tribey

5 Wins-in-a-row Certificate ‘13, ‘14, ‘18, ‘20
Mar 9, 2003
Queen St & Peter Rd
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, YES.
Just on Garry Lyon one of my mates was dealing blackjack to him in Crown a number of years ago and in conversation my mate said he was South Australian. Well apparently Lyon went on a 5 minute monologue how the non-Vic states had killed football and he wished that they would go back to the VFL. That's the sort of stupidity you're dealing with. He may have changed his tune now but wouldn't surprise me if that is still how he feels.
In much the same the Republic of Fruchoctopia blames Port for everything, he really misses the mark.

The arms race between Collingwood and Richmond in the early 80’s which threatened to send both of those powerhouse clubs to wall, let alone the fact the VFL’s multimedia rights were worth nothing (ditto the SANFL and WAFL) is what ultimately led to the push for a national comp.

I mean, what does he seriously think the alternative was?

Eddie Dingle

Moving chairs
Apr 16, 2007
Joppa Road
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In much the same the Republic of Fruchoctopia blames Port for everything, he really misses the mark.

The arms race between Collingwood and Richmond in the early 80’s which threatened to send both of those powerhouse clubs to wall, let alone the fact the VFL’s multimedia rights were worth nothing (ditto the SANFL and WAFL) is what ultimately led to the push for a national comp.

He’ll get free piss in pubs in Malbun for the rest of his life whatever happens so he wouldn’t give a fu** about reality or alternatives.

It’s a Victorian thing.

longdonkey

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well having been there at the time in the early 80's when they started throwing money at guys to sign Form 4's. It was stupid money being thrown around by amateur administrators. That's the thing to remember most guys running clubs were small business types who got in over their heads - other than Carlton who pretty much was the cause of it - John Elliott and others signing players.
Not helped at the time by the best generation of young players coming out of SA and to a lesser extent WA it turned into a chequebook war that got close to breaking clubs. So in respect to that they could point the finger.
Anyway that's why they started the draft so clubs weren't forking out cash for Form 4's which just linked a player to a club but not necessarily meant that they played for that club. I guess what Lyon wants is 12 VFL Clubs sharing around the nations football talent between themselves which is what they tried to do in the 80's. Problem was they were amateurs, if they did it now they would have succeeded.
Also the VFL was run by the clubs so until Ross Oakley came along decisions would have been compromised by club loyalties and the business side not as well run.

tribey

5 Wins-in-a-row Certificate ‘13, ‘14, ‘18, ‘20
Mar 9, 2003
Queen St & Peter Rd
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, YES.
Well having been there at the time in the early 80's when they started throwing money at guys to sign Form 4's. It was stupid money being thrown around by amateur administrators. That's the thing to remember most guys running clubs were small business types who got in over their heads - other than Carlton who pretty much was the cause of it - John Elliott and others signing players.
Not helped at the time by the best generation of young players coming out of SA and to a lesser extent WA it turned into a chequebook war that got close to breaking clubs. So in respect to that they could point the finger.
Anyway that's why they started the draft so clubs weren't forking out cash for Form 4's which just linked a player to a club but not necessarily meant that they played for that club. I guess what Lyon wants is 12 VFL Clubs sharing around the nations football talent between themselves which is what they tried to do in the 80's. Problem was they were amateurs, if they did it now they would have succeeded.
Also the VFL was run by the clubs so until Ross Oakley came along decisions would have been compromised by club loyalties and the business side not as well run.
Great point. The most egregious example of this was when separate factions of the Collingwood board managed to sign Jack Cahill and John Kennedy Snr to be head coach for season 1983, resulting in Jack actually getting the job and Kennedy Snr getting a significant payout to do literally nothing.

Madness.

longdonkey

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great point. The most egregious example of this was when separate factions of the Collingwood board managed to sign Jack Cahill and John Kennedy Snr to be head coach for season 1983, resulting in Jack actually getting the job and Kennedy Snr getting a significant payout to do literally nothing.

Madness.
Bahahahahahahahaha

I didn't know that.

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just on Garry Lyon one of my mates was dealing blackjack to him in Crown a number of years ago and in conversation my mate said he was South Australian. Well apparently Lyon went on a 5 minute monologue how the non-Vic states had killed football and he wished that they would go back to the VFL. That's the sort of stupidity you're dealing with. He may have changed his tune now but wouldn't surprise me if that is still how he feels.
Those non-Vic teams entering the AFL really sacked the life out of Melbourne's unbelievable run of success didn't they...

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

philreich

Hall of Famer
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Garry is also somewhat bitter about the fact that his beloved Demons haven't been a realistic chance of winning a flag since Robert Menzies was Prime Minister.

longdonkey

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geez I wonder how much of Footy Assiffied will be dedicated to the big "Traditional" ANZAC Day blockbuster between the 14th placed Essington and the high flying 16th placed Colliwobbles?
I think the last time I watched that game some guy called McGough was BOG. Won't watch it on principle.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geez I wonder how much of Footy Assiffied will be dedicated to the big "Traditional" ANZAC Day blockbuster between the 14th placed Essington and the high flying 16th placed Colliwobbles?
And they can wear whatever jumper and shorts they want and stuff cause it’s Victorian tradition and that means Australian Football tradition and it’s the most important tradition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
Aug 30, 2004
driving a straddle carrier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports
And they can wear whatever jumper and shorts they want and stuff cause it’s Victorian tradition and that means Australian Football tradition and it’s the most important tradition.
A long standing tradition since Kevin Sheedy invented ANZAC Day in 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad