Recommitted Max Holmes [re-signed with Geelong through 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

So you'd be expecting a top 5 pick for a half back who pinch hits on ball a few times a quarter?

Don't get me wrong, Holmes has some amazing traits as a player but sometimes those shifts in roles don't work out. Andy McGrath playing tonight excelled having stints on ball after playing primarily half back early days and now he's back to playing as a very good half backer after they realized he just wasn't suited to being a full time mid.

Holmes is what he is for the time being and would be valued as such, Adam Cerra was a much more proven midfield prospect with similar output at the same age and was traded for Pick 6.

Pick 10 is about right.

All I'm saying is that it's not realistically achievable to salvage anything like his actual value in any trade for him.

We'd be getting robbed, it would be unfair, but sometimes unfair things happen.

All I'm saying is that it's not realistically achievable to salvage anything like his actual value in any trade for him.

We'd be getting robbed, it would be unfair, but sometimes unfair things happen.
Yep, Ollie Henry is a prime example of that. Homesick living 1 hour up the road... Joe Daniher drives from bloody Noosa each week for training. Would only be fair for the Cats to get stiffed a few times back for that con.

Anyway Holmes is reportedly likely to stay so it's a moot point.

Yep, Ollie Henry is a prime example of that. Homesick living 1 hour up the road... Joe Daniher drives from bloody Noosa each week for training. Would only be fair for the Cats to get stiffed a few times back for that con.

Anyway Holmes is reportedly likely to stay so it's a moot point.
I don't think it's comparable really. Henry was in the vfl and Collingwood got a Brownlow medallist midfielder critical in a flag out of that trade. For a surplus player.

I don't think it's comparable really. Henry was in the vfl and Collingwood got a Brownlow medallist midfielder critical in a flag out of that trade. For a surplus player.
You know as well as I do that Pies fans were absolutely ropable re that trade.

Geelong had him pull out the home sick card to try and garner sympathy but every person who follows footy knew it was an absolute crock of s**t.

Anyway i still haven't really heard an argument as to why he'd be worth more than pick 10 or what Cats fans realistically believe he's worth? He's a clear tier below the absolute top young mids in the competition and there's still some level of uncertainty as to what his best position going forward is.

He'd slot into just about any team in the comp and be best 22 but I doubt he'd be a top 5 player at many.

Geelong had him pull out the home sick card to try and garner sympathy but every person who follows footy knew it was an absolute crock of s**t.

Anyway i still haven't really heard an argument as to why he'd be worth more than pick 10 or what Cats fans realistically believe he's worth? He's a clear tier below the absolute top young mids in the competition and there's still some level of uncertainty as to what his best position going forward is.

He'd slot into just about any team in the comp and be best 22 but I doubt he'd be a top 5 player at many.

Well there's nothing forcing then to trade for him.

He was never homesick, he left to play with his brother and he was always going to.

I can understand why Pies supporters would be pissed...but the reality is we all saw this coming.

We had posters on our board who know the Henry family, and prior to the draft they were telling us that no matter where he ended up, he'd be back at Geelong in short order, or wherever Jack was playing.

If randoms on the internet have access to that kinda info, but the Pies recruiters can't sniff it out...then they've only got themselves to blame.

He was never homesick, he left to play with his brother and he was always going to.

I can understand why Pies supporters would be pissed...but the reality is we all saw this coming.

We had posters on our board who know the Henry family, and prior to the draft they were telling us that no matter where he ended up, he'd be back at Geelong in short order, or wherever Jack was playing.

If randoms on the internet have access to that kinda info, but the Pies recruiters can't sniff it out...then they've only got themselves to blame.

Like us, Pies administration can't mentally process losing a player they want to keep. It's rare.

He won't be going anywhere . A few guys will get a tap on the shoulder to make the space to keep him.
Number 1 priority for the Cats
100% - As long as we sign Holmes, I'm really not fussed about who else we may pick-up at this stage, or even if we pick up anyone. Plenty of players who should be getting the tap on the shoulder regardless.

It's re-sign Holmes and get some cheap, mature ruck support for Conway for me (putting Stanley out to pasture) at this stage.

