Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

er it was a direct response to what you posted. That's the relevance.
No it wasn’t. You are questioning my social views based on terminology I used (a likely incorrect assumption by the way) which has nothing to do with a discussion on why BP got nominated for an Oscar. I wasn’t the one nominating or not nominating it. My views are irrelevant. We are discussing the views of the Oscar judging panel. not mine.

It's up to 10 but there's no obligation to nominate 10.

As a general rule, I don't think superhero movies have the necessary narrative drive to be Oscar worthy, they are far too beholden to a formula that requires them to constantly halt the storytelling for boss fights. The Dark Knight is currently the only possible exception to that, Black Panther was not that great and did not deserve a nomination, imo. It may happen one day but it would have to be a sorry year for filmmaking across the board if there was no other movie that told a better story.

For me, Black Panther was an amazing achievement in filmmaking. It doesn’t necessarily make it a great film and I understand why others wouldn’t feel that it was (a few moments in the final act were a bit confusing for me). I’d still have it in my top 5 MCU films though for what it’s worth.

In terms of production though, I absolutely appreciate it right down to the finer details of utilising Coates’ depiction of the Dora Milaje. The level of thought and care taken by Coogler and its all star cast is about as deep as I’ve seen, it’s very tangible how much it meant to them every time I hear them speak about it.

Boseman in particular embodied the role beautifully. The themes of what an African nation could be without colonisation, the way their women are viewed etc, all stands out for me. The closing scenes of T’Challa in Oakland and then the UN really did leave me wanting more of that, didn’t want the film to end.

I also greatly respected Ludwig Gorannson’s score, spending months in Africa collaborating with Baba Maal and Massamba Diop of Senegal as the base of his music. It genuinely was a film that meant a lot to the cast and crew and that reflected in the way it was received by people of colour across the world.

I have no issue whatsoever with it being recognised with a best picture nomination.

For me, Black Panther was an amazing achievement in filmmaking. It doesn’t necessarily make it a great film and I understand why others wouldn’t feel that it was (a few moments in the final act were a bit confusing for me). I’d still have it in my top 5 MCU films though for what it’s worth.

In terms of production though, I absolutely appreciate it right down to the finer details of utilising Coates’ depiction of the Dora Milaje. The level of thought and care taken by Coogler and its all star cast is about as deep as I’ve seen, it’s very tangible how much it meant to them every time I hear them speak about it.

Boseman in particular embodied the role beautifully. The themes of what an African nation could be without colonisation, the way their women are viewed etc, all stands out for me. The closing scenes of T’Challa in Oakland and then the UN really did leave me wanting more of that, didn’t want the film to end.

I also greatly respected Ludwig Gorannson’s score, spending months in Africa collaborating with Baba Maal and Massamba Diop of Senegal as the base of his music. It genuinely was a film that meant a lot to the cast and crew and that reflected in the way it was received by people of colour across the world.

I have no issue whatsoever with it being recognised with a best picture nomination.
And all your explanation here is about social factors. Not about it being a great movie.

an Oscar nominee should be about the movie making craft. Not ticking off social boxes. I’m not saying that is not important For other reasons. It’s just not relevant to what makes a great movie.

To me, those are the trappings, and they were very well done. But for an Oscar nomination, the story really has to be the heart of it and while Michael B Jordan's villain was more fleshed out than most, it was still a pretty standard superhero narrative that devolved into a (poorly CGI-d) boss fight at the end. I also thought Boseman was fine, a good fit for the character, but I wonder if his performance has been elevated following his untimely death. He embodied it as well as Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Hemsworth embody their characters.

Not sure where it fits among the overall Marvel movies, there's only been just over 20, comfortably in the top 10 but not sure about top 5.

To me, those are the trappings, and they were very well done. But for an Oscar nomination, the story really has to be the heart of it and while Michael B Jordan's villain was more fleshed out than most, it was still a pretty standard superhero narrative that devolved into a (poorly CGI-d) boss fight at the end. I also thought Boseman was fine, a good fit for the character, but I wonder if his performance has been elevated following his untimely death. He embodied it as well as Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Hemsworth embody their characters.

