Free Agency Luke Dahlhaus [joins Geelong as an Unrestricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong were playing Scott Selwood up forward to try and generate forward pressure. And it’s not as if he was an amazing goal kicker. Geelong know exactly what they are getting with him, and if he gets a couple of goals here and there awesome

Motlop's deal was apparently around $500k, whilst Dahlhaus is apparently around $450k, hence the difference. Though the AFL should make its formula available to clubs, they are probably worried about teams manipulating it which is fair, but we need some open transparency to hold the AFL accountable in circumstances which may be questionable otherwise and make sure some clubs didn't get over compensated and others under.
Or maybe just scrap compo all together eventually...

I don't mind it, we benefit from it this time. Else we'd get no pick to use on West. I think its the formula, not the compensation itself that's the issue

I don't mind it, we benefit from it this time. Else we'd get no pick to use on West. I think its the formula, not the compensation itself that's the issue
I'm happy for it to be scrapped as long as clubs have some power over players again because at the moment players have far too much power imo.

Look at Gold Coast, Brisbane and Carlton get reamed by trade/FA regularly over the last 5 years for example and most of the time they've had dross, more draft picks who're not ready or untested types who couldn't get a go beforehand who may or may not make it coming in to replace players in their prime or entering their prime far too often, end result they stay at the bottom. If Gold Coast lose their bookends in one hit this trade period then they'll be absolutely stuffed for years, like what Sydney were in the late 80s and half of the 90s imo, sure they'll be compensated for, but they'll be in for another 5 year rebuild and questions will be continued to be asked about their long-term health in the game.

Once upon a time the PSD was a great threat used by lowly clubs who were struggling to get deals done for uncontracted types. I'd like to see this tactic used again somehow if my next thought doesn't eventuate and the powers above keep a similar flawed system in place.

I think there should be some transparent process with players entering their last year of their contract similarly to what the NRL has, we see free agents announce moves inseason in that code and no one cares as it's part of their game. I don't exactly know their trade + FA rules, but it seems anyone in their last year are allowed to speak to anyone so this could open up dialogue for clubs potentially losing a player and would give them ample time to look at getting a replacement, be it trade, draft, FA etc

Good get for the Cats, great player when going, fills the Kelly void straight away. He will be hungry to prove people wrong, I think he'll be hungry.
Kelly has Dahlhaus covered in spades as a midfielder to be fair. I think he will be used as the pressure/goal sneak type forward more with some stints in the midfield. Geelong still with a big hole in the middle if Kelly leaves

Dead against that.
The comp isn’t strong enough to allow the bottoms sides no compensation for losing a good player.

Dead against that.
The comp isn’t strong enough to allow the bottoms sides no compensation for losing a good player.
You wouldn't implement straight away, it'd need to be phased in in time and the whole trade/FA rules would need to change so certain clubs (like the QLD sides for example) won't be losing out regularly and would have a certain amount of power over moves.

Players have far too much power in the current climate imo.

Kelly has Dahlhaus covered in spades as a midfielder to be fair. I think he will be used as the pressure/goal sneak type forward more with some stints in the midfield. Geelong still with a big hole in the middle if Kelly leaves
Not really. One player regressed/stagnated being pushed out by Kelly’s arrival. Duncan.
Then there’s Constable averaging around 25 touches a game in the reserves who could benefit from games also. We’ll manage if he departs.

You wouldn't implement straight away, it'd need to be phased in in time and the whole trade/FA rules would need to change so certain clubs (like the QLD sides for example) won't be losing out regularly and would have a certain amount of power over moves.

Players have far too much power in the current climate imo.
Won’t happen.

AFLPA won’t allow it. It’s a USA based ideology but they earn millions and that’s vastly more than our players, especially given clubs are less likely to forcibly trade a star than they are a lesser paid player.

I don’t begrudge Kelly leaving, he has a good reason to do so but imagine if we can forcibly trade players and the suns offer up pick 3. He’s on the Gold Coast with 3 young kids and a partner still distressed she’s not home.

You’re right that players have too much power but forced trading won’t come in. The AFLPA won’t let it. Without that we cannot remove compensation as the low clubs rely on it to replace stars as they can’t lure them themselves.

Not really. One player regressed/stagnated being pushed out by Kelly’s arrival. Duncan.
Then there’s Constable averaging around 25 touches a game in the reserves who could benefit from games also. We’ll manage if he departs.

I rate Constable massively. The kid will be a gun. He’ll end up the steal of his draft class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You got Band 3 compo. An extra pick where your 2nd rounder would be, not end of first round.

Similar deal to Motlop, but different compo. Good old AFL "secret formula" compo...
Different deal to Motlop hence the different compo. I tried to tell some of you blokes a few days ago but you simply refused to listen.

Is anyone really concerned about midfield?

- Parfitt is ready for more time.
- Dahlhaus can pinch hit
- Duncan and Menegola were under utilised in Mid
- Constable is looking promising
- Guthrie can be used in midfield

Losing good players is the concern of which Kelly is brilliant but we need forwards and speed/quality on the outside. Mid depth is fine, a little too deep even to the point where it’s a little detrimental to other areas of the field.

- Dahlhaus can pinch hit

Losing good players is the concern of which Kelly is brilliant but we need forwards and speed/quality on the outside. Mid depth is fine, a little too deep even to the point where it’s a little detrimental to other areas of the field.
I wish some club would take Guthrie

Well yeah, I'm offering my opinion of Dahlhaus' worth, and haven't been claiming otherwise. In a market where "best player = highest paid", I'm not sure that Dahlhaus is on the lower end of the top 60-70 players in the league, therefore I don't think he should be paid like he is an elite superstar. Some clubs can and will offer him superstar money though, so IMO the Bulldogs should only pay so much to keep him, and not panic and overpay out of fear of losing a "homegrown" talent.

