Player Sponsorship MENS 2018 - Jaidyn Stephenson. More sponsors needed. Join now and get the badge!

Remove this Banner Ad

Blair doesn't count, even if you dress him up in a pointy hat and curly toed shoes
The only reason I’d take him is to ensure he doesn’t get selected again

Morganashlee I know you think you won the prize randomly and you're allowed to get as cut as you can and snaffle a souvenir - you CANNOT.
You were selected by BF's finest to represent out board and perform a top secret duty.
You are our undercover super sleuth and your mission is to ascertain who's going/coming and staying on our list.
To perform this task at your optimum you must remain sober - this means 2 drinks in the first hour and one every hour after that.
I know that sounds archaic however, there is a bright side.
As mentioned earlier in the thread Jordy :sparklingheart: is unable to drive ;) and if by some chance you decide to follow a path tread by a couple of Collingwood greats, (Pants and Banks) you'll be in a reasonable enough condition to do so AND you'll get your souvenir after all.
Good luck!

Morganashlee I know you think you won the prize randomly and you're allowed to get as cut as you can and snaffle a souvenir - you CANNOT.
You were selected by BF's finest to represent out board and perform a top secret duty.
You are our undercover super sleuth and your mission is to ascertain who's going/coming and staying on our list.
To perform this task at your optimum you must remain sober - this means 2 drinks in the first hour and one every hour after that.
As mentioned earlier in the thread Jordy :sparklingheart: is unable to drive ;) and if by some chance you decide to follow a path tread by a couple of Collingwood greats, (Pants and Banks) you'll be in a reasonable enough condition to do so AND you'll get your souvenir after all.
Good luck!
Jesus, no pressure!

Good luck!
Just don’t take the bus (as the driver!)

We are still sitting outside and it’s freezing. I think this is part of some hazing process.

manicmagpie are you here?

Allright, just got back from the Mid Season Review (well, I was just back when I started typing this very long post!)

It was a freezing night but the sky was doing its best viral promotion of Pink's upcoming Rod Laver Arena gigs:

View media item 700
When I arrived at the Glasshouse Aish was doing agility and change of direction tests out on the field - he was looking very good so hopefully a return is not far off.

View media item 701
We were finally let inside the building where I met up with Morganashlee - great to actually meet someone from here in real life!

The review took place inside the wonderful theaterette - a terrific facility. Taking us through the review were Gary Hocking and Brad Gotch. Both coaches introduced themselves and gave a brief overview of their particular roles. It was very interesting to hear Gotch talk about coming back to the club after an absence and identifying that there wasn't enough emphasis on upskilling the coaching group and providing mentorship to them.

Gary Hocking explained about his role developing strategies and focusing on the opposition. He used last week's GC materials to show us what the players see leading up to a game. They go through likely players/structure as well as showing footage of the way that the opposition like to both attack and defend. These are boiled down to a handful of key phrases (i.e. "trigger handballs" and "back shoulder") to keep it simple for playing group. Hocking explained that they like to keep to a 80/20 rule with players - 80% focused on our own football, 20% on opposition.

View media item 702
Brad Gotch then took the stage to go through some of the development side to the playing group. He showed a graph with all AFL listed players who are currently playing VFL and their areas of focus for improvement. If you zoom in you should be able to read it clearly. He was proud of immediate improvement in C Brown and Crocker once these areas were identified. Interested to note that McClarty's hearing issue does have some effect on the field - apparently he can find it difficult to hear some of the talk from teammates.

View media item 703
They opened the floor to questions - all of which were actually good and to the point.

Some that I remember:

- Hocking conceded that in the game against Geelong we were too focused on them and not on playing our own game, estimating the 80/20 rule was more like 60/40 which inhibited us from taking the game on. (kudos to Morganashlee for the question)

- Moore trained really well and has a very small chance of playing AFL this week, but VFL seen as better choice for managing him.

- Varcoe probably needs another week in VFL. Hocking thought Varcoe was holding back last week.

- Mihochek an option for down back but they are impressed with work up forward

- Oxley a chance to come into a reshuffled backline

- Major focus of review this week from Bucks was on the second half fade out against GC.

- Gotch a big believer in Callum Brown and is spruiking for him to come into side (he isn't on Match Committee)

- Coaches are responsible for different groups (e.g. forwards, mids, backs) but are not precious about talking to/about each other's players. Chemistry of coaching group very good.

I did record the whole thing so when I get a chance to listen again I'll post anything else that sounds important that's slipped my mind for the moment.

The important bit:

The themes that came through again and again were:

1. Collingwood footy. We have a brand and our main focus is continuing to play our footy (with whatever players are available).

2. Simplicity/roles. Everyone has their defined role and the messages to each player about those roles are delivered as simply as possible.

3. Upskilling for players and coaches alike. Never stop learning. Club has brought in teachers and coaches from other sports and other areas of life for advice on best ways to communicate simply and effectively.

That's it. Thanks to Magpie Girl and everyone else who organises the sponsorship for the opportunity to go along. It was a really interesting evening. Anyone who has questions, feel free to ask away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that was fantastic. manicmagpie has covered a heap but I already started writing this so you can bloody read it twice :p

We were taken inside and given a drink (non alcoholic Anzacday), then proceeded into the theatre where Gary Hocking and Brad Gotch were on the stage.