It's re-sign Holmes and get some cheap, mature ruck support for Conway for me (putting Stanley out to pasture) at this stage.

I would be doing everything possible to get Stanley to play one more to support Conway.

Cheap, mature ruck support is Ceglar, Darcy Fort etc. No back up ruck with upside at another club is going to look at Conway and think Geelong is a long term opportunity for them. That sort of ruck will go to one of the other 3-4 clubs where they could walk in unchallenged. We'd be left scraping the barrel for the professional back up ruckman that is happy to just have a contract anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be doing everything possible to get Stanley to play one more to support Conway.

Cheap, mature ruck support is Ceglar, Darcy Fort etc. No back up ruck with upside at another club is going to look at Conway and think Geelong is a long term opportunity for them. That sort of ruck will go to one of the other 3-4 clubs where they could walk in unchallenged. We'd be left scraping the barrel for the professional back up ruckman that is happy to just have a contract anywhere.

I agree but i doubt stanley is interested in playing on if conway becomes the no1 i think he would rather retire to his farm. So i think we will need to bring in a cheap backup ruck.

I agree but i doubt stanley is interested in playing on if conway becomes the no1 i think he would rather retire to his farm. So i think we will need to bring in a cheap backup ruck.
I have a strong suspicion we just field whatever we can if Conway isn't out there and try make up ground elsewhere. We've never valued rucks before, and state leaguers aren't going to be much better than Neale-Blitz

This site really does allow stupidity to fester, not having a go at you per se, you're just another that's read the same stuff as everyone else. Yes he came home but this notion he's a glorified mummy's boy and that's why is nonsense.

Some people just have different priorities and personal traits. Some on this planet can up and leave home at 18 and work halfway across the world. Others love the proximity to family.

I could work and live in Melbourne and earn more than I do where I am, I could stay here and commute to Melbourne for the larger $$$, but I don't. COVID taught me a valuable lesson in lockdown.

Family and friends are #1. Money comes and goes, colleagues come and go, but friends and family are forever.

How does that relate to Ollie? Met him with his granddad during Jack's first season on the list. Granddad was just a nervous wreck hoping Jack would be retained. Ollie wanted nothing more than to play with his brother. By twist of fate my current job has his granddad as a regular customer these days and that was the reason he left he says. He wanted to play with Jack.

He was no F/S gift or highly prized first rounder, he was a rookie pick. Had another club taken the punt on Jack then Ollie probably asks Collingwood to be traded there instead.

So you'd be expecting a top 5 pick for a half back who pinch hits on ball a few times a quarter?

Don't get me wrong, Holmes has some amazing traits as a player but sometimes those shifts in roles don't work out. Andy McGrath playing tonight excelled having stints on ball after playing primarily half back early days and now he's back to playing as a very good half backer after they realized he just wasn't suited to being a full time mid.

Holmes is what he is for the time being and would be valued as such, Adam Cerra was a much more proven midfield prospect with similar output at the same age and was traded for Pick 6.

Pick 10 is about right.
I agree with this - he is a better prospect than Cerra was when he was traded purely due to his athletic traits though. He has shown that he can play to a near AA level on the wing and now is showing he can do it on the back flank. The question mark is on whether he wins enough contested ball to become a full time midfielder. And for that reason pick 10 would likely be the highest Geelong would get.

If he wants 4 years at $800k, get a contract in front of him right now.

We don't blow up our pay structure and it's not a nonsense 7+ year deal.

BigFooty gonna be BIGMAD. Another Cat wanting to stay on a team incentivised deal.
Wells/Mackie does it AGAIN :heart::hearteyes:

This site really does allow stupidity to fester, not having a go at you per se, you're just another that's read the same stuff as everyone else. Yes he came home but this notion he's a glorified mummy's boy and that's why is nonsense.

Some people just have different priorities and personal traits. Some on this planet can up and leave home at 18 and work halfway across the world. Others love the proximity to family.

I could work and live in Melbourne and earn more than I do where I am, I could stay here and commute to Melbourne for the larger $$$, but I don't. COVID taught me a valuable lesson in lockdown.

Family and friends are #1. Money comes and goes, colleagues come and go, but friends and family are forever.