Surely it's obvious that there's probably going to be a difference between objective worth and the final pay cheque, due to some clubs' ability and willingness to pay more. That's what half the trade and free agency discussions on here are about, after all.

Personally, I think he was elite a few seasons ago when he was getting 30+ possessions every week and helped to win a premiership for it. Nobody expected the Bulldogs to win the flag then so any suggestions on how they won it if Dahlhous wasn't one of their 'elite' back then? I think that a change of teams would rejuvenate Dahlaus' enthusiasm for the game and he should return to some good form and reward The Cats for their belief in him. $500k a season is a pretty good deal for The Cats to pay so I think it a win/win.

Personally, I think he was elite a few seasons ago when he was getting 30+ possessions every week and helped to win a premiership for it. Nobody expected the Bulldogs to win the flag then so any suggestions on how they won it if Dahlhous wasn't one of their 'elite' back then? I think that a change of teams would rejuvenate Dahlaus' enthusiasm for the game and he should return to some good form and reward The Cats for their belief in him. $500k a season is a pretty good deal for The Cats to pay so I think it a win/win.

I'd say his best year individually was probably 2015. He was still good in 2016, but he wasn't "elite" from a league-wide perspective, as the Bulldogs had a pretty even spread that year. He's declined since then, and was pretty mediocre (compared to the standards he'd set 2-3 years earlier) in 2018.

I'm skeptical whether he'll get the midfield time at Geelong to return to 2015-2016 form, but we'll see. $500K seems like a reasonable deal. I was moreso arguing against the discussion earlier in the year that some club might throw $700-$800K at him, which looked steep at the time, and with the benefit of hindsight after the 2018 season, would be outright ludicrous now.

Dead against that.

If there was no compo the dogs would have made an effort to keep Dahlhaus.

I don't think it is a benefit for bottom 8 sides to bleed solid best 22 players like Dahlhaus even if it is for reasonable compo.

Having no compo would be like saving them from their selves.

I'd say his best year individually was probably 2015. He was still good in 2016, but he wasn't "elite" from a league-wide perspective, as the Bulldogs had a pretty even spread that year. He's declined since then, and was pretty mediocre (compared to the standards he'd set 2-3 years earlier) in 2018.

I'm skeptical whether he'll get the midfield time at Geelong to return to 2015-2016 form, but we'll see. $500K seems like a reasonable deal. I was moreso arguing against the discussion earlier in the year that some club might throw $700-$800K at him, which looked steep at the time, and with the benefit of hindsight after the 2018 season, would be outright ludicrous now.

I'm not gonna debate his decline in form since the Dogs drought-breaking premiership season but my query is whether that has more to do with enthusiasm and attitude(not just his), than a physical decline since then. That is why I believe that a change of environment could be a win for all parties involved.

I'm not gonna debate his decline in form since the Dogs drought-breaking premiership season but my query is whether that has more to do with enthusiasm and attitude(not just his), than a physical decline since then. That is why I believe that a change of environment could be a win for all parties involved.

I'd say that's fair enough. As I indicated, I'm skeptical as to whether the opportunity will be there for him at Geelong to reach that peak form again, but it's foreseeable that a new environment could give him a new lease on life as a footballer. It's not like he's had major debilitating injuries recently, moreso little nigglers than probably chip away at already-dwindling attitude/confidence.

To my points earlier in the year, I don't think he ever was or ever will be what we would think of as an $800K/year-type player, though.

I'd say that's fair enough. As I indicated, I'm skeptical as to whether the opportunity will be there for him at Geelong to reach that peak form again, but it's foreseeable that a new environment could give him a new lease on life as a footballer. It's not like he's had major debilitating injuries recently, moreso little nigglers than probably chip away at already-dwindling attitude/confidence.

To my points earlier in the year, I don't think he ever was or ever will be what we would think of as an $800K/year-type player, though.

Geelong's main concern for last season would be the lack of pace/tackling ability in the forward line and I think that Dahlhaus would provide some of that and he'll prolly rotate with Ablett/Dangerfield between midfield and the forward line. Also if The Cats get Gary Rohan then there is more pace around the ground>>> just provides The Cats with a bit more versatility. Personally, I believe that they need a better balance in the midfield coz they got too many offensive minded mids that run forward of the ball and not enough defensive minded mids like Scott Selwood fopr when the ball comes out the back door.

Dahlhaus would be too rich to afford if he was selling himself for 800k per season

- Dahlhaus can pinch hit

The Cats need more defensive minded midfielders to relieve the pressure on injury prone Scott Selwood!

Geelong's main concern for last season would be the lack of pace/tackling ability in the forward line and I think that Dahlhaus would provide some of that and he'll prolly rotate with Ablett/Dangerfield between midfield and the forward line. Also if The Cats get Gary Rohan then there is more pace around the ground>>> just provides The Cats with a bit more versatility. Personally, I believe that they need a better balance in the midfield coz they got too many offensive minded mids that run forward of the ball and not enough defensive minded mids like Scott Selwood fopr when the ball comes out the back door.

Dahlhaus would be too rich to afford if he was selling himself for 800k per season

The notion that Dahlhaus has pace is a misnomer. He'll work himself into the ground getting to one contest after another which of course is something that you want if you intend to play him predominantly as a pressure forward. However, if you are looking for pace through the middle of the ground or indeed good foot skills I would suggest that you are in for a number of very frustrating years of watching Luke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Luke Dahlhaus [joins Geelong as an Unrestricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back