Preview "Maddie's Match" : St Kilda v Richmond - Sunday 4.40pm @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

OUT
Schneider - I have been defending him all season but he was abysmal today. Normally does enough two ways to hold his spot but gave away so many free kicks it wasnt funny.

Dunstan - Needs a spell. Just not having an impact on the contest and looks sore/tired. Give him a few weeks at Sandy to get his mojo going.

Longer - Suspended.

IN
Hickey - First cab off the rank to replace Longer.

Saunders - Has earned his chance and we need to make a call on him. Give him a few weeks in the seniors in place of Dunstan.

Templeton - Is a great kick and puts the pressure on. Needs to find more of the pill but can be a viable sub option for a couple of weeks.

Out: Longer (suspended), Riewoldt (if he isn't fit), Schnieder
In: Hickey, McCartin, ???

I'm not sure who should come in for Schnieder who has been poor recently. Murdoch has been good at VFL level, Templeton has been reasonable, maybe McKenzie although he hasn't set the world on fire for Sandy (and isn't really a like for like swap for Schiender).

Yep, they rested him for that last quarter to ensure he plays next week. He'll be in a hyperbaric chamber, etc, whatever is necessary (...well, not Essendon "whatever is necessary", but you know what I mean...).

The match is fight like Maddie. I'm sure what Maddie went through a little calf injury won't stop Nick from playing. Need some ball users but none are really putting up their hand.

Out - schneider, gilbert, ross and if longer gets suspended.

In - Delaney, templeton, mac and hickey

If he doesn't play, it doesn't mean he can't fight like maddie.

He can fight by way of talking every quarter time break, being her ambassador, educating people, that would be as hard as any on field display of courage on his part....if not harder.

I agree bigger things than footy are at play this week, he will do wonderful, in whatever role he plays on the day.

If he doesn't play, it doesn't mean he can't fight like maddie.

He can fight by way of talking every quarter time break, being her ambassador, educating people, that would be as hard as any on field display of courage on his part....if not harder.

I agree bigger things than footy are at play this week, he will do wonderful, in whatever role he plays on the day.

very true and very well said - yet, I am convinced he will play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to go against the grain here; Roo shouldn't play.

As others have said, he will be central to the game no matter what, and he honours his sister every time he takes the field, not just in one specific game. With the emotion involved the last thing he needs is be worrying about whether his body will hold up too.

The calf is an 'old man's injury', and often 3-4 weeks at a minimum. We want Roo to make 300 games - he'd finish this season one short even if he played all games - and to hang around to mentor Brucey and Paddy, but he's already missed games this year with a calf, so IMO they should be cautious with him; while he's still playing top level footy we want to make sure we don't force him and shorten what's left of his career, particularly when his game is built on his power running for which a cherry-ripe calf is fairly important.

Bring in McCartin, and give Nick 5 minutes alone with him pre-game...

Last edited:
I think roo just had a bit of tightness in the calf (well I hope) and was rested in the last qtr so he'd be right for this game.
Look at Lenny is his final year and Roo earlier this year; there's no such thing as 'just a bit of tightness' at 33...

1. Jack Riewoldt will want to play his heart out for this one.
2. Jack Riewoldt always kicks a bag against us.
3. Cameron made it look easy against our defence last week on his way to a bag.

Conclusion put your life savings on J Roo for most goals.

I really, really hope Nick is ok for this match. Even though its obviously better for my team if he doesnt play because he is such a gun, this game is bigger than football and i would hate for him to miss it.

Good luck for the game guys, i hope its a fantastic contest.

this game is a show of respect to her mighty fighting spirit so if they were planning on a minutes silence id rather have a minute standing ovation for Maddie.
Her family & friends have had a tough time mourning her passing.
Now its time to celebrate what a wonderful person she was.
Hence id rather the applause than the silence.
Just my opinion though.

If Longer is suspended, Hickey comes in.

I think Ross will probably come out. Dunstan was as good as he has been in a month - leave him in. Leave Ross out for a quicker outside players, such as Templeton or Saunders.

They must play Delaney to play on Jack. Gilbert the one out for me.

I'd also like to see McCartin next to Rooey. Membrey out and unlucky.

In: Saunders Delaney McCartin (Hickey if needed)
Out: Ross Gilbert Membrey (Longer if suspended)

Hey guys,

Should be a special match this weekend, looking forward to it. Hope Nick is right to go.....

Question on Hugh Goddard.... will he debut this week or any chance this year?

Hey guys,

Should be a special match this weekend, looking forward to it. Hope Nick is right to go.....

Question on Hugh Goddard.... will he debut this week or any chance this year?

That's a matter for the coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back