Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Not 3rd youngest anymore with the additions last year. Now 7th.
Is age relative to performance? Because I reckon we’re likely to be about the 7th worst team.

Brad’s eight year plan and getting Goldy all makes sense, when we’re the oldest team we’ll be the best!

Oh My God Reaction GIF

We've mostly had to backfill the team to get many of those 27+ age bracket players. We were sorely lacking in experience whereas a team like West Coast has a lot of high quality mature players that have won a Premiership so can load up on kids (they're also extremely s**t because of it and this has almost killed North).

i don't really think we can be called 'rebuilding'. we've taken one top five pick in the last 8 years. we're just treading water in mid-table. same as it ever was.

by definition, you have to have built to rebuild.

i don't really think we can be called 'rebuilding'. we've taken one top five pick in the last 8 years. we're just treading water in mid-table. same as it ever was.

It is still a rebuild even if you are not right at the bottom.

FFS - all this debating about rebuilds gives me the sh1ts. It’s pretty clear what’s going on:
WCE - knock down, new build whilst staying in swampy land
Haw - knocked down, dug a lot of holes, moved to a new site then dropped phone in frustration when they couldn’t beat us
North - sold normal sized house for one with lowered ceilings that only mid fielders can get under
Ess - refresh of most internals with a new layout and an extra room

FFS - all this debating about rebuilds gives me the sh1ts. It’s pretty clear what’s going on:
WCE - knock down, new build whilst staying in swampy land
Haw - knocked down, dug a lot of holes, moved to a new site then dropped phone in frustration when they couldn’t beat us
North - sold normal sized house for one with lowered ceilings that only mid fielders can get under
Ess - refresh of most internals with a new layout and an extra room
which is a caddy shack.

People get too obsessed about high picks because the odds are that they will be top players. But a top 5 pick only gives you a 33% chance at an AA level player.

Essendon have managed to find AA level players like Merrett, Langford, Ridley and Martin in the comparative bargain bin. (Wright a really good FF for a 4th rd pick) Plus a bunch of picks in the 8-14 range which have about a 20% chance of becoming a star

The list is in a relatively healthy spot. It just has some holes. Which is understandable being that far under the cap and giving Sheil 1M a year to play VFL

But the list is in a decent spot overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's an Essendon rebuild so:

- two NGA KPPs drafted for year 1 of the rebuild were delisted at the end of year 2. Of course one is thought of so highly by the reigning premier that it signed him as an SSP selection during a 12 week injury recovery to start its premiership defence. Both played almost every week in the VFL for 2 years;

- a 28 yo KPP who has been injured for 75% of game time for 4 previous seasons was given a 2 year deal and then missed the whole first year of that deal (due to injury). Re-signed within weeks of NGAs being delisted;

- a dud 7th year KPF was signed for 3 years within weeks of the NGAs being delisted;

- a promising rookie with grunt / pseudo KPF is delisted after 2 years. He now plays for Fremantle;

- committed 2 list spots to young KPPs injury ravaged over 3 to 4 previous seasons;

- a playmaker who can kick the eyes of out a game is shipped to Hawthorn because we couldn't find a place for him;

- an average 24 year old offensive wingman is signed, so we can move another offensive wingman to half back;

- a slow 26 year old small forward is signed as an FA;

- a dud/slow small forward is re-signed for 2 years;

- a fan favourite gun who is past it is brought out of retirement despite not having VAFA B grade fitness;

- 2 to 3 nippy small forwards on the list fit to play at any given time don't play;

- s**t 30 year old former captain, whose career is best defined by a single overrated season 10 years ago, plays every game he is fit to play. This could explain part of reason playmaker now plays for Hawthorn;

- 35 yo ruckman signed and will play every game he is fit to play;

- a gun mid no one wanted is unnecessarily signed to a 6 year deal.

I guess it is all necessary for the culture!?

but what if you stayed mid-table the entire time?

and then what if you kept calling it rebuilding for 10 years?
Then it is bad rebuilding but it is still rebuilding. Richmond did exactly that. It is very clear they drew a line after 2020 and started to make changes again and then sacked the coach as it turned out he was not the guy. Now Scott has started over. It is another rebuild.

- two NGA KPPs drafted for year 1 of the rebuild were delisted at the end of year 2. Of course one is thought of so highly by the reigning premier that it signed him as an SSP selection during a 12 week injury recovery to start its premiership defence. Both played almost every week in the VFL for 2 years;

- a 28 yo KPP who has been injured for 75% of game time for 4 previous seasons was given a 2 year deal and then missed the whole first year of that deal (due to injury). Re-signed within weeks of NGAs being delisted;

- a dud 7th year KPF was signed for 3 years within weeks of the NGAs being delisted;

- a promising rookie with grunt / pseudo KPF is delisted after 2 years. He now plays for Fremantle;

- committed 2 list spots to young KPPs injury ravaged over 3 to 4 previous seasons;

- a playmaker who can kick the eyes of out a game is shipped to Hawthorn because we couldn't find a place for him;

- an average 24 year old offensive wingman is signed, so we can move another offensive wingman to half back;

- a fan favourite gun who is past it is brought out of retirement despite not having VAFA B grade fitness;

- 2 to 3 nippy small forwards on the list fit to play at any given time don't play;

- s**t 30 year old former captain, whose career is best defined by a single overrated season 10 years ago, plays every game he is fit to play. This could explain part of reason playmaker now plays for Hawthorn;

Serious question, why do you follow the club that gives you so much grief?

It must be exhausting to find every aspect of the football club a negative and then the spew that anger on a forum.

I can understand some negative feedback, thats life. But if someone didn’t know any better and read purely your posts, the club should fold.

The Dodoro thread is not the Brad Scott thread.

Serious question, why do you follow the club that gives you so much grief?

It must be exhausting to find every aspect of the football club a negative and then the spew that anger on a forum.

I can understand some negative feedback, thats life. But if someone didn’t know any better and read purely your posts, the club should fold.

You project anger. It's not anger and virtually never is.

I suspended emotional investment until the team is worth it. It happened about 10 years ago and it's very liberating. I even enjoyed watching my first live game against Hawthorn in years just to see the bigger picture again.

It's my team. How do you follow another team? How does it mean anything when times are good,?

How do you follow something that is no good by having unrealistic expectations of the mediocrity? All of the disappointment, abusing players, actual anger you see people post during games. My memories of people at games ranting and raving which doest seem to happen as much anu more because it is not as socially acceptable. That looks exhausting to me.

Whos this one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back