Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I was listening to Grandstand on the radio on the way to Bunnings. They were interviewing Mitch Clearly as an overview of what happened to the AFL in 2022. The first 10 minutes was exclusively Collingwood. Buddy's 1000 got mentioned afterwards, and Carlton's flop, but the Pies set the agenda for the game this year. In fact, we saved footy by getting spectators back to the game.

It wasnt only that we got so many Pie supporters back to the game, because Carlton supporters got caught up in their misplaced hype and filled their games. We also got all supporters of all the teams excited and a lot of people who usually didnt think much about the AFL.

No thanks needed or expected.

I was listening to Grandstand on the radio on the way to Bunnings. They were interviewing Mitch Clearly as an overview of what happened to the AFL in 2022. The first 10 minutes was exclusively Collingwood. Buddy's 1000 got mentioned afterwards, and Carlton's flop, but the Pies set the agenda for the game this year. In fact, we saved footy by getting spectators back to the game.

It wasnt only that we got so many Pie supporters back to the game, because Carlton supporters got caught up in their misplaced hype and filled their games. We also got all supporters of all the teams excited and a lot of people who usually didnt think much about the AFL.

And the AFL reward us with Sunday twilight.

And the AFL reward us with Sunday twilight.

I also heard on that grandstand report that Carlton is in prime time 7 times in the first half of the season.... The AFL has only got itself to blame if the world finds other things to do

The Pies save Gill the Dills television rights deal.

Now that he has the money. Gill is looking at ways not to leave. Even delaying the search for his replacement.

Strange how a suitable replacement hasn’t been announced as yet. Such an arduous task in finding another Gill the Dill.

Could he have learnt a lesson from his FIFA mate Sepp Blatter…….on prolonging your exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022 was as satisfying as it gets bar a flag. Every season you have a few re-watchable moments... well, 2022 we had about 20 of those. It was insane, and I'm glad I got to watch it live for the ride.

I'm so excited for 2023. I love this club.

2022 was as satisfying as it gets bar a flag. Every season you have a few re-watchable moments... well, 2022 we had about 20 of those. It was insane, and I'm glad I got to watch it live for the ride.

I usually say that I'm in it for the premierships but i'll make 2022 the exception. And I dont usually care how we win, as long as we win but it's no surprise that the agressive ball movement attracted opposition fans... something that we havent seen since 2011. The only scarey thing is that if we dont win a premiership in 2023 then it's going to be hard to achieve the same level of enjoyment.

Sadly our Luck Ran Out in the Final Series

I usually say that I'm in it for the premierships but i'll make 2022 the exception. And I dont usually care how we win, as long as we win but it's no surprise that the agressive ball movement attracted opposition fans... something that we havent seen since 2011. The only scarey thing is that if we dont win a premiership in 2023 then it's going to be hard to achieve the same level of enjoyment.
A few of my mates who don't normally watch football started watching a few games because they were exciting. Opposition fans or neutrals are always going to prefer aggressive football over slow, boring slogs that were seen in 2019. If ANZAC Day, Kings' Birthday and the Carlton matches are close, then fans are in for a good year. If they are blowouts, fans feel ripped off.

A few of my mates who don't normally watch football started watching a few games because they were exciting. Opposition fans or neutrals are always going to prefer aggressive football over slow, boring slogs that were seen in 2019. If ANZAC Day, Kings' Birthday and the Carlton matches are close, then fans are in for a good year. If they are blowouts, fans feel ripped off.

The rusted-on fans were always going to come back to games to see them live. I think the Pies led the way with getting the casual fan to come back. The ones in the "outer". The ones who look at the sky in the morning and decide to walk up and get a seat at the game. I think you'd find that a few trendies came to our games to see what all the excitement was all about...all this is why we saved footy.

Many of my friends and family that despise Collingwood were all barracking for us by the end of the season. Not just the way we played. They all love Craig McRae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of my friends and family that despise Collingwood were all barracking for us by the end of the season. Not just the way we played. They all love Craig McRae.

I said it last season that Craig gives very simple repetitive messages in his press conferences in contrast to what buckley used to do. I dont want to bash buckley but people like simple happy people. Hopefully, Craig wont get bored with the same old, same old....and it will be interesting to see if the media wants something more from him. Second year is always harder

Mark I have to agree. The Pies saved footy in 2022. Everyone was spellbound by our magnificent performances.
As you say year 2 will be harder although some of the new blokes like Mitchell should make it more interesting.
Hoping Nick can play alongside in the midfield. A dangerous combination with these two.
Also like to see JDG more in the midfield.

Ive been liking our brand of footy and i hope we keep it up. Should be interesting without pendles as skipper but that won't really matter i dont think.

The exciting finishes helped the president's desire to get the membership up. Although we do play a lot of games at the MCG, I think the AFL still might think that attendances can be maximised by playing other teams at the favourite times, as the Pies attract a crowd even if the game was played after midnight.

There's a chance that we might become more of a team that wins in conventional ways rather than miracles, with the addition of some taller players and tom mitchell. Winning is always going to help the membership numbers irrespective on how it is done. As a Pie's fan, I'm not really concerned about excitement, although it's a nice bonus. I just want the win so I have the feeling in a strange way that outsiders were pumped up more by the way the games were won. I know that sounds strange but the failed comebacks in the finals didnt make me feel better about the losses - they were losses plain and simple. Outsiders seemed to be more excited that the games were still exciting to watch.

So after working my way through that, I think the team is more likely to win more conventionally this year, if all the new players gel. If that happens and we make the four, I'd be happy as 2022 irrespective on how its done, although our new temporary fans might go looking for another fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back