan for form twice ever and played McComb 16 games or whatever it was.

Hindsight is wonderful but they have to predict where the team and game are headed. And I know we made offers to both young and lipinski - but come on, that’s basic negotiating/leverage. We had no intentions of playing either.

I don’t think the club is capable of wrestling control back from Bev to let the bakers bake. I’d be happy to keep Bev if they could, unfortunately I think this all probably ends badly.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing mate.

We stuffed up Young, absolutely. Complete mismanagement.

Regarding Lipinski - we are lacking two way runners at the moment and effort to defend - Lipinski turns to water when it is hot and isn’t the answer in that regard. We also had way too many mids at the time and couldn’t predict Dunkley leaving. I don’t begrudge the club for losing Lipinski. Mids are also easier to find.

Just read this on the SEN website ,
"Lewis Young. Since the bye last year, he’s number two for intercept possessions.”

“Only Sam Taylor is ahead of him and he was an All-Australian last year. Something to keep an eye on."

Another reason this coach is a spud.
Why couldn't Young show much of that with us? Had a great debut from memory then barely played again for the next two years. Frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, OK, Hannan - lets discuss

Jake Lever8700211749000484

Lever got 21 posessions, 9 marks and gained 484 meters

Mitch Hannan2000633120070

Hannan got 6 disposals, 1 mark and gained 70 meters

rewind the game and Hannan plays a hard tag on Lever - follows him from to and from the bench and is shoulder to shoulder with him for the entire game? In my book he probably gets more posessions as Lever leads him to the ball and Levers output is at least halved.

am I crazy?

Last edited:
Why couldn't Young show much of that with us? Had a great debut from memory then barely played again for the next two years. Frustrating.

Because Bevo played him forward and then in the ruck then back forward then ruck again.

Because the coach kept dropping him, even when he played ok. But kept pumping games into Gardner and Cordy.
Gardner in my opinion has become serviceable, but Cordy had been a liability for years.

Well, OK, Hannan - lets discuss

Jake Lever8700211749000484

Lever got 21 posessions, 9 marks and gained 484 meters

Mitch Hannan2000633120070

Hannan got 6 disposals, 1 mark and gained 70 meters

rewind the game and Hannan plays a hard tag on Lever - follows him from to and from the bench and is shoulder to shoulder with him for the entire game? In my book he probably gets more posessions as Lever leads him to the ball and Levers output is at least halved.

am I crazy?
Mate if he plays a hard tag on Lever it means our awesome zone defence breaks down apparently.

Because the coach kept dropping him, even when he played ok. But kept pumping games into Gardner and Cordy.
Gardner in my opinion has become serviceable, but Cordy had been a liability for years.

Cordy did the defensive basics and was generally reliable, but imo he wasn’t a good enough defender to offset that he didn’t bring nearly enough to the table as an interceptor, third man up or offensive option, which has almost been a non-negotiable for KPDs for years. Cordy’s CM numbers for a key defender were terrible. I think Young always showed far more potential in those areas, while not quite being as reliable as Cordy in some of the defensive/positioning stuff.

Ultimately it was a judgment call for Bev based on what he valued more. Personally I thought Young stood up well in the 2021 finals as a ruckman, and think he would have been equally effective in defence (albeit in a different way) had he been given Cordy’s opportunities from 2020. The Young/Gardner pairing made more sense for modern footy than Cordy/Gardner. But the ship has sailed and we can’t keep rehashing it.

Hopefully Busslinger exhibits the traits that Bev values and can earn himself a a spot in the 23 from next year.

Rocked up in pretty poor condition more than once.
Some players need a change of scenery to reach their potential.

What it actually means is we play 2v1 on lever and run a 5 man fwd line against a 6 man defence.

How do you think that will play out?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought we already played a 5 man forward line and had the extra playing midfield.

How is it 2 on 1? Lever doesnt want an opponent.

Fwd line players don’t decide who they match up on. That’s the role of the defending team.

Lever matches up on Marra like he did on Saturday night. If we want to then run a tag on him with Hannan, then it creates a
2v1.

It can then change if a loose (Lever) is created from a wing or mid dropping back, but they can still action by Lever going to player X (Marra), along with his hard tag, creating another 2v1.

This is why you never see defenders get tagged. They can be made to be more accountable by their opponent (Marra), but it can take the fwd out of the game. Something we obviously didn’t want to do on Saturday night.

Anytime you try to tag a defender, the opposing team will always look to create the 2v1. If they don’t, they’d have rocks in their heads.

More accountable - Yes.
Hard tag - No.

Yes you’re right. Lever doesn’t want an opponent. But if he’s getting tagged, he’ll just create a 2v1 and free up a teammate as the spare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back