Manchester United: Where to next?

I'd imagine that Ineos would be the purchaser, controlled by Ratcliffe. Just the £2.1B of NPAT last year.
Ineos doesn't have the money to buy United.

If anyone does it'll.be a consortium. But I'm not sure Glazers want to sell. Why would you?

Ineos doesn't have the money to buy United.

If anyone does it'll.be a consortium. But I'm not sure Glazers want to sell. Why would you?
With £3.6B of EBITDA last year, they would have no problem funding the purchase of United.

Why would the Glazers sell? Now there investment has matured, it is a very low yielding asset which will only get worse. They take out circa £70m pa in dividends and directors fees, etc. Against a £5B valuation the yield is 1.4%. They could earn more in a savings account.

With £3.6B of EBITDA last year, they would have no problem funding the purchase of United.

Why would the Glazers sell? Now there investment has matured, it is a very low yielding asset which will only get worse. They take out circa £70m pa in dividends and directors fees, etc. Against a £5B valuation the yield is 1.4%. They could earn more in a savings account.
They would have no problem, as long as they were happy to forget about their core operations and investments and throw everything the company has into to the purchase of a business that will need significant investment after its bought.

I'm not saying Ratcliffe isn't interested, but he won't be doing it by himself. And judging by his Chelsea amateur dramatics, I'd be wary of taking his interest too seriously in the first place.

Time will tell I guess.

They would have no problem, as long as they were happy to forget about their core operations and investments and throw everything the company has into to the purchase of a business that will need significant investment after its bought.

I'm not saying Ratcliffe isn't interested, but he won't be doing it by himself. And judging by his Chelsea amateur dramatics, I'd be wary of taking his interest too seriously in the first place.

Time will tell I guess.
They own quite a few sports teams as it is and it hasn't affected their core operations.

They own quite a few sports teams as it is and it hasn't affected their core operations.
Any costing £6bn plus stadium redevelopment/squad rebuild etc etc?

Any costing £6bn plus stadium redevelopment/squad rebuild etc etc?
Who is talking about £6B? You should know more than anyone that owning multiple businesses is about employing the right people. Worked out well at Mercedes and his other ventures.

Surely they are just waiting for a buyer with endless pockets to make them an offer they cant refuse. Ie 50% or more than market value.

Do you think there's a chance that a sportswashing ownership group could buy Utd? No reason why the Qataris couldn't although there will be problems with common ownership in CL competition which can easily be circumvented with some creative paperwork.

Who is talking about £6B? You should know more than anyone that owning multiple businesses is about employing the right people. Worked out well at Mercedes and his other ventures.
£6bn is the price being widely reported it would take for the Glazers to sell.

I wouldn't have thought you'd have to look too far to find examples of spending lots of money not being the guarantee of success you might hope for.

Who wins in France. Scotland. Italy. Germany. Etc?

The underdogs every season? It's not a massive shock citys billion dollars squad/investments is pretty good at football

As the AFL's Manchester United, Essendon remains an off-field powerhouse, this year registering a record-high membership and a commercial cut-through that resonates with the best clubs. But its lack of on-field success since the departure of coach Kevin Sheedy (it has been 18 years since they won a final), has left them middle of the road on the most important markers.”

Kill me now.

Surely they are just waiting for a buyer with endless pockets to make them an offer they cant refuse. Ie 50% or more than market value.

Do you think there's a chance that a sportswashing ownership group could buy Utd? No reason why the Qataris couldn't although there will be problems with common ownership in CL competition which can easily be circumvented with some creative paperwork.
Of course there is.

Who wins in France. Scotland. Italy. Germany. Etc?

The underdogs every season? It's not a massive shock citys billion dollars squad/investments is pretty good at football
Cool story.

Someone worth following re potential United sale.

Former City CFO, ran rings around the media on our FFP case, and generally spot on with football finance stuff.

Disclaimer, he was well out on the Chelsea sale.

Back