McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Option C is impossible, he's not a free agent. If he re-signs, it's highly likely to be before he comes back.
you missed my point about us winning the flag :) So does this mean WCE Have to trade for him? what happens if he doesn't re-sign? and we haven't traded him by close of business trade week?

you missed my point about us winning the flag :) So does this mean WCE Have to trade for him? what happens if he doesn't re-sign? and we haven't traded him by close of business trade week?

No I didn't, but winning the flag doesn't mean uncontracted players become free agents. Yes it does. We trade him. I'd say it's extremely unlikely, but he'd walk to the PSD (if it still exists) and we'd get nothing.

Scenario A: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He re-signs.

Scenario B: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... We trade him to WCE for their first round pick (est. Pick 12-14)

Scenario C: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He leaves to WCE as a RFA, (on 550-600k per year) we don't match, we are compensated with a pick following our first round pick - (Pick 19)

In order, I would prefer A, B then C... but worst scenario isn't bad.. Either way.. We WILL win the flag this year... Soooo.... losing him won't hurt as bad as the players we've lost in the past.. and it will mean we go into the 2017 with 2 first round picks..

:)
There's also the scenario where the Gov re-signs before he comes back from injury... which is more plausible than option C. ;)

:)[/QUOTE]
Scenario A: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He re-signs.

Scenario B: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... We trade him to WCE for their first round pick (est. Pick 12-14)

Scenario C: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He leaves to WCE as a RFA, (on 550-600k per year) we don't match, we are compensated with a pick following our first round pick - (Pick 19)

In order, I would prefer A, B then C... but worst scenario isn't bad.. Either way.. We WILL win the flag this year... Soooo.... losing him won't hurt as bad as the players we've lost in the past.. and it will mean we go into the 2017 with 2 first round picks..

WTF are you on about.
He's got about 6 years until he'll be a RFA.

I reckon if WCE or Freo want to offer a first rounder for Gov we jump at it.

Otten can play his role, with the added advantage of pinch hitting in Ruck. We then also have Dear and Himmelberg showing promise in the Ressies.

The role is not really a key one and if you can get a first rounder for such a guy it would be screwed trading.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otten can play his role, with the added advantage of pinch hitting in Ruck. We then also have Dear and Himmelberg showing promise in the Ressies.

The role is not really a key one and if you can get a first rounder for such a guy it would be screwed trading.

Awful idea.

What. The. Bleep

This is dumber than giving free agency scenarios for a 3rd year player

Kudos

This is dumber than giving free agency scenarios for a 3rd year player

Kudos
What is dumb about it?

Yeah he is talented. Hence we should get a.first rounder for him.

But he also plays a role we have some depth in. Otten, Dear and Himmelberg.

It is also a role I sometimes think is superfolous in our structure. Hence McGovern struggles to stay involved at times and fades out of games.

Otten can at least be involved more with his ability to Ruck.

McGovern might also become a better player at Freo where he would be second key forward. Which is the reason I think he will leave. Something that will never happen here behind Tex and Jenkins.

What is dumb about it?

It is also a role I sometimes think is superfolous in our structure. Hence McGovern struggles to stay involved at times and fades out of games.

McGovern might also become a better player at Freo where he would be second key forward. Which is the reason I think he will leave. Something that will never happen here behind Tex and Jenkins.

The odds of getting a player better than Gov even with a first round pick are small. The guy is close to our most talented forward and has played what 25 games? He could be absolutely anything!

To willingly trade out talent like that would be very dumb.

The odds of getting a player better than Gov even with a first round pick are small. The guy is close to our most talented forward and has played what 25 games? He could be absolutely anything!

To willingly trade out talent like that would be very dumb.
Does he play ahead of Tex, Jenkins or Lynch?

I agree he is talented. Hence we can get value for him.

But he plays a role we have depth in and a role that also is not as vital to our structure as the one Jenkins, Tex and Lynch play.

Otten could also play another five plus years is just as good with better Footy IQ and he can Ruck.

A top ten draft pick gets in a guy like Milera. We could use another Milera.

I personally think Gov would be crazy to stay. Freo should already be into him and selling him the idea of playing with Cam McCarthy for the next t3n years. Gov is better than McCarthy.

This is the key - we're all on the same page with his talent/potential. But if we can get genuine value for him, then I'd trade him out too. And i dont say that lightly.

Our forward line without him is still extremely potent. And - injury aside - we have another 3ish years where thats the case, before Eddie goes & Tex is on the back 9. If the right trade was there that brought in a ready made top tier midfielder i'd do it.

Our forward line - Mcgovern will be just fine if you can keep getting the ball in there with the speed/precision that we have been lately. Adding genuine midfield quality achieves that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the key - we're all on the same page with his talent/potential. But if we can get genuine value for him, then I'd trade him out too. And i dont say that lightly.

