Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It's likely Mark Keane will play all next season. The Murray injury gives him the opportunity but the continuity along with his skillset, will cement his place.

He could just be the best of our four KPDs.

Good to see him play well for you guys.
Like I wrote here before the season started he will be a big asset.
Is he showing a lot of dash and dare running out of the backline? That's what i like about him at Coll.
Still disappointed he didn't come back to us.

How former Collingwood defender Mark Keane joined Adelaide after quitting the AFL, returning to Ireland due to homesickness​

serious case of FOMO dragged Mark Keane away from the AFL.

“My mates were going out partying at home and I was here training, basically being a 30-year-old in their minds,” Keane tells this masthead.

“And they were being 18, 19, going out partying and I was thinking ‘gee, why aren’t I doing that?’”

Back in Ireland, Keane quickly reimmersed himself in local life.

“I had no intentions of coming back out,” he says.

The biggest change in 18 months was the itch Keane had to scratch was gone.

“A lot of my friends have moved on, not in college anymore, not getting that fear of missing out of being in college,” he says.

“They’ve all moved on to their own jobs and are getting on with their lives.

Chatting with an ex-Collingwood countryman, close mate Marty Clarke, got the ball rolling for his second AFL stint.

Keane thought he might have left his run too late.

It was January, club lists were presumably finalised.

But Clarke alerted him to Fischer McAsey’s retirement leaving a vacancy on Adelaide’s list.

Keane had hardly kicked a footy for 18 months.

“I had an Aussie rules ball over there but I hadn’t taken it out in so long, probably about two weeks before I got here,” he says.

Considering he had missed most of the Crows’ pre-season, his personal expectations for the year were low.

Being a sponge with his new coaches and teammates helped accelerate his progress.

“I settled in really well,” he says.

Keane is also sticking around for his first Australian Christmas.

He and the Crows agreed that his best chance at locking in a backline spot was by not going home during the festive season and instead have a good block of training.

When Keane returned from Ireland during the off-season, he had company.

Caoimhe has moved in to the place he shares with second-year Crows midfielder Hugh Bond.

“She loves being here, loves Adelaide,” he says.

How former Collingwood defender Mark Keane joined Adelaide after quitting the AFL, returning to Ireland due to homesickness​

serious case of FOMO dragged Mark Keane away from the AFL.

“My mates were going out partying at home and I was here training, basically being a 30-year-old in their minds,” Keane tells this masthead.

“And they were being 18, 19, going out partying and I was thinking ‘gee, why aren’t I doing that?’”

Back in Ireland, Keane quickly reimmersed himself in local life.

“I had no intentions of coming back out,” he says.

The biggest change in 18 months was the itch Keane had to scratch was gone.

“A lot of my friends have moved on, not in college anymore, not getting that fear of missing out of being in college,” he says.

“They’ve all moved on to their own jobs and are getting on with their lives.

Chatting with an ex-Collingwood countryman, close mate Marty Clarke, got the ball rolling for his second AFL stint.

Keane thought he might have left his run too late.

It was January, club lists were presumably finalised.

But Clarke alerted him to Fischer McAsey’s retirement leaving a vacancy on Adelaide’s list.

Keane had hardly kicked a footy for 18 months.

“I had an Aussie rules ball over there but I hadn’t taken it out in so long, probably about two weeks before I got here,” he says.

Considering he had missed most of the Crows’ pre-season, his personal expectations for the year were low.

Being a sponge with his new coaches and teammates helped accelerate his progress.

“I settled in really well,” he says.

Keane is also sticking around for his first Australian Christmas.

He and the Crows agreed that his best chance at locking in a backline spot was by not going home during the festive season and instead have a good block of training.

When Keane returned from Ireland during the off-season, he had company.

Caoimhe has moved in to the place he shares with second-year Crows midfielder Hugh Bond.

“She loves being here, loves Adelaide,” he says.

So he’s here as a direct result of McAsey’s retirement. I like the look of him so maybe we can salvage something back from that recruiting disaster after all

So he’s here as a direct result of McAsey’s retirement. I like the look of him so maybe we can salvage something back from that recruiting disaster after all

An ultra-rare example where "we could have avoided that other debacle and just gotten this guy anyway" doesn't apply!

I'm not sure how you can tell, but I hope he can minimise the turnover part of his game - how does he go lockdown? This is Butts strength. Put Butts on King and he doesn't kick 5 goals.

I'd back King to put up 5 against Butts on a good day.

Butts is ahead when it comes to the defensive arts, but really, both aren't anything special at it in this point of their respective careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd back King to put up 5 against Butts on a good day.

Butts is ahead when it comes to the defensive arts, but really, both aren't anything special at it in this point of their respective careers.
It would have to be an excellent day, it doesn't happen too often.

Max kicked 6 goals against us in 2022 - if I recall Butts didn't play that day and Doedee was on King. I'd much rather Jordy every day of the week.

It would have to be an excellent day, it doesn't happen too often.

Max kicked 6 goals against us in 2022 - if I recall Butts didn't play that day and Doedee was on King. I'd much rather Jordy every day of the week.
Butts is probably more the Talia-type, more of a shut down defender and makes minimal risks. Keane is more the dare and dash type who looks more comfortable running outside the 50m arc. I think both types are equally important for different opponents.

I remember being impressed with one of Keane’s games last season, so I’m keen to see more of him this year. I don’t think he’s far off from cementing a spot with us this year.

Butts is probably more the Talia-type, more of a shut down defender and makes minimal risks. Keane is more the dare and dash type who looks more comfortable running outside the 50m arc. I think both types are equally important for different opponents.

I remember being impressed with one of Keane’s games last season, so I’m keen to see more of him this year. I don’t think he’s far off from cementing a spot with us this year.
Agree John...
Mark Keane with 50 games under his belt could well be an excellent player for us.

I'm prepared for a few mistakes but they'll become gradually less as his experience grows. Very exciting prospect with big upside IMO.

Is there any news on the health of Mark Keane after the weekend KO?
Also, anything from the AFL yet about charges?

Lastly, does anyone think that pepper and ravioli might be worried they might have upset the maddest bastard in the AFL? Keane looks like the type who might remember those two come showdown time.
🤨💥

Is there any news on the health of Mark Keane after the weekend KO?
Also, anything from the AFL yet about charges?

Lastly, does anyone think that pepper and ravioli might be worried they might have upset the maddest bastard in the AFL? Keane looks like the type who might remember those two come showdown time.
🤨💥
Ran today and looking okay apparently

Pretty pathetic to snipe someone in a practice match.

Hope Keane is okay, will be interesting to see how he goes this year from a Collingwood POV
I saw the footage of the incident just now. I think Powell-Pepper miscalculated the bump with the fact there was an unknown momentum coming from the swinging tackle from Rioli on Keane. I think P-P will get some weeks off, but I don’t think it was obviously intentional.

I saw the footage of the incident just now. I think Powell-Pepper miscalculated the bump with the fact there was an unknown momentum coming from the swinging tackle from Rioli on Keane. I think P-P will get some weeks off, but I don’t think it was obviously intentional.
Utter crap. He had no intention of tackling instead lined him up. Stop posting *hit John Who.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back