Melbourne FC $1.8M Hole - Woe Is Me

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing that’s intrigued me is how Melbourne FC have handled their predicament of losing $1.8M across two of their most important games, including the Big Freeze at the G.

I’ve read in newspapers & radio their CEO, Gary Pert lamenting their misfortune & how it will eliminate their entire profitability of the year. The reality of playing this marquee fixture & fundraiser at an empty MCG was going to be a financial disaster for all concerned. Damn COVID!

Then, across town (if you know what I mean), you have the contrasting, yet eerily similar situation facing Essendon with Dreamtime at the G. It too was facing a $1M financial hole by playing this annual event at an empty MCG.

However, the contrast in how each club and related parties appeared to handle these unfortunate events have been intriguing.

Late last week, EFC CEO Xavier Campbell & AFL engaged Stadium Managers & government bodies to relocate Dreamtime at the G fixture. NT, Sydney and Perth stakeholders were favoured and asked to table an interest & offers. Sure, Essendon were in WA so naturally WA was logically a favourable option. At least from afar, Essendon were not going to accept its financial hole easily and set about mitigating the financial impact early and with purpose. Perth won the day and EFC partnered with them to create an outstanding outcome that would cycle what would’ve taken place at the G. The Long Walk has 3,000 participants marching into a stadium that is sold out and lit up in a way that will more than rival anything the MCG could muster tomorrow night. Essendon will reap ~$1M and all but eliminate any financial deficit from the carnage going on around us all. Optus Stadium presents itself as a venue equipped to deliver best in class events, the WA government learns the power of chasing and holding major events and the Sir Doug Nicholls round is saved.. Essendon also showcases its community programs, secures unrivalled media coverage in the WA market, delivers great benefits and a spectacular event for its WA fanbase and ensures a huge national TV audience for its sponsors.

This leads to Melbourne. From the outside it appears to have played the ‘woe is me’ card it bit too much. Rather, why didn’t it follow Essendon’s lead this week and start engaging state and stadium bodies to find a way to replicate the Freeze MND spectacular at another packed stadium? It appears to me it was left to media commentators like Gerard Whaitely on SEN to put the pressure on those in charge to stop being defeatist and start imagining the possibilities and importantly, find solutions. Why can’t it be played to a packed Adelaide Oval? What about the SCG? How can these corporate communities be approached? No doubt the TV networks would get behind it.

Maybe Melbourne FC & the AFL are now pursuing the dream to make this a spectacular to remember. Freeze MND deserves a brilliant execution. However, I believe a more proactive approach much earlier could’ve avoided the empty MCG predicament, mitigated financial losses, delivered another fantastic fundraising effort and ensures Neal Daniher and the MFC rightly claim centre stage in a spectacular to remember on Queens Bday.

I think the industry has and should take note of how the Dreamtime game was saved as an example of what can be achieved with a proactive approach. Hopefully the Freeze MND is a spectacular to remember.

At least commercially Melbourne FC can do better.

One thing that’s intrigued me is how Melbourne FC have handled their predicament of losing $1.8M across two of their most important games, including the Big Freeze at the G.

I’ve read in newspapers & radio their CEO, Gary Pert lamenting their misfortune & how it will eliminate their entire profitability of the year. The reality of playing this marquee fixture & fundraiser at an empty MCG was going to be a financial disaster for all concerned. Damn COVID!

Then, across town (if you know what I mean), you have the contrasting, yet eerily similar situation facing Essendon with Dreamtime at the G. It too was facing a $1M financial hole by playing this annual event at an empty MCG.

However, the contrast in how each club and related parties appeared to handle these unfortunate events have been intriguing.

Late last week, EFC CEO Xavier Campbell & AFL engaged Stadium Managers & government bodies to relocate Dreamtime at the G fixture. NT, Sydney and Perth stakeholders were favoured and asked to table an interest & offers. Sure, Essendon were in WA so naturally WA was logically a favourable option. At least from afar, Essendon were not going to accept its financial hole easily and set about mitigating the financial impact early and with purpose. Perth won the day and EFC partnered with them to create an outstanding outcome that would cycle what would’ve taken place at the G. The Long Walk has 3,000 participants marching into a stadium that is sold out and lit up in a way that will more than rival anything the MCG could muster tomorrow night. Essendon will reap ~$1M and all but eliminate any financial deficit from the carnage going on around us all. Optus Stadium presents itself as a venue equipped to deliver best in class events, the WA government learns the power of chasing and holding major events and the Sir Doug Nicholls round is saved.. Essendon also showcases its community programs, secures unrivalled media coverage in the WA market, delivers great benefits and a spectacular event for its WA fanbase and ensures a huge national TV audience for its sponsors.

