Mature age prospects 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Luke Tynan is 26 this year. He's a great player but time is against him.
My new list on Wednesday probably won't have him on it

Andrew Moore is killing it over at Box Hill.
Won't be on the list. The new list will be a lot more concise than the last, there are no more than 10 in contention from what I can gather, not including a few category b players who might get drafted. Been a really poor year in the VFL, have been disappointed with it.

I don't know about the other players, but I asked a SA friend about Walker. He pointed out he's struggling to make the Glenelg seniors side. In which case, how on earth is he a good prospect to be drafted?

Don't have to be playing Senior football necessary to be looked at? Several players first year out of u18s have been picked up playing ressies, before, so thats a false conclusion from your "friend"
You look at the person playing his position in the ones in Christian Howard arguably the best left peg the Western Bulldogs ever had, ex AFL player. Jonty Scharenberg is another who is playing in his position and he is super hot form atm, and your not dropping him- having an unreal first season at Senior level.

Walker I believe will still give an AFL club something to work with. Never said main draft but more of a rookie type.
You can argue with his kicking ability that can break lines, and some clubs need that. He is a good prospect and was last year.

Matt Panos any chance of getting another crack?
Since being delisted from the Dogs he went back to Norwood and has been transformed into a mid. Will win the Margarey Medal IMO and is still only 26. Has really worked on his efficiency and his numbers are very good

He's only played 10 games of 15 and has also went missing in about 4 of them. I think to say he will win the Margarey is a big call.
Be interesting to see though.
His time is probably up on AFL though, at 26 still young but Id say there are a few more younger SANFL mature age boys floating around that are more of a shot IMO.

Won't be on the list. The new list will be a lot more concise than the last, there are no more than 10 in contention from what I can gather, not including a few category b players who might get drafted. Been a really poor year in the VFL, have been disappointed with it.

Should be at the top of your list....Otherwise, you're not doing a very astute job.

Should be at the top of your list....Otherwise, you're not doing a very astute job.
I've been told by someone at the club that he categorically won't get drafted. Too old, too slow, kicking lacks finesse and struggled to transition from SANFL/VFL level to the higher grade. He's good, and could well help lead Box Hill to another flag, but he's not draftable.

He's only played 10 games of 15 and has also went missing in about 4 of them. I think to say he will win the Margarey is a big call.
Be interesting to see though.
His time is probably up on AFL though, at 26 still young but Id say there are a few more younger SANFL mature age boys floating around that are more of a shot IMO.
Only my opinion but Panos and Grigg would be my 2 favourites for the MM, just a matter of how many votes they take from each other. Injury may have hurt his chances but I still think he would 4 or 5 BOG's and think it will be a fairly low tally that wins it this year

Only my opinion but Panos and Grigg would be my 2 favourites for the MM, just a matter of how many votes they take from each other. Injury may have hurt his chances but I still think he would 4 or 5 BOG's and think it will be a fairly low tally that wins it this year

I agree I don't think the tally will be to high this year so you may be right. I have Panos down for 4 BOG's and 2 Games of 2nd best behind Grigg.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ten VFL players invited to test at AFL State Combine

EMERGING forwards Bayley Fritsch and Alex Boyse head the list of 10 VFL players invited to the state combine in October.

Casey Demons left-footer Fritsch has booted 28 goals this season and Essendon’s Boyse, the son of former league player Maurice, has 26.

Both were in the state squad for the representative match against the WAFL in May.

Fritsch was among the VFL’s best in a heavy loss and Boyse was an emergency.

Boyse, 191cm and a product of VAFA club St Bernard’s, is one of four VFL Bombers off to the combine.

Speedster Nick Hind, defender James Ferry and ruckman Kieran Strachan were also invited, indicating interest from AFL clubs.

Dons GM Ash Brown said it was an excellent result for the club.

“It’s a great achievement and we’re very proud of all four boys,’’ he said.

“It’s a great reflection of the work they’ve put in individually since the pre-season and have continued on to the point they’ve been recognised by AFL clubs.

“Hopefully it gives them an opportunity to realise their dreams and get on to AFL lists.

“It’s a small part of their football journey but an important one in being seen by AFL clubs and recruiters.’’

Ferry, 22, has been on the VFL scene for four years and played as a key defender for the state team this year.

Brown said he believed there was “plenty of upside’’ to Ferry, who came out of the Calder Cannons.

“If he’s in a full-time program he can dedicate a lot more time to his body and his game and hopefully go to an AFL level.’’

Strachan, 21, is a ruckman from South Bendigo, where he won two best and fairests. He joined Essendon this year.

“He’s a very exciting prospect,’’ Brown said.

“At 203cm there aren’t many players in the VFL or even state league footy in Australia who have his mobility or agility and ability to potentially play key forward.

