The Hitman

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hi Demons fans, last year I posted Melbourne's season preview and it generated some good discussion.

In that spirit, I thought I'd come back and post the 2016 season preview for the Dees.

Genuinely interested in finding out your realistic aims, what has you excited and your feedback on the preview.

I've posted the whole thing here, sans images, to comply with the BigFooty anti-spamming protocols; hopefully that's okay for the mods.

I am not the author, but I've let him know I've posted the preview and he'll be here to engage!

2016 season preview: Melbourne
By Rudi Edsall

Last season

The oldest club in the land came into 2015 without much in the way of expectations. With a scarred psyche from the disastrous Mark Neeld days and a playing list that, at times in 2014, looked like it was learning how to play footy again, it’s fair to say the Demons looked at last season as part of a rebuilding arc.

In the end it played out in a classic retooling narrative for them – some abject performances mixed with rousing wins, and the green shoots of a side that can make a move towards the finals.

The seven victories they banked included a Bernie Vince inspired win in Geelong (their first since 2005), an expert wet weather performance against Richmond early in the season and a five-goal stroll against the otherwise rampaging Bulldogs.

The round 20 return fixture against the Dogs provided the ultimate contrast, however. Melbourne conceding the first 12 majors to find themselves 74 points down just eight minutes into the second quarter. A final margin of 98 flattered the Dees. The other end of the spectrum – though no less demoralising – was a loss to St Kilda that exposed the inexperience of the playing group, with naïve defending snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The narrative that defined Melbourne’s season, however, didn’t come in the form of wins or losses, but rather in the powerful frame of young key forward Jesse Hogan. The 21-year-old made his debut last year after a couple of seasons lost to injury and immediately made an impact with his presence, contested marking and ability to influence the contest. He was the Dees’ leading goal scorer with 44 and finished third in the league for contested marks.

Comings and goings

Some tough list management decisions were made in the off-season, with loyal ruck servant Mark Jamar and hard-nosed midfielder Daniel Cross shown the door. Jumpin’ Jeremy Howe and Jimmy Toumpas found their way to Collingwood and Port Adelaide respectively in one of those deals you need a degree in pure mathematics to figure out; while ex-Pies speedster Ben Kennedy came the other way to Melbourne. Meanwhile, tall forward Jack Fitzpatrick made the move east to kick three goals in Hawthorn’s next premiership side in return for pick 94.

Cross will still be at the club, having taken on an assistant coaching role, while Jamar took up the opportunity to be one of the ‘Essendon 10’, taking up the fabled 53 guernsey so that the Bombers can field a side this year. The ramifications of WADA’s ban have touched Melbourne too, with newly minted Demon Jake Melksham having to sit out the first of his four years with the club under suspension.

The Dees ended the trade period with two picks inside the top ten and used them on Morrish Medal winning midfielder Clayton Oliver and contested marking key forward Sam Weideman, grandson of Collingwood royalty Murray.

Ruckman Mitch King and tall forward Liam Hulett rounded out the Demons’ draft selections, while Rohan Bail, Jordie McKenzie and Aidan Riley were delisted. Viv Michie was also cut but was re-drafted to the rookie list.

Strengths

Melbourne’s midfield, while perhaps not the most cultured or explosive, is a hard-nosed unit that will keep the bastards honest. Led by warrior-king Nathan Jones, with Jack Viney and Angus Brayshaw to do the yeoman’s work, it’s a group that won’t be waltzed through.

The big hope for the Dees is 2014 number two pick Christian Petracca. He’s effectively functioning as a new recruit after a year off with a knee injury, and will be looked to on to add the class on top of that base.

Melbourne also has a fairly strong defensive unit. Tom McDonald, Colin Garland and Lynden Dunn are more than handy in the key posts, while Neville Jetta, Heritier Lumumba and Christian Salem should be able to provide run.

Weaknesses

The Dees’ forward line entries were a complete mess in 2015; they averaged just 72 points per game. That figure placed them third bottom for points scored, which is also where they sat for inside 50s per game. It’s a handy thing that Jesse Hogan is so proficient at making a lot out of a little.

Speaking of Hogan, his consistent contribution will be required, as the key forward stocks after him are thin. Chris Dawes is an honest trier but struggles to get his body right and is arguably not ahead of Pedersen – another trier – in the pecking order, regardless. Jack Watts may have to pinch hit as a third tall.

