Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A few nights ago I heard Rowey make mention that a failure this year will result in a mass clean out of assistant coaches rather than Nicks.

Seems like they have backed Nicks in for at least for another 12 months.

That's similar to what the Bulldogs did with Beveridge over this offseason... It feels like the last roll of the dice before they actually move on the coach.

And then say we are going to be super aggressive at the trade table which means clearly we have holes in our list.

But basically we was just talking crap to placate the masses who don’t know any better

This is what worries me about all this Petty talk.

We will do all this huff and puff talk, then get desperate and bring in Petty after paying massive overs.

The clowns will then spin in it like its a 'massive coup' just to placate the masses and apricot slice supporters.

A few nights ago I heard Rowey make mention that a failure this year will result in a mass clean out of assistant coaches rather than Nicks.

Seems like they have backed Nicks in for at least for another 12 months.

Pretty sure this has worked in the past, but I doubt it's their individual quality, it's more that they'd all be on the same page at every decision point. I doubt we'd employ any different ideas though. What's the likelihood of a potential forward coach getting a gig who says 'Murphy and McHenry' won't play in any line I coach' or a midfield coach saying, 'Laird and Crouch are too one paced and not damaging, they won't be playing in my midfield, it's trade or they play out my contract in the 2s'. We're only going to employ people that align with existent philosophies.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this has worked in the past, but I doubt it's their individual quality, it's more that they'd all be on the same page at every decision point. I doubt we'd employ any different ideas. What's the likelihood of a potential forward coach who says 'Murphy and McHenry' won't play in any line I coach' or a midfield coach saying, 'Laird and Crouch are too one paced and not damaging, they won't be playing in my midfield, it's trade or they play out my contract in the 2s'. We're only going to employ people that align with existent philosophies.
Have they ever come to the conclusion that their philosophies don't work?

Last year Nicks did say something about perhaps undervaluing talent. But I don't think it's changed his decision making in a meaningful way.

Edit - here's a version of it.

View attachment 1976113
"Give me 18 of those and we'll get a flag".

That is dreadful.

Had it not occurred to him at any point that maybe, just maybe, the talented players work hard too?

Most vibrant real estate market and tightest rental market in the country suggests there's plenty of demand and an undersupply here mate.

Given the transition to regional and remote work, I suggest you'll find that the moment people don't have to live in proximity to their employer is the same moment people make lifestyle choices that see them move away from overpriced, overcrowded cities like Melbs and Sydney. The economic crutch these places lean on currently is fast coming to an end.

You fill up your bunker full of tins, I’m sure you’ll be proven right soon! 🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced Pagan believed he could turn Carlton around. I tend to take his admission at face-value that he didn't do his due diligence in understanding just how deep the problems ran at Carlton, let alone losing all of those draft picks in the Stephen O'Reilly fiasco that he got to walk into. Malthouse is a different beast to Pagan.

I think they underestimate the resistance to change, the clandestine pockets of influence

Malthouse wanted to bin 18 players in year 1, the board said no

Blight was sabotaged by nincompoops who’d never won anything, but still thought they were right

Take Adelaide, the club, all sorts of people come ago and the culture stays the same. No matter who’s in charge

Was thinking how outrageous a comment Silvers made saying the board all believe Nicks will be our next premiership coach. They’re either backing him in for an 8-10 year tenure without a flag or see a flag among the vast majority of the current list. The latter would be some high end delusion.

Silvers is an expert in quantum physics; Nicks will be both our next premiership coach and none.

Ergo, we will never win one again

"Give me 18 of those and we'll get a flag".

That is dreadful.

Had it not occurred to him at any point that maybe, just maybe, the talented players work hard too?

But also, if the talented players aren’t working hard then it’s your job to provide the environment where they are motivated to do so.

Back