Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bill Stranger (1897)
Keith Batchelor (1952 Grand Final)
Len Thompson (1965)
Graeme Dunstan (1972)
Noel Lovell (1981)

5 Collingwood players have made their debut in a final (32 from all clubs).

Rene Kink didn't debut in a final.

I stand corrected on Rene Kink. It was his fourth game after playing the last three home and away games. Youngest finalist ever at age 16. Kicked 3 in a losing PF side.

Re René Kink correct.

His 4th game was a final.

Only for those with ancient memories he wore 45 in that season (1973) before moving to his famous 36 the next season.
I think the fact that he was still only 16 when he played that final might stay in people's minds, but it was indeed his fourth game.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on Rene Kink. It was his fourth game after playing the last three home and away games. Youngest finalist ever at age 16. Kicked 3 in a losing PF side.
Len Fitzgerald is another Collingwood player who played finals at just 16 (16y 131d), and he was younger than Kink was when he played his first final (16y 304d). Fitzgerald should be our youngest ever finals player.

Here's the names of the players who debuted at 15 and 16 for us:

I think the fact that he was still only 16 when he played that final might stay in people's minds, but it was indeed his fourth game.

I just looked up and had forgotten this other gem about Rene Kink

As we all know he played in one GF draw and five GF losses including one for Essendon. But I’d forgotten that in 1983 when he played in the Bombers huge loss to Hawthorn..... that he started the season and played the first nine games at Collingwood!!!!!!!

Not sure how many players have switched clubs midseason and played in a GF the same year. Gotta be an exclusive club although maybe it happened a bit in the early part of the 20th century

I just looked up and had forgotten this other gem about Rene Kink

As we all know he played in one GF draw and five GF losses including one for Essendon. But I’d forgotten that in 1983 when he played in the Bombers huge loss to Hawthorn..... that he started the season and played the first nine games at Collingwood!!!!!!!

Not sure how many players have switched clubs midseason and played in a GF the same year. Gotta be an exclusive club although maybe it happened a bit in the early part of the 20th century
It's an extraordinary record, that's for sure! He didn't have a lot of luck with the Grand Finals!

I have a list of 246 players who played for two clubs in one season (3 of those players made a mid-season move a second time), and Kink appears to be the most recent to move and play in a GF that year.

Brent Crosswell crossed from Carlton to North Melbourne in mid-1975 and played in a winning GF side.
Edit:
Allan Edwards - Richmond to Collingwood in 1979 (L).
Gareth Andrews - Geelong to Richmond in 1974 (W).
Stephen Rae - St Kilda to Richmond in 1973 (W).
Wayne Walsh - South Melbourne to Richmond in 1972 (L).

That's all I can see from the 60's onwards, but no doubt there would have been others before then. There may be others who changed clubs during the season without having played seniors that year for the first club.

Cliff McCrae - Footscray to Collingwood in 1939 (L).

Last edited:
It's an extraordinary record, that's for sure! He didn't have a lot of luck with the Grand Finals!

I have a list of 246 players who played for two clubs in one season (3 of those players made a mid-season move a second time), and Kink appears to be the most recent to move and play in a GF that year.

Brent Crosswell crossed from Carlton to North Melbourne in mid-1975 and played in a winning GF side. I'll see if I can find any others!

Used to be fairly common place during that era. Coodabeens have done a couple of series on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back