“He’s got very good hands and he’s super competitive.

“At age 21 he was already captain of South Bendigo. That shows the character and quality of Kieran. He’s a great young person.’’

Box Hill Hawk Sam Switkowski, Collingwood’s Marty Hore, Richmond’s Derrick Smith, and Williamstown pair Brett Bewley and Josh Newman also received invitations.
Brown said Boyse, 22, had “AFL qualities’’ and Essendon was “really excited what he can potentially do at the testing day’’.

Hind, like Boyse a second-year VFL Bomber and an emergency for this year’s state team, hails from East Point in Ballarat.

“Similar to Alex, he’s kept rising to a great standard,’’ Brown said of Hind, 22.

“He provides plenty of speed and run and carry, and if AFL clubs are looking for that type of player, someone who can break lines and sort of skip a line of the defence, then Nick’s a pretty exciting prospect like that.’’

Switkowski, Bewley and Newman played for the VFL representative team this year.

Newman, Frankston’s 2016 best and fairest, is the brother of Sydney Swan Nic, who won the VFL’s Fothergill Round Medal in 2014.

Fritsch, Boyse, Switkowski and Hore are the leading contenders for this year’s Fothergill Round.

Hore, who joined Collingwood from the Bendigo Pioneers last year, has made his mark with his marking.

“He’s gone from strength to strength this year, with his ability to ready the play, aerially and with his pinpoint disposal,’’ Collingwood GM Chris Dixon said of the left-footer.

“No doubt he’s turning some heads. He’s really suited to that third defender role with his intercept marking.

“His judgment of the ball in the air is as good as I’ve seen from a state league player of his age. “He’s certainly had a really good month of footy. He’s had a really good year, to be honest.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...e/news-story/4647a25bb932ff1516ec93764907b3b3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call. Few they missed eth-dog

Think I noticed 8/10. Wouldn't have got Hore or Smith of the guys listed.
Honestly I was shocked when I saw those two. Smith in particular.

I really only see one going in the ND in Boyse. Fritsch and Ferry outside chances for me. the other 5 I can see getting drafted but only as rookies.

Is Nick Meese who's playing for Williamstown any chance of being drafted even as a rookie? He's had a dominant season in the VFL playing in the ruck. A few weeks ago he had 94 hit-outs in a game.
Hasn't entered his name in the draft for about 5-6 years

Don't have to be playing Senior football necessary to be looked at? Several players first year out of u18s have been picked up playing ressies, before, so thats a false conclusion from your "friend"
You look at the person playing his position in the ones in Christian Howard arguably the best left peg the Western Bulldogs ever had, ex AFL player. Jonty Scharenberg is another who is playing in his position and he is super hot form atm, and your not dropping him- having an unreal first season at Senior level.

Walker I believe will still give an AFL club something to work with. Never said main draft but more of a rookie type.
You can argue with his kicking ability that can break lines, and some clubs need that. He is a good prospect and was last year.
Are there many examples of SANFL reserves players being picked up after their draft year? I would have thought it would be incredibly hard to prove yourself from that level, very few do it from senior state football.

Any Mature Key Forwards who could get drafted ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan's a star, hard to believe he wasn't drafted last year. Tyler Keitel is another one from the WAFL to keep an eye on.
What exactly is Ryan's style? Is he lead up/overhead like Cupido/Membrey/Le Cras, or is he a small goal sneak (Davey/Green/Thomas)? Does he apply much defensive pressure?

Mitch Grigg looks a class above at SANFL level. Biggest weakness is his lack of pace but he is a brilliant extractor and bullocking mid. Think someone may look at him again this year
If you needed an inside option, would you take Grigg or Panos?

If you needed an inside option, would you take Grigg or Panos?
Hard one.
Panos has the better skills and extracts the ball better but Grigg has age on his side and is better at the grunt work. If Grigg could fix his kicking just a little he would be on a list. Both have worked really hard since returning to the SANFL and both would be worth a look even as a rookie

What exactly is Ryan's style? Is he lead up/overhead like Cupido/Membrey/Le Cras, or is he a small goal sneak (Davey/Green/Thomas)? Does he apply much defensive pressure?
His overhead marking is definitely his best asset. His leap means smaller defenders can't get near the point where he marks it and taller defenders wouldn't have a hope in keeping up with him. Also uses it beautifully by foot, his ability to weight a pass is delightful to watch. Defensive pressure is his downfall, mostly due to his endurance. Think it was reported last year he ran a sub 10 beep, which makes his feats in the WAFL even more impressive. this is the area he must improve on if he wants to have an AFL career. I was honestly astounded he wasn't at the very least rookied last year given his obvious talent. Clubs won't make the same mistake again. He's one of a few I'd like us to look at from the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back