Our forward line without him is still extremely potent. And - injury aside - we have another 3ish years where thats the case, before Eddie goes & Tex is on the back 9. If the right trade was there that brought in a ready made top tier midfielder i'd do it.

Our forward line - Mcgovern will be just fine if you can keep getting the ball in there with the speed/precision that we have been lately. Adding genuine midfield quality achieves that.

They wont trade McGovern, if he doesnt want to stay then the club better work out he aint going cheap which they need to start doing, we saw how Carlton didnt trade, Gov can end up at Brissie for all I care if west Coast or Freo dont pony up.

We dont know the above but if he hasnt signed by the end of H and A, you can put it down he is going

Last edited:

But he plays a role we have depth in and a role that also is not as vital to our structure as the one Jenkins, Tex and Lynch play.

Otten could also play another five plus years is just as good with better Footy IQ and he can Ruck.

I personally think Gov would be crazy to stay. Freo should already be into him and selling him the idea of playing with Cam McCarthy for the next t3n years. Gov is better than McCarthy.

Otten is not just as good. It wont even be close over the course of their careers.

Gov can play with those guys not sure Otten can long term.

The bolded is crazy! The rumours are all about him wanting to play with his brother, but his brother has stated that he won't be trying to lure him over. Why else would he want to move? He can't claim lack of opportunity: our club has bent over backwards to carry him through invisibility. He can't claim to be leaving for success! I'm sure that we'll be making an attractive offer. He would actually be crazy to leave.
It may or may not be true about him wanting to play with his brother, but he doesn't look to me to be the type of player to leave for any other reason.

What is dumb about it?

I think you have Rose coloured glasses on when it comes to Otten. He is playing well in a side that is flying. There is barely any pressure on him and he gets the 3rd-4th best defender every week. Not to mention he is 28 with a terrible injury history. Don't get me wrong. He deserves his spot in the side and is playing some great footy. I feel his deficiencies will be exposed though when it comes down to the pointy end of the season.

Dear and Himmelberg are still very raw. No where near ready for AFL.

I get what your saying though about McGovern and a draft pick. If Freo offer us a top 10 pick for him then I agree, we take it and run. It gets basically an equal if not better talent in the squad and also frees up salary cap. McGovern is going to command $400-$500k I believe by seasons end. If that can be used then to help lure a Dusty, Rocky or Gibbs then I'm all for it. Our forward line is dynamic enough to go smaller if need be (ie if Otten were to go down).

Any deal would need to bring in someone that was immediately best 22 to be worthwhile in my opinion (maybe via 3-way trade - not sure Freo/WC have the right player.)

Not if we are able to use the extra salary to do that to strengthen other areas. If we traded McGovern and got a top 10 pick + could land Dusty, Rocky or Gibbs. We would be silly not to do it.

I hear we are chasing Dumont from the Roos so could possibly get him instead of Gibbs to Strengthen mid + land a FA.

If we continue our type of form we will look very attractive to some of those FA

I think you have Rose coloured glasses on when it comes to Otten. He is playing well in a side that is flying. There is barely any pressure on him and he gets the 3rd-4th best defender every week. Not to mention he is 28 with a terrible injury history. Don't get me wrong. He deserves his spot in the side and is playing some great footy. I feel his deficiencies will be exposed though when it comes down to the pointy end of the season.

Dear and Himmelberg are still very raw. No where near ready for AFL.

I get what your saying though about McGovern and a draft pick. If Freo offer us a top 10 pick for him then I agree, we take it and run. It gets basically an equal if not better talent in the squad and also frees up salary cap. McGovern is going to command $400-$500k I believe by seasons end. If that can be used then to help lure a Dusty, Rocky or Gibbs then I'm all for it. Our forward line is dynamic enough to go smaller if need be (ie if Otten were to go down).
That is the deal we take and run with.

Anything less we try to keep him. I am not saying trade him out for a bag of beans. I am saying trade out a quality player we have depth in to bring in a player in an area we are shallow in. Turn Gov into a future Blue Chip mid.

I do think Gov would be an elite key forward at another club. Freo would be crazy not to be going hard for him.

But can we play all of Tex, Lynch, Gov and Jenkins and see Gov develop to his full potential. I don't think it is sustainable. Gov is naturally suited to Tex's role.

What's 'value'? A speculative pick when we've got a talented 22 year old key forward?

Seems like a fairly redundant conversation. If he wants to stay, then we'll sign him and he'll stay. If he wants to go then we won't have much choice other than to trade him. We're sure as hell not going to force him out if he doesn't want to go, nor would we pull the Jarryd-Lyons-Lowball manoeuvre on the contract negotiations to try and make it look like he doesn't want to stay.

Ball is entirely in McGovern's court, it's not really the AFC's decision to make unless it gets to the point where he says he wants to stay but is demanding a contract that the club is unwilling to offer. But as far as I'm aware, they're not even negotiating yet?

Word in Perth is Fyfe to Saints is a done deal.

Freo could have plenty of cap space to throw around if that's the case.

Back