Not sure where it fits among the overall Marvel movies, there's only been just over 20, comfortably in the top 10 but not sure about top 5.

You’ve lost me with those comparisons to the other actors you named.

And interestingly enough, I’ve noticed a tendency to talk down his performances in the aftermath of his passing. For what it’s worth, I hold it in the same high regard as I did in 2018.

You’ve lost me with those comparisons to the other actors you named.

And interestingly enough, I’ve noticed a tendency to talk down his performances in the aftermath of his passing. For what it’s worth, I hold it in the same high regard as I did in 2018.
How so? People remark how they simply can not imagine anyone other than Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, which suggests he embodies the role pretty damn well. Similar but less so for the other two, they have become the characters. Boseman is a very fine actor, better overall than Hemsworth and Evans clearly, though Downey Jr can be phenomenal and has the Oscar to prove it. But Black Panther isn't Boseman's finest work, it's a classic example of an excellent actor raising up a character that could easily be seen as a joke...like Downey Jr.

How so? People remark how they simply can not imagine anyone other than Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, which suggests he embodies the role pretty damn well. Similar but less so for the other two, they have become the characters. Boseman is a very fine actor, better overall than Hemsworth and Evans clearly, though Downey Jr can be phenomenal and has the Oscar to prove it. But Black Panther isn't Boseman's finest work, it's a classic example of an excellent actor raising up a character that could easily be seen as a joke...like Downey Jr.

Yes that makes more sense than your earlier comment. It came across more so as a bit of a disservice to his preparation for the role which was much more unique than the others you named. Learning isiXhosa, having young black children with terminal illness writing to him saying they’re trying to stay alive long enough to be able to see the film (all whilst he was battling stage 3 and 4 cancer himself).

I get what you’re now saying. Anyway, I think the conversation has deviated further away from the original point (which I believe was about Black Panther’s nomination which I felt was more so an acknowledgement/recognition of what it achieved rather than it being a genuine contender to win the award itself).

Bit behind the times but just finished Wanda Vision and Falcon & Winter Soldier. Really liked both of them.

Without talking too deeply about the plots and giving away spoilers;

I was a bit confused by WandaVision at first but thought the way each of the first few episodes was set in different eras was quite clever in particular the big transition to the more cinematic view

Also thought Falcon & Winter Soldier was done well, just felt like a long form Marvel film. I know that the chemistry between Mackie and Stan would've been a big driver for the creation of the show but it did feel a little strange seeing Bucky be so animated compared to other films.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a tease for him in Endgame I think wasn't there?
Earthquake in the ocean off Africa's coast or something?

Yes, typical of Marvel though, he'll come.

With now Zeus and the Olympians entering the MCU it can't be long until Atlantis does.

Old mate who bangs Vergara surely.

I know he's that irrelevant guy in the DCEU but yeah.

Serious, what's the diff between Deathstroke and Deadshot ?

Taylor-Johnson is a far better actor then Mangienello.

Deathtsroke uses Swords

Deadshot uses Guns.

Deathsroke has the potential to be great Batman villian on the big screen if done right.
Thats what Afleck was going to do and if the rumours are true about the script he was going to kill several of Batmans closest allies in that.

Taylor-Johson is a far better actor then Mangienello.

Deathtsroke uses Swords

Deadshot uses Guns.

Deathsroke has the potential to be great Batman villian on the big screen if done right.
Thats what Afleck was going to do and if the rumours are true about the script he was going to kill several of Batmans closest allies in that.
I know ATJ can bulk up but not sure he's as " Alpha " as Kraven needs to be.

* Reaches for last Iced Vo-Vo *

I know ATJ can bulk up but not sure he's as " Alpha " as Kraven needs to be.

* Reaches for last Iced Vo-Vo *

Now I want a Vo-Vo havent had those in years.

I know what you mean as he isnt a huge guy but Ill back in the guy with more talent to sell it.

I was still holding out hope for kick-ass 3 lol.

I gotta hand it to sony they are putting some really talented actors in this spiderverse they are setting up.

Hardy, Leto (yeah I know the joker was bad but still talented), Keaton, ATJ and potentially Foxx and Molina.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back