Melbourne vs North - The Battle For The Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would waltz into your midfield mate. Better than ANY Melbourne on-baller, and will widen that gap by streets as the seasons go by. An absolute certainty to be ranked among the elite in a very short period of time. Only injuries due to a young immature and growing body have stopped him so far.

Will be our next captain in my opinion.

haha mate you have no idea... martin is an elite talent no doubt... but if he was 24 and had the season he had just had, he wouldn't be considered a star and everyone knows it, same with scully, trengove and bastinac... if the had seasons of around 20 disposal average they would be considered decent players (this only applies to the last 4 years or so when possession averages have sky rocketed) you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise

oh and trengove and scully will be EAAASILY better than martin ;):cool:;)

Given you're so certain, based on what?

Melbourne have had a lot of higher draft picks, which I think is what gets them attention, and we continue to have the after-effects of the Laidley-years' stigma, but beyond these simple and simplistic impressions, what in-depth assessments do you have?

If you don't have them, that's fine. Just curious if your view goes beyond the vein of a quick retort, or if there's more to it.

(Same could be asked of James Hird too, of course.)

The equation is simple. There is no place for clubs living hand to mouth every day. The only success you've had was based around the greatest player ever on your list. I dont see anyone on your list even half as good. Almost complete lack of decent key position players, an average coach, very limited support staff, and the constant threat of bankruptsy and having to sell home games to stay afloat.

9th is a good finish, and you should cherish years like this.

Would waltz into your midfield mate. Better than ANY Melbourne on-baller, and will widen that gap by streets as the seasons go by. An absolute certainty to be ranked among the elite in a very short period of time. Only injuries due to a young immature and growing body have stopped him so far.

Will be our next captain in my opinion.

I never said he wouldn't waltz into our midfield and he would be one of our best, although I'd take Sylvia and Davey over him at the moment and Scully and Trengove for the future. He's no star yet though. He wouldn't even be in the top 50 players in the league and I wouldn't call them all stars anyway.

The equation is simple. There is no place for clubs living hand to mouth every day. The only success you've had was based around the greatest player ever on your list. I dont see anyone on your list even half as good. Almost complete lack of decent key position players, an average coach, very limited support staff, and the constant threat of bankruptsy and having to sell home games to stay afloat.

LOL You've just absolutley canned the club that produced your next senior coach , genius.

The Sydney Footbal Club should be the last mob to talk about relocation and financial assistance you fly-by-nighter. What does SMFC on the back of Kirkys jumper stand for? Go back to supporting The Roosters.

By the way Darren Jolly plays for Collingwood now so pls update.:)

Didn't know Duck played in the 75 and 77 flags too.

Is there notyhing the man couldn't do?

Jeez you're an imbecile.

settle down buddy, clearly Norths most successful years were with Carey, this thread has turned to an absolute s**t-fest

The side Collingwood fielded last week was younger than both Norths and Melbournes. :thumbsu:

The Sydney Footbal Club should be the last mob to talk about...financial assistance

Why? The financial assistance received came after years of paying millions of dollars of licence fees. Just as the extra hundreds of thousands of dollars North receives more than Sydney each year is balancing out a bad stadium deal, having the operating costs covered would be balancing out the vacuuming of cash out of the club over the years before.

The side Collingwood fielded last week was younger than both Norths and Melbournes. :thumbsu:

that is possible, melbourne and north both had young first 22 players out

in melbournes case, grimes, gysberts, petterd and both teams age lifted considerably by veterans, in melbournes case JMac 34 and Bruce 30 (Green also 29 but he we still be best 22 next year, Bruce may or may not be)... North had harvey

but could you please provide evidence at least???

Didn't know Duck played in the 75 and 77 flags too.

Is there notyhing the man couldn't do?

Jeez you're an imbecile.

Truth hurts doesnt it. Pathetic attempt to hitch North onto the Melbourne bandwagon with this thread.

Youve done expectionally well this year. Exceeded all expectations, but lets not get carried away. If you can repeat ninth next year, you'll be doing well.