Max Gawn is another example of a strength papering over a weakness; if his output goes down or he gets injured, Jake Spencer is the next ruckman in line.

What to expect in 2016

Given where they finished last year, Melbourne’s draw could certainly be kinder. They will be happy to have potentially winnable double ups against St Kilda and Gold Coast, but would have liked to have played one of Essendon or Carlton twice. Two matches against Hawthorn, Collingwood and Port Adelaide (both games against Port being interstate due to Melbourne’s home arrangement with Darwin) look tough asks, however.

Another year into the legs of the tyros and some more experience in the bank is the idea. In what is likely Paul Roos’ last season at the helm before Simon Goodwin takes over, the idea will be to push for finals – regression from last season would be a disaster and leave doubts that perhaps the club isn’t that much further along than when Roos took over.

Best 22

B: Neville Jetta – Colin Garland – Lynden Dunn
HB: Christian Salem – Tom McDonald – Heritier Lumumba
C: Angus Brayshaw – Jack Viney – Dom Tyson
HF: Christian Petracca – Cam Pedersen – Jack Watts
F: Jeff Garlett – Jesse Hogan – Dean Kent
FOLL: Max Gawn – Bernie Vince – Nathan Jones
INT: Aaron vandenBerg – Ben Kennedy – Tomas Bugg – Alex Neal-Bullen

The verdict

Another year of steady improvement is likely on the cards as natural development takes place. They need to improve on last year’s seven wins – 10 would be a pass mark.

We have Melbourne finishing 14th.

Steady improvement yet we are going to finish lower than we did last year.

Actually your bottom six is basically identical to what it was last year with a little shuffling. Classic Bigfooty style preview where barely anything changes between seasons.

I legit have no idea how anyone can think we'll go backwards. Almost half of hour best 22 will be AT LEAST twice as experienced in games played terms going into R1 this year as they were last year.

Pretty fair preview but I think it doesn't recognise the possible upside. Dee's could be a huge surprise packet this year. Will rely on key players not getting injured ie Hogan and Gawn, but if those two stay on the park we could finish in the eight. Our on ball brigade will be as hard as a cats head this year and we showed last year that our forward line was dangerous, just didn't get it in often enough. Doing better in the midfield will help.

I legit have no idea how anyone can think we'll go backwards. Almost half of hour best 22 will be AT LEAST twice as experienced in games played terms going into R1 this year as they were last year.

You've got to look at it relative to the other teams.

15th to 8th will be very even this year I think - we could improve but finish lower IMO if we can't convert close games to wins.

Teams like us, Adelaide, Port, Richmond, GC, Dogs and GWS are all on the up and all aiming to finish in the top half of the bottom 8 or sneak into finals.

It's not as easy as 'natural improvement = higher placing'.

Jack Fitzpatrick went east at the end of the season and somehow managed to kick three goals in Hawthorns premiership side? o_O
Probably more of a statement on the fact that Hawthorn generally seem to get 2-3 goals out of pretty much everyone in their forward line ... ****s

As for the preview, some valid points, some a little misguided. From a very small amount of research, I've found that the author has pretty much just used last years ladder, but pushed Gold Coast up, so not the slightest bit scientific ... Also an outcome that has about 2% chance of eventuating. Every year, someone inexplicably drops, someone in explicable climbs, someone goes a bit better than expected, someone a bit worse ... If it was easy to predict, it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining

Couple of gaps in that preview, but I really liked the comment about Gawn and Hogan being strengths papering over a weakness.

With either of those 2 not on the park, we have no rucks and/or no forward targets.

Couple of gaps in that preview, but I really liked the comment about Gawn and Hogan being strengths papering over a weakness.

With either of those 2 not on the park, we have no rucks and/or no forward targets.

While I don't disagree, I don't see it as the massive knock on the teams depth as it may seem. Hogan is a once in a life time forward, and Gawn will be in the top couple of ruckmen in the league by seasons end, so basically, they're irreplaceable no matter what team they're in. North's ruck dept is rubbish without Goldstien, and plenty of teams need to reshape their game plan when their No1 forward goes down.

