Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Two weeks in a row the boys have stood up for their mates if there was a scuffle on. You wouldn't have seen that under Dyson a couple of years ago. It's not football, but it does show an attitude shift which points to a culture shift. So while it sounds wanky, standing our ground and playing on the edge (ie., just within the rule of what's acceptable) is a welcome change to me.
This day and age free kicks are given away so quickly

Keep the edginess up Brad, in fact dial it up more. We're not contesting this season, might as well build a combative culture and sort out who's in and who's out.

I'm okay with it occasionally. I look at it as a kind of long term investment in the psyche of the team and our opponents when they think of how aggressively we'll play.
The hardness and the firmness and what you're talking about with being a 'nice' football team, it's not about giving away free kicks or showing full-blown aggression

Slight over correction but I don't mind it.

Also coming from a few guys who aren't traditionally minded that way, so it's a little forced but hopefully starts to drive a mindset change.

Sometimes you need to over correct for a normal level to settle in as a habit.

Ralph on AFL Tonight

The whole mood of the summer was that we have an edge because were too easy to play against, all about being stronger in the contest

Buckley likes what we did and we were just bested by a superior team

Brown saying