How much longer is boomer got ?

Doctor jolly, ha! What a 5 star clown! There's no room for clubs living hand to mouth blah blah blah. Mate the afl's had it's hand up your clubs arse for 20 years, or is it 30 years? You've had the largest financial handouts in the history of the game mate. Bet u r wrapped about GWS and GC, finally another club that the afl has/will spoon and breast feed, wipe their arse etc etc.....
Melbourne will be good, North Melbourne will be good....south Melbourne are dead!
Are you one of those dudes who goes," woo-ooooooo" when the ump throws the ball in still?After 20+ years ffs!

settle down buddy, clearly Norths most successful years were with Carey, this thread has turned to an absolute s**t-fest

In the 70s era of dominance we played consecutive GFs from 74 to 78, winning two.

In the 90s we played consecutive Prelims from 94 - 2000, winning two.

We had two Brownlow medallists in the 70s run and only one in the 90s one who had it taken off him.

They were as equal as each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Hird had some interesting comments on these two teams on 'On the Couch'.

He said North are probably in a better position heading into next year, and will probably finish higher than Melbourne in 2011. However, he then went on to say in the long term Melbourne had more depth and promise.

Interesting thoughts...

P.S. Sweetleftfoot....pack it in m8. You're embarrassing yourself.

Hird gave his opinion that he felt North would be better in 2011 but Melbourne would be better after 2012 because "Melbourne have a bigger upside due to their depth of players."

But, he also thought Richmond had more of an upside than us for 2010 last year so you have to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I think crystal-balling is a fairly useless exercise. I have NFI who we will trade for or draft and how our players will develop or how that will compare with other clubs.

On Footy Classified they talked up our young list and listed the more obvious group with their age and where they were picked as follows:

Swallow (23/43)
*Hansen (22/3)
*Adams (22/rookie)
#Urquhart (22/21)
*Anthony (22/43)
*Thomas (22/53)
*Tarrant (21/15)
Greenwood (21/32)
*Black (20/25)
Wright (20/27)
Bastinac (19/21)
Cunnington (19/5)
*Ziebell (19/9)

They also missed these four who were fairly obvious:
Goldstein (21/37)
Warren (21/69)
Campbell (23/rookie)
Garlett (21/rookie)

* represents those that didn't play against Melbourne due to injury and # is Urqus who wasn't selected. Black is still 19, was a minor oversight. :p

There is also another group of promising looking kids like Speight, Kennedy, O'Keefe, Daw, etc which are still very much unknowns or work in progress players that we knew would require a bit of development that have looked promising.

Hirdy may be right, who knows how the different players will develop or who else comes and goes. But, I am happy with what we have and the direction we are heading.

On the Herald Sun site.

North vs Melbourne
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/match?matchid=1111112048067

Collingwood vs Hawthorn

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/match?matchid=1111112048058

Doesn't mean much, but it does put the "Unf my team is so much younger than yours!" wankfest in perspective.

If you look at our side: Edwards(26), Pratt(27), Harding(29) and Jones(29) were not in our choice team, most got to play more games than they would have otherwise played largely due to injuries and it was 19 to 22 year olds that were playing ahead of them.

The only older player that would be in the best side that wasn't playing is Petrie who is 27.

When we played Collingwood our average age was 23 years 5 months average and 58.8 games of experience and Collingwood's was 24 years 7 months and 95.8 games experience. We had 5 more players in the 0-50 game bracket and Collingwood had 1 more in the 100-150 game bracket and 4 more in the 150+ game bracket.

It is a lot to concede.

Scott came out and said the season was a failure.

Don't try and talk logic to Dr Troll, he is more interested in getting people upset than he is of not talking crap.

Feel free to detail them.

you must have sandy earholes of you don't know of the financial and draft support the swans have received over the past 30 years.

one that hasn't been reported is that in sydney was given $300K to help with their marketing and comms dept earlier in the year. add to that the priority sydney and seq have on a number of positions within the afl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back