McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an inexplicable claim

He was gifted (invested) games in year 1. Rightly so

In year 2 he was in the side on merit and showed some great signs in our first final

But he doesn't even have a position and he hasn't actually done very much on field. He's all about future development.

Lever is about what he will be on a thin cv so far but a lot of promise

Mitch is also about what he will be, based on what he already has done.

You want to keep both but if both are being targeted it's an easy call.

For Lever to have real value to be worth the hype he either needs to be a key defender. If he is just a 3rd tall he can still be great, but that means he needs to be Ben Hart or Boris Enright.

The likelihood of that seems remote to me. It's a high bar if he's not a key defender

He is an intercept marking, creative, 3rd tall defender. This is a very important role/position.

Anyone watching Adelaide on sunday, from Fyfe, to Dusty Martin, Gibbs or Rockcliff, let alone our juniors, would live to be playing for us next year, in a gf

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As in the trade period just past?
And spooked as in we want to sign him asap, or looking into offloading him for a go at a 'big fish'?
I came in late to a conversation where McGovern and the Crows were being talked about. This is someone who would know and he said that the club was worried about McGovern as both WA clubs were into him big time and he wouldn't 're-sign yet.
The part I only got a bit of was around the trade period with Gibbs that spooked (his word) the club about him and the best I can put together is that He had no interest in Carlton but a three way to a Perth club wasn't so off the cards. That's what I came away thinking. Now wether that was what scared the club or there was something else I missed I can't be sure.

He is an intercept marking, creative, 3rd tall defender. This is a very important role/position.

I agree except it's not a very important position

At the moment he's a 3rd tall intercept defender. To match the hype he needs to become a key defender or Ben Hart/Boris Enright

Bloody high bar to be a star as a 3rd tall. Not impossible but hard

I heard that something happened during trade week that spooked the Crows over Gov.
This may be that once Carlton made an offer to him as part of the Gibbs deal they put $500k on the table. Assuming when he signed his extension early last year it was for peanuts. All of a sudden his price has gone through the roof and he, or his manager, have been using that $500k as a base price now to start a bidding war. This is all base on Rucci's trolling once the story broke early this year about him putting contract talks on hold but it would make an it of sense.
Seems to me the word out west has really died down lately and most people get the impression he is quite happy in Adelaide

This may be that once Carlton made an offer to him as part of the Gibbs deal they put $500k on the table. Assuming when he signed his extension early last year it was for peanuts. All of a sudden his price has gone through the roof and he, or his manager, have been using that $500k as a base price now to start a bidding war. This is all base on Rucci's trolling once the story broke early this year about him putting contract talks on hold but it would make an it of sense.
Seems to me the word out west has really died down lately and most people get the impression he is quite happy in Adelaide

500k SHOULD be his base price. If we got him for 500k it would be a ridiculous bargain.

Hope the talk of it being a hamstring tendon and surgery/12 weeks out is wrong

If it's true though I wonder what it means for his decision on his future? Have always felt that players are more susceptible to being poached/lured home if they're out of the team for whatever reason.

For MM, sitting on the sidelines possibly watching Menzel or someone do well in his place would be depressing.

Hope it's just a regular 21 day hamstring and he's back soon.

I would rather it fired him up.
So that he gets really stuck into his 3 months of couch sitting?

Doing his shoulder could have fired Phil Davis up. Instead it reminded him that AFL careers are fleeting and to take the money when you can get it.

Getting dropped 4 times in his first 8 games could have fired Jack Gunston up. Instead it made him realise he was at a club that had lost its way.

Sitting out injured/not picked could have fired Tom Lynch up. Instead it made him consider an offer from Adelaide.

Hopefully the report isn't true. Key time for him in his life. Has to decide if Adelaide is his home or just a place where he played football for a while.

Last edited:

Doing his shoulder could have fired Phil Davis up. Instead it reminded him that AFL careers are fleeting and to take the money when you can get it.

Getting dropped 4 times in his first 8 games could have fired Jack Gunston up. Instead it made him realise he was at a club that had lost its way.

Sitting out injured/not picked could have fired Tom Lynch up. Instead it made him consider an offer from Adelaide.

Hopefully the report isn't true. Key time for him in his life. Has to decide if Adelaide is his home or just a place he played football for a while.
So that he gets stuck into his rehab. Whether he is going or not , getting injured wont change his mindset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better than the 2-3 months some were saying, but still a loss. I guess Troy Menzel, come on down!
Hope they give Menzel a solid 3-4 week run. A small gold pass to get him back into the AFL fold. Major turning point in his AFL life too.

Hope they give Menzel a solid 3-4 week run. A small gold pass to get him back into the AFL fold. Major turning point in his AFL life too.
Can't imagine that Menzel walks into the side this weekend. Jenkins should play (granted that rib tickler isn't still bothering him), and I feel like Crouch should come in for Milera who looked a little overwhelmed last week in the showdown. A week in the 2's would do him good.

If they brought Menzel in that would be 3 changes to an undefeated side, I just don't see that happening under Pykey

4-6 weeks is a pipe dream. Club said this morning they are consulting a surgeon. If they have to go that far its going to be 8-10 at a minimum. Even if surgery is not needed its worse than a normal hammy to have to think about surgery.

Yeah I had the feeling on 5aa they had no clue and mentioned 4-6 weeks as the "bare minimum" but "hopefully won't be a bad one" etc.

The fact the club has said scans revealed significant damage and he's meeting surgeons suggests it'll be considerably more than 4-6

Nothing is in the papers.

But to be honest. How many times can you write about him moving back with no sauces

Hopefully the report isn't true. Key time for him in his life. Has to decide if Adelaide is his home or just a place where he played football for a while.

Can also impact upon market value of course.

Back