Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they retire the cinematic character Black Panther now? HOW do you replace him and do any justice? The first comparison will be to Heath Ledger and the Joker...But the Joker was always an interpretation of the character itself, Chad was and IS the Black Panther, the first we saw personified to us as a real projection...
The fact that the title of Black Panther is passed down means it would be easy to retire his specific character and retain Black Panther for the movies. A little awkward maybe, but not insurmountable.

A little credit to Disney, I guess, he was cast for 2016’s Civil War, which would have been before his diagnosis. Given the character only played a small role in that film, it would have been easy to recast or alter the character for the solo movie once they knew given they would be planning years in advance. But they stuck by him.

Yeah, I suspect that would be their likely move. Shame they couldnt use a certain someone from the Black Panther movie.

I think they'll replace him personally because it'll be a hard sell saying how T'challa died since Endgame especially as he was resurrected in BP. And Marvel have history here (albeit not in the case of a star passing away).

Yahya Abdul Mateen II or John David Washington may be primed for it.

I think they'll replace him personally because it'll be a hard sell saying how T'challa died since Endgame especially as he was resurrected in BP. And Marvel have history here (albeit not in the case of a star passing away).

That's probable too. 2 years from now this will be ancient history and people won't really bat an eyelid at a superhero being played by someone else.

Jesus Christ.

What a human being, I don't think I could handle cancer at all, let alone film movies and front the media, all while keeping it private. Carrying that as well as the importance of BP (especially in view of current world events) would be huge.

RIP.

Yes this is the point that’s really resonated with me. To be able to ensure that whilst trying to maintain a symbolic public persona, incredible stuff. Hits me right in the feels when he puts himself out there to help children with terminal cancer. Whilst internally knowing what his outlook is.

And being able to maintain that physique and conditioning during chemotherapy/surgeries? Holy s**t.

Chemotherapy is all consuming, I struggled to even get down to footy training at the time to watch from the sidelines, I dropped to about 51kgs. Let alone the muscle mass/physique he had during Black Panther for example.

Amazing stuff. Just a quick look at the reaction of football players, NBA players etc give you an idea of what cultural impact he had to many, particularly people of colour. I’m still floored by this news.

The fact that the title of Black Panther is passed down means it would be easy to retire his specific character and retain Black Panther for the movies. A little awkward maybe, but not insurmountable.

A little credit to Disney, I guess, he was cast for 2016’s Civil War, which would have been before his diagnosis. Given the character only played a small role in that film, it would have been easy to recast or alter the character for the solo movie once they knew given they would be planning years in advance. But they stuck by him.

They weren’t even aware. Only a handful of family and close contacts knew of his condition.

They weren’t even aware. Only a handful of family and close contacts knew of his condition.

Saw that a day or two after I posted it. When Ryan Coogler said he had been writing the script for BP2 with him in mind. Given the plates in their Disney has, not sure it was fair to keep them in the dark to the very end.

Saw that a day or two after I posted it. When Ryan Coogler said he had been writing the script for BP2 with him in mind. Given the plates in their Disney has, not sure it was fair to keep them in the dark to the very end.

My view is that it is up to the individual experiencing the condition to determine what is "fair" in who they share it with or not. It really is though a very unique and almost unprecedented situation with a passing of this magnitude and the implications for an enormous franchise.

This was pretty heavy viewing when I rewatched this in the last few days. I saw it at the time it was posted, but it has a whole new meaning now knowing what he himself was battling at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong rumours that Jonathan Majors has been cast as Kang The Conqueror. For Antman 3 and perhaps also for the Loki Disney+ show.

Huge if true. Have wondered when Kang would fit into the picture, the opportunities here are far reaching. Doom, Fantastic Four, even X-Men if they go down the Rama-Tut route.

Cate Shortland, the director of the forthcoming film Black Widow, has said that Natasha Romanoff, played by Johansson, is the only character in the Avengers without superpowers. She was speaking to Total Film while promoting Black Widow alongside actress Florence Pugh.

Well Cate is obviously a life long Marvel fan with that call. Vast amount of knowledge on display there.

It's not like Black Widow doesn't spend quite a bit of time and scenes with Hawkeye...

Then there's that guy Stark.

Last edited:
Think it’s the only one of them that will sneak in before the end of 2020. Falcon and the Winter Soldier (which was due in August I recall?) has been delayed in production due to COVID and I think it also somewhat relies on Black Widow’s release as well. Both of which are pushed back to 2021.

Tatiana Maslany cast as She-Hulk.

I only saw a few eps of Orphan Black she obvously proved herself in that role to many.

I was most interested in Moon Knight for the disney plus shows but there has been no news at all on that.

They have also just hired the writers and directors for Ms Marvel so casting prob not to far away on that.

Think it’s the only one of them that will sneak in before the end of 2020. Falcon and the Winter Soldier (which was due in August I recall?) has been delayed in production due to COVID and I think it also somewhat relies on Black Widow’s release as well. Both of which are pushed back to 2021.

Interesting.

Even though BW is technically a prequel, was expecting pretty important stuff to come out post credits scenes.

Interesting.

Even though BW is technically a prequel, was expecting pretty important stuff to come out post credits scenes.

Marvel have been very tight lipped about it, been a quiet few months for them. A few of the reputable sites I follow have been saying there’s a thread from the BW film (post Civil War) that ties into the Falcon/Winter Soldier story when that show commences.

Hence their preference that BW is released prior. The original plan was for phase 4 kicking off with BW in May this year, then Falcon and the Winter Soldier in August. Obviously that’s now up in the air.

A blind person on Neptune can see she's coming back to life at the end the movie.

Wouldn’t be so sure of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back