They explained their backgrounds and coaching history and what their roles were at the club. A package of the season so far was shown, which became more enjoyable as it went on. After this I think we were quite up and about as a group.

Gary explained that part of his role is opposition analysis so he took us through what the boys were shown last week. How the Suns set up, how they move the ball and how they defend. It was really interesting to see the vision and gets some understanding of how they break it down for the boys to consume.

Gotchy went through the mid year focus areas that some of the VFL players had set from themselves prior to the bye

Blair: preparation to ensure he is ready to perform at his best. Hamstring back in two weeks
Callum Brown: drive legs through contest more and kick more when appropriate
Tyler Brown: defensive positioning and aggressive body work
Crocker: finishing off hard work
Lunch: playing to strengths more consistently. Out work opponent
Magden: consistency upon return
McClarty: aerial presence. Be a better team mate (this was explained as relating to his hearing on field)
Murphy: win or halve 1v1’s
Murray: defensive intent and contest
Oxley: impact offensively off the back of good defensive positioning
Smith: impact on games upon return through playing role
Sier: transitioning away from stoppages
Wills: kicking more out of stoppage and driving legs. Improve SNAP/1st phase defensive principles and transition.

They spoke about each player briefly and had high praise for Cal. He went up to the Gold Coast as an emergency, flew back early Sunday morning and played a very impressive game in the vfl. I’d be expecting he will be in the mix for a return very soon.

I won’t go on as everything else has been covered in the post above. I really enjoyed the night and am so grateful to have had the chance to go. Thanks Magpie Girl so much for all you do.

Allright, just got back from the Mid Season Review (well, I was just back when I started typing this very long post!)

It was a freezing night but the sky was doing its best viral promotion of Pink's upcoming Rod Laver Arena gigs:

View media item 700
When I arrived at the Glasshouse Aish was doing agility and change of direction tests out on the field - he was looking very good so hopefully a return is not far off.

View media item 701
We were finally let inside the building where I met up with Morganashlee - great to actually meet someone from here in real life!

The review took place inside the wonderful theaterette - a terrific facility. Taking us through the review were Gary Hocking and Brad Gotch. Both coaches introduced themselves and gave a brief overview of their particular roles. It was very interesting to hear Gotch talk about coming back to the club after an absence and identifying that there wasn't enough emphasis on upskilling the coaching group and providing mentorship to them.

Gary Hocking explained about his role developing strategies and focusing on the opposition. He used last week's GC materials to show us what the players see leading up to a game. They go through likely players/structure as well as showing footage of the way that the opposition like to both attack and defend. These are boiled down to a handful of key phrases (i.e. "trigger handballs" and "back shoulder") to keep it simple for playing group. Hocking explained that they like to keep to a 80/20 rule with players - 80% focused on our own football, 20% on opposition.

View media item 702
Brad Gotch then took the stage to go through some of the development side to the playing group. He showed a graph with all AFL listed players who are currently playing VFL and their areas of focus for improvement. If you zoom in you should be able to read it clearly. He was proud of immediate improvement in C Brown and Crocker once these areas were identified. Interested to note that McClarty's hearing issue does have some effect on the field - apparently he can find it difficult to hear some of the talk from teammates.

View media item 703
They opened the floor to questions - all of which were actually good and to the point.

Some that I remember:

- Hocking conceded that in the game against Geelong we were too focused on them and not on playing our own game, estimating the 80/20 rule was more like 60/40 which inhibited us from taking the game on. (kudos to Morganashlee for the question)

- Moore trained really well and has a very small chance of playing AFL this week, but VFL seen as better choice for managing him.

- Varcoe probably needs another week in VFL. Hocking thought Varcoe was holding back last week.

- Mihochek an option for down back but they are impressed with work up forward

- Oxley a chance to come into a reshuffled backline

- Major focus of review this week from Bucks was on the second half fade out against GC.

- Gotch a big believer in Callum Brown and is spruiking for him to come into side (he isn't on Match Committee)

- Coaches are responsible for different groups (e.g. forwards, mids, backs) but are not precious about talking to/about each other's players. Chemistry of coaching group very good.

I did record the whole thing so when I get a chance to listen again I'll post anything else that sounds important that's slipped my mind for the moment.

The important bit:

The themes that came through again and again were:

1. Collingwood footy. We have a brand and our main focus is continuing to play our footy (with whatever players are available).

2. Simplicity/roles. Everyone has their defined role and the messages to each player about those roles are delivered as simply as possible.

3. Upskilling for players and coaches alike. Never stop learning. Club has brought in teachers and coaches from other sports and other areas of life for advice on best ways to communicate simply and effectively.

That's it. Thanks to Magpie Girl and everyone else who organises the sponsorship for the opportunity to go along. It was a really interesting evening. Anyone who has questions, feel free to ask away.

Awesome stuff mate......glad you enjoyed it.

Did your partner in crime leave De Goey alone? :p

I was very well behaved!
Great post, your write up.
Very much appreciated.

De Goey told me you’re his second favourite poster :)
(This may be not true.)

My three stooges......everyone is in good spirits today at the Holden Centre :)

98757760-70C2-4159-A891-E90F408FEA02.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back