Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

0d30c789850946303625e6ca667826e3adb9cac217a01cf408d173e55d4c3041.jpg

Very happy with the way we are playing but it's clear he's not interested in continuing next year. Quite happy to have a fresh Hird come in and continue the good work.

I know there's been variants of this thread but it's nagging on my mind and I hope it's allowed to stay open. I also know I risk copping abuse for this blasphemy; but as an life long Essendon fan I stand by the following opinions.

The question is obvious in the poll, I'm going to follow up here with my opinion.

Why, ignoring the contracts in place and speaking theoretically, why on earth is Bomber Thompson not everyone's number one wish as head coach for 2015? Why are we clamouring for Hird to come back and risk seeing Bomber leave the club?

It's early on and who knows how the form line will look in a month or two. But go and watch clips of Bomber from the game or presser tonight. He's PUMPED. Here's a guy who wasn't sure if he wanted to six months ago, who wasn't sure he could do it a week ago, and here he is speaking with passion about how happy and excited he is to see the players grow so quickly, to blood young guys, and most significantly, speaking like a man who intends to see this through to a premiership. That presser wasn't the "oh I'm only here for a year" type he's given pre-season. He spoke like a man in love with the idea he's going to take his team all the way for the foreseeable future.

What exactly are we doing here? Why does our football club go out and play every week? Because we want to win the premiership. We have the man who moulded the greatest side of the modern era (and arguably of all time) as our coach. Could Hird be better in five years? Possibly. But right now Bomber Thompson is a better coach than James Hird. And he will be for a few years yet. Why is Hird not coming back as the assistant to learn from Bomber?

Who is going to take us to the flag first? The dual premiership coach who spoke with passion at the presser, or the guy off studying in France on a quasi-family holiday? What are we doing here? Seriously? Why would you not keep the guy who's better now, and let him train the guy who'll be better later? Why are we doing this in reverse?

I dunno, I'm still coming down from the game, I'm half cut, but Jesus, I don't CARE how great a player James Hird was. I don't CARE how great a coach he might be. Right NOW, Mark Thompson is the guy with the brains, credentials and passion to take this club To a flag; James Hird is the guy who should be following his lead.

We play to win premierships, and right now, I firmly believe Mark Thompson is the man to take us there, and I think it would be an absolute travesty to allow him to walk away at season's end and take all his coaching prowess to (likely) North Melbourne. And I can't see why anyone with the best interest of the club at heart would want that either.

Dude.

I'm half cut and typing on my phone, and you snuck this thread in while I typed my utter babble.

I'm sure a mod will merge the threads, because your opinion is exactly the same as mine. Vote 1 Bomber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let him go. He's there to help the club out after all the s**t of 2012, which he was unfortunately a part of.

Bomber has had his time with Geelong and he honestly looks like he wants to stay away from being a long term coach.

Threads like these just put pressure on Hird, Bomber and the club.

Be grateful that he's stood up for the year and let him go. Club should be sick of trying to hold onto things that aren't there, and after this year he will not be there, as head coach at least. So move on.

I can't be ****ed reading another longer than two sentences but yes I would love it but no, it won't happen.

Just for the opinion pieces, I think James can coach.

Foil hat stuff, Bomba gets approached by North. That would be the smartest move by Brayshaw since he left SAFM for MMM Melbourne.

I think Hird is going to be a very good coach.

Oh and it is easy to forget in the hysteria.. but we were a pretty good footy team last year too...

In fact Hird had a better winning record after two rounds last year than Bomba does this year... just saying ;)

I have no doubt that Hird can coach and as Bomba himself said "this is Hird's team".. the tweaks being made this year.. were always in the plan and it is a plan that I think both Hird and Thompson worked on together.

Maybe if Hird was coaching we wouldn't have lost.. I seem to recall a couple of close ones last year that we were on the other side of the coin.... :)

Let's just appreciate, in amongst all the s**t that has been the last 14 months, that we have in Bomber Thompson, a club legend who is still passionate about helping us get back to where we want to be AND a damn good coach too. You can see from his success at Geelong that he is good at the mentoring role, which is a perfect fit for EFC in 2014, with a young list to develop, as well as a young coach in Hird who came in cold with no previous coaching experience.

Thanks Bomber :thumbsu:

nah Hird back next year as planned and let Bomber just enjoy his final year of coaching

Let's just appreciate, in amongst all the s**t that has been the last 14 months, that we have in Bomber Thompson, a club legend who is still passionate about helping us get back to where we want to be AND a damn good coach too. You can see from his success at Geelong that he is good at the mentoring role, which is a perfect fit for EFC in 2014, with a young list to develop, as well as a young coach in Hird who came in cold with no previous coaching experience.

Thanks Bomber :thumbsu:

The way he's talking though, with the focus on how he develops people ect ect, I really want him to stay on one more year as head coach. I would like Hird to be the assistant coach with no particular line duties and really be able to get around the club without having to do the media duties nor having the buck stop with him. Don't forget that we still have Neil Craig managing the coaches above that too. Then Bomber can swap roles and will actually be more effective after having this year and next to build his line of communication with the players.

I still want Hird long term as last year showed he is a fantastic motivator of men and the players love him. I just think that after all the controversy he's got a year off and is doing general business management studies, but a year working underneath perhaps the best coach of the modern era will be the cream on the cake. It also means that if we're lucky enough to have Bomber stick around for one more year and mentor Hird again then his advice will be more obvious as Hird has watched Bomber actually make the calls for a season. I would also like Hird to get involved in coaching the VFL boys a fair bit.

I also would love to see Hird spend more time in the medical room and with the recruiting department. Basically studying the whole footy department. In my eyes this will lead to Essendon being what Malthouse nearly got going at Collingwood and what is going at Geelong and Sydney. A system club that continually finds kids to play a certain role in the club and really develops people. I think Sydney have gotten away from that with the recruitment of Buddy. I also think we can learn a lot from the way Hawthorn develop certain sorts of players. Hill, Suckling and Bruest are not footballers who jump out at you as super brilliant but boy were they important for them last night.

This thread is in no way a crack at Hird. It is recognition as what a legend Thompson is and that easing Hird back into it will make him a better coach in the long run. That Thompson is perfect to manage a team that has a core of players that are peaking with a handful of kids to introduce and that Hird will be perfect to inspire the list at the back end of that while Thompson pulls back a bit and works on helping with the list mangagment strategy of constant renewal as Chappy retires and Watson, Winderlich and Goddard are in the very back end of their careers. We will also have Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle peaking through this stage so some smart recruiting and development for KPPs to provide depth at first and replacement down the track.

The thing I like about Bomber is that he knows a situation or dilemma when he sees it, he's seen it before, he knows, by instinct, what's happening and knows from the back of his hand how to cut the crap and cut to the chase. That is experience, it's something that enables him to be straight forward and quick to do it.

Ultimately the players realise this too, and believe it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back