Manchester United: Where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuchel is s**t. He fluked a CL with Chelsea - he had only been there 5 months and he won a league with Bayern only because Dortmund collapsed. his record is nothing outside that.

Bit of an over simplification, don't you think?

As Chef has mentioned, you can't fluke a Champions League win. Nor do honeymoon periods/new coach bounces stretch so long. Tuchel is an excellent cup manager, that should not be up for debate.

Bayern have been trending downward for a long time now. I don't think this is a reflection on the quality of Tuchel, or Nagelsmann before him. Bayern's problem is much bigger than that. I look at Tuchel dragging what is a fairly poor Bayern side (by their lofty standards) to the Champions League semi finals as a huge achievement TBH.

And anyone who causes further destabilisation is the last thing United need.

But I do agree with this sentiment. If United go for a proper rebuild project then Tuchel is not the right profile for that role.

Not afraid that the roof at OT will collapse and kill a few thousand supporters, but happy to cancel an end of season dinner because it might distract the players a bit too much.
That roof won't collapse. Gutters are designed for a specific rainfall, that was over it. The storm hit Dublin not long before that and there was minor flash flooding, although in the north so it wasn't near me. In fact it didn't rain until after the OT game for us.

That roof won't collapse. Gutters are designed for a specific rainfall, that was over it. The storm hit Dublin not long before that and there was minor flash flooding, although in the north so it wasn't near me. In fact it didn't rain until after the OT game for us.

I appreciate your expertise on the matter. Would read again.

For Tuchel to work you need to have a decent squad already, United are just about to gut the place aren't they?

Plus he's a sugar hit manager for a season or 2. You guys need to be thinking long term.

Bayern have been struggling to find a replacement for Tuchel. They might do a U-turn and keep him on for another season.

United's squad is shocking. There's probably as many players they need to clear out as keep on. But the football department is still in a state of flux. Dan Ashworth hasn't been appointed yet. Ten-Hag will be sacked after the cup final regardless of the result. The new manager will want a say in the transfers. If it's Southgate he's not available until after the Euros (14 July). United play Arsenal in a preseason game on 27 July with the season proper starting 17 August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything for the first 36 seconds sounded like ETH will stay with the right environment.

And then the follow up question at :37 happened and yeah, he’s totally gone. 😂

The problem with sacking him is will you end up with anyone better?

The market is pretty trash atm the moment. Look at Pool(Slot), Bayern(probs Kompany), Us(probs McKenna) etc all pretty meh. Not a great time to be looking.

Who would you want?

The market is pretty trash atm the moment. Look at Pool(Slot), Bayern(probs Kompany), Us(probs McKenna) etc all pretty meh. Not a great time to be looking.

Who would you want?

The options aren’t that great as you said. I couldn’t name one manager I would absolutely want.

de Zerbi and Poch are probably the biggest ones available right now and I don’t think I would want either. Amorim? Maybe an option.

Who would you want?

It’s pretty clear Ten Hag isn’t the guy though. Surely United fans would rather take a punt with a Pochettino or De Zerbi (who I think are both better) rather than stick with what isn’t working.

It’s pretty clear Ten Hag isn’t the guy though. Surely United fans would rather take a punt with a Pochettino or De Zerbi (who I think are both better) rather than stick with what isn’t working.
I guess those two guys have both chosen to leave clubs that are being run by sporting directors, as they want to be calling the shots themselves.

Sounds like United is heading down that path too, seems the wrong picks imo.

I guess those two guys have both chosen to leave clubs that are being run by sporting directors, as they want to be calling the shots themselves.

Sounds like United is heading down that path too, seems the wrong picks imo.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. Nearly all clubs have sporting directors these days, you’re not really giving yourself any options if you don’t want to work with one.

I think for De Zerbi in particular it was just the right time to move on and see if he can go to the next level. Brighton aren’t going to change their model for him and nor should they, but there was not much more he could do.

The options aren’t that great as you said. I couldn’t name one manager I would absolutely want.

de Zerbi and Poch are probably the biggest ones available right now and I don’t think I would want either. Amorim? Maybe an option.

Amorim wants total control right from the start. We passed on him pretty quickly because of that reason. For me a manager needs to earn the right to have more power over the entire footballing department. Nothing worse than letting someone like Amorim come in, go spend a bucketload on the players he wants only for him to fail and pass on a bloated squad to a new manager in order to pick up the pieces.

RDZ and Poch make sense for Utd. Added bonus for SJR is they are unemployed and won't require a compo payout to their former club.

I think giving ETH a chance under a completely overhauled structure at the club is fair tbh, the place has been rotten for years no manager would thrive in that environment. Poch & De Zerbi are no better than ETH it’d be making a sideways move.

With no real standout candidate I think sticking with ETH for atleast 1 more year looks the best option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back