No doubt it'll hurt a lot if we lose either ... But they're both fit right now

While I don't disagree, I don't see it as the massive knock on the teams depth as it may seem. Hogan is a once in a life time forward, and Gawn will be in the top couple of ruckmen in the league by seasons end, so basically, they're irreplaceable no matter what team they're in. North's ruck dept is rubbish without Goldstien, and plenty of teams need to reshape their game plan when their No1 forward goes down.

No doubt it'll hurt a lot if we lose either ... But they're both fit right now

Great points.

I still think we are weak in both departments compared to other clubs.

Jake Spencer is a capable back up ruckman, and at least we have a couple of young forwards that may develop in 2 or 3 years time.

Hey guys. I wrote this piece, happy to answer questions. You blokes were tough for me to get a bead on personally, I had you I think 13th or 14th. Looking back at it I now I think I missed highlighting the lack of pace in the midfield.

Last edited:
Great points.

I still think we are weak in both departments compared to other clubs.

Jake Spencer is a capable back up ruckman, and at least we have a couple of young forwards that may develop in 2 or 3 years time.
Yeah we are for sure compared to some clubs, but not compared to others, that's why we're a bottom 10 really. In a few years time, we'll likely be a top 8 team, and we'll not feel the pinch nearly as much, the positive is, there is talent developing in those spots, and not a blackhole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys. I wrote this piece, happy to answer questions. You blokes were tough for me to get a bead on personally, I had you I think 13th or 14th. Looking back at it I now I think I missed highlighting the lack of pace in the midfield.

Nice work mate. I have been concerned about speed through the middle, but I'm also noticing that the new game plan won't heavily rely on it anyway.

We need some pace up front but we have it with Kent, Kennedy and Garlett.

A lot will now depend on how well drilled we are coached by Goodwin over the next 18 months.

Another marking forward with presence is the main thing we need now - and hopefully that player is already on the list.

It interests me the worry that everyone has with our forward line. Last year we beat Geelong in Geelong without Hogan. Someone explain that haha. I think its more about a consistent effort from 22 players (like we had in that game vs Geelong) if we can manage that, thats where will improve this year because we have the talent on the list.

Whoever wrote this, it reeks of David King analysis. Go off some well held views instead of doing any real research and cherry picking 1 instance of something as verified proof. Fill the rest with fluff on offseason moves and boom, you'll be working at news ltd. in no time.

If you're going to do this for teams you don't support, do it right. Do some research and come up with a real view not rehashed dross accumulated into a weak article.

Are our forward entries woeful or are the forwards s**t? If the entries are s**t why would you say our midfield who deliver the ball to them are a strength? The Neeld throwaway line had what to do with 2015? As noted before, take the best 2-3 out of any team in the league and suddenly their strengths paper over their cracks as well.

Essentially our season is dependent on the Neal Bullens, Harmeses, Frostseses etc taking a step than our top end players for mine. When we play with pressure across the board we win. If that fails we end up losing by 90 or throwing away unloseable games ala Port. 10th-12th barring a miracle or disaster season. Thanks for stopping by!

Ben Kennedy is a speedster? Hmmm, first ive heard or even seen of this.

Whoever wrote this, it reeks of David King analysis. Go off some well held views instead of doing any real research and cherry picking 1 instance of something as verified proof. Fill the rest with fluff on offseason moves and boom, you'll be working at news ltd. in no time.

If you're going to do this for teams you don't support, do it right. Do some research and come up with a real view not rehashed dross accumulated into a weak article.

Are our forward entries woeful or are the forwards s**t? If the entries are s**t why would you say our midfield who deliver the ball to them are a strength? The Neeld throwaway line had what to do with 2015? As noted before, take the best 2-3 out of any team in the league and suddenly their strengths paper over their cracks as well.

Essentially our season is dependent on the Neal Bullens, Harmeses, Frostseses etc taking a step than our top end players for mine. When we play with pressure across the board we win. If that fails we end up losing by 90 or throwing away unloseable games ala Port. 10th-12th barring a miracle or disaster season. Thanks for stopping by!

Ouch. Bit harsh!

I would say your forward entries are woeful and your forwards are ok. As I said, it's handy that Hogan can make a lot from a little. In regards to the midfield, I said they weren't particularly classy but that they're a group of hard bastards. I didn't say anywhere that they were exquisitely skilled. The Neeld aside was giving broader context to a discussion of the recent past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back