This leads to Melbourne. From the outside it appears to have played the ‘woe is me’ card it bit too much. Rather, why didn’t it follow Essendon’s lead this week and start engaging state and stadium bodies to find a way to replicate the Freeze MND spectacular at another packed stadium? It appears to me it was left to media commentators like Gerard Whaitely on SEN to put the pressure on those in charge to stop being defeatist and start imagining the possibilities and importantly, find solutions. Why can’t it be played to a packed Adelaide Oval? What about the SCG? How can these corporate communities be approached? No doubt the TV networks would get behind it.

Maybe Melbourne FC & the AFL are now pursuing the dream to make this a spectacular to remember. Freeze MND deserves a brilliant execution. However, I believe a more proactive approach much earlier could’ve avoided the empty MCG predicament, mitigated financial losses, delivered another fantastic fundraising effort and ensures Neal Daniher and the MFC rightly claim centre stage in a spectacular to remember on Queens Bday.

I think the industry has and should take note of how the Dreamtime game was saved as an example of what can be achieved with a proactive approach. Hopefully the Freeze MND is a spectacular to remember.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Essendon and Richmond traditionally split the gate from Dreamtime, no matter who is actually fixtured as the home team?

OK, it seems to me you’re making wild guesses about a situation where you don’t know any details of what actually happened, in a poorly disguised humble brag about your club.

Is that more sophisticated?
Um no.. Don’t take it the wrong way. I’m just pointing out my observations of what I’ve read and heard in the public domain the last week or two. Of course there’s hopefully progress being made behind closed doors. However my criticism was my observations only. You can rightly have an alternative view, that’s what makes the world great. Diversity of opinions!!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Essendon and Richmond traditionally split the gate from Dreamtime, no matter who is actually fixtured as the home team?
That was my impression until this week as well. The EFC CEO on several media platforms this week has been questioned around the financials and not once indicated they split the takings or have indications that things are divided up. Also, it feels like Essendon if the two clubs has done the majority of the heavy lifting in bedding it down which possibly supports the view they don’t split.

So my gut feel is they may not.. But I’m not certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a key difference between the two games. Although they're just regular home and away games, Dreamtime is somewhat of an event. Queens Birthday is just a bunch of bozos going down a slide.

Also with the EFC v Tigs ..McGowan would’ve dispatched orders to help make sure everything is green lit quickly for this game to happen here at events central Perth.

Gary Pert is thinking miles ahead of you.

What brings in the most $ for clubs? Premierships.

Where is the grand final played? MCG.

Where does the MFC CEO want the club to play as many games as possible? I'll leave you to connect the dots from here.

The OP really thinks Gerard Whateley was the only person who thought to get the Queens Birthday game relocated and not the Melbourne admin?

Until a few days ago there remained a chance it could be at the G with a limited crowd. Gerard went early with his claim of moving it but it didn't take long at all for there to be press stories that both the Adelaide Oval and SCG were keen to host the game.

At the same time as North are planning 3 weeks in a row in Hobart and St Kilda are trying to move every game to Cairns....do you think Melbourne weren't trying to get something worked out?

There's now a weekend in which to promote the game before ticket sales start. The one thing that helped the Dreamtime game was Essendon beating West Coast and playing great footy. If there's something Melbourne need to promote it's probably a Collingwood win against the Crows!

Lets talk about Carlton. They were given the choice of hosting us at the SCG with perhaps at most 10k spectators in attendance, or hosting us at Optus with 50k+, treating the largest non WCE/Freo fan base in the state to a 'home' game and making much more $$$, admittedly at the likely cost of an Eagles win. Guess what they chose?

Lets talk about Carlton. They were given the choice of hosting us at the SCG with perhaps at most 10k spectators in attendance, or hosting us at Optus with 50k+, treating the largest non WCE/Freo fan base in the state to a 'home' game and making much more $$$, admittedly at the likely cost of an Eagles win. Guess what they chose?

The (more likely) win. And so they should.

Even in covid times this is still a sporting competition and not an accounting conference.

You probably are correct in most of what you posted and im sure Carlton would have got alot of support at optus due to their large WA following supporter base and would most likely have made alot more cash.

Where i dont agree with your post is they probably would still beat the eagles this week where they play with the eagles current form and injuries

Every club in the league is having this issue. West Coast lost a Derby, Freo a big match, Brisbane early matches.

The tough one with Alice is we get it due to the sponsorship arrangement with the NT. That $700k isn’t from gate fees.

QB hurts, we will make up some revenue thankfully but it’s another ouch.

But at the same time the club has run profits for years (if small) and is in a good place, and has just cracked 50k members for only the second time. We will make it up, but it is a painful one for the financials.

Being a top 4 side with bankable talent will help. So will the Victorian Government limiting lockdowns fixing the issues causing the ticketing problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back