How does that relate to Ollie? Met him with his granddad during Jack's first season on the list. Granddad was just a nervous wreck hoping Jack would be retained. Ollie wanted nothing more than to play with his brother. By twist of fate my current job has his granddad as a regular customer these days and that was the reason he left he says. He wanted to play with Jack.

He was no F/S gift or highly prized first rounder, he was a rookie pick. Had another club taken the punt on Jack then Ollie probably asks Collingwood to be traded there instead.

I look at it even more simply that this idea that anyone wanting to leave their club is a "mummy's boy" or a "mercenary", but then in the next breath, the same people are generally talking about the targets that they want to lure away from their current clubs. It's ridiculous.

It's a two-way street and the same goes for loyalty between the club and players who are questionable to receive a contract renewal. From an outsider's perspective, my/our club has made some contract decisions that have seemed pretty brutal over Chris Scott's tenure: old and young players. That's a part of the job. If you're going to end players' AFL dreams literally every year, you can't really get too heartbroken by a player wanting out, can you? I'd be kidding myself to think that if Holmes was underperforming, or couldn't get out of the rehab group, that the club wouldn't be quick to make a "business decision" with him, regardless of how good a bloke he is.

All you can do is treat the players that come into your club with respect as human beings for the time that they are an employee and hopefully beyond that. I strongly feel that the AFL clubs that do this are paid back by players looking to them as potential destination clubs. And I think it's something that Geelong must do quite well behind the scenes.

I can think of quite a few players whom Geelong seemed to give the chop maybe a year or two before their time, club champions in some cases. And yet, I've never heard a former player publicly criticise Chris Scott, even to the extent of the relatively mild criticism that Ginnivan recently made of his departure at Collingwood and how it was handled. I was waiting for it with Chappy and Stevie J's books... but nothing there. It's something that has undoubtedly helped Scott to be as successful as he is, and potentially a red flag for a coach like McRae, relatively early in his career.

Not really. Ollie was considered by plenty to be top 10 quality in his draft. Should he have been left to rot to the rookie draft since he was only ever going to end up playing for Geelong?

Dozens of kids are considered to be flight risks when they're 18 - and why wouldn't they? They've lived at home with mum and dad their whole lives. Plenty of them mature when they become independent and their motivations change. Collingwood has a strong retention culture and rarely do they lose players they want to keep. They had every reason to take a punt that he'd be alright with playing and living up the freeway from his family.

Not really. Ollie was considered by plenty to be top 10 quality in his draft. Should he have been left to rot to the rookie draft since he was only ever going to end up playing for Geelong?

Dozens of kids are considered to be flight risks when they're 18 - and why wouldn't they? They've lived at home with mum and dad their whole lives. Plenty of them mature when they become independent and their motivations change. Collingwood has a strong retention culture and rarely do they lose players they want to keep. They had every reason to take a punt that he'd be alright with playing and living up the freeway from his family.

As other Cats fans have pointed out, it was not 'living up the freeway' that was the issue with Ollie. The Henry family were/are absolute diehard Geelong supporters, the brothers grew up around 300m from Kardinia Park and used to go to watch training sessions after school when they were kids. Ollie saw his big brother live out their childhood dream by being drafted to the club he was in love with (and then win a flag to boot). Him wanting to play for the same club, with his brother, is absolutely not an unreasonable goal.

BigFooty gonna be BIGMAD. Another Cat wanting to stay on a team incentivised deal.
Wells/Mackie does it AGAIN :heart::hearteyes:
Money Man GIF

They know what they're doing.

It's not that you shouldn't have picked him, it's the "How on earth could this happen?!?" rubbish that corresponded with his departure.

Anybody with a hint of knowledge of the situation knew how it was going to go years out.

I'm similar to Art Vandelay_, I'm not from Geelong, but a lot of my family are and they've known the Henry family over the journey too.

If we (and many others) knew about it, Collingwood should have...and they either shouldn't have picked him, or picked him while knowing he was basically a rental.

It's particularly ironic when half your side is from other clubs too. Pot/kettle and all that.

We're not perfect, but we didn't even boo the likes of Caddy & Kelly, much less abuse them on social media by the dozen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back