MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Not shafting anyone. Government money...other states step up
How can the other states step up and get a home grand final? It's a farce!

They talk about wanting an even competition and giving the highest ranked team a home grand final 'was' one thing that was achievable, but not now.

The Southern Stand was built in 1937 and lasted over 50 years before being replaced by the Great Southern Stand in 1992.

At 26 years old and with a renovation/refurbishment/upgrade (or two or three) in it I think it is still a fine stand that caters well for the sports and other activities that take place at the ground. So I think this money could be better directed, from whoever it is coming from. I certainly hope there are no tax dollars being spent on it.

Jesus - if the contract is still going for another 20 years, what the hell is the point of signing another contract 20 years from now? 20 years is a long ******* time and plenty of things can change. AFL is dumb as dogshit

Lol when asked what's in it for other states Eddie said they get some extra flights put on for the GF and get to train on the G.
I thought this happened already.
I guess it will mean more affordable flights.
Na Crows got stuck in Melbourne because Virgin's check in system crashed last year and I managed to get home before them driving

If Sydney or Perth build a stadium that can hold more than the MCG they can have a crack at hosting a grand final
Again, it's not about that, it's about growing the brand, who knows, if the other states were given the chance to host it maybe they would fork out some money for a better stadium.

Why should the Victorian government pay for interstate sides? Hit up your own state government

They paying to continue the rights of hosting a national competition. There is no basically no benefit for non-vic clubs. Not hard to understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, it's not about that, it's about growing the brand, who knows, if the other states were given the chance to host it maybe they would fork out some money for a better stadium.

Perth and Adelaide both have brand new stadiums and they’re talking about it in Sydney. No more stadiums being built for some time.

They paying to continue the rights of hosting a national competition. There is no basically no benefit for non-vic clubs. Not hard to understand.
The other state governments could easily of made an offer to the afl to move the grand final or facilities yet they didn’t. Victorian government put the money where their mouths are. Loving the salt delicious

"Grand Final to be played in the same place for the next 40 years that it has been for the last 117 years."

No way, it can't be!

Was once at Waverely Park and at least once at Princes Park (68,000) when MCG was used by army in WW2.
Probably one or two early ones at Junction Oval, not sure but most been at the home of footy and game in good shape if stays forever at it's sacred home.

Jesus - if the contract is still going for another 20 years, what the hell is the point of signing another contract 20 years from now? 20 years is a long ******* time and plenty of things can change. AFL is dumb as dogshit
Its a carrot for votes, Vic state election this year.

State Government should have put a proviso on providing the money. THE AFL must give completing club members access to something like 70,000 GF tickets and 30,000 for the general public.
But the AFL and MCC are paying for a lot of the G upgrade, as they have done for the previous upgrades, you can't just stop their members from going to the GF when they are the ones paying for it all. I think they specifically said the G upgrade was at no cost to taxpayers.

The other state governments could easily of made an offer to the afl to move the grand final or facilities yet they didn’t. Victorian government put the money where their mouths are. Loving the salt delicious
Yes, states where AFL is not even second in popularity is going to fork out that kind of money o_O.
VIC teams sure love to whinge when there advantages to other team but are completely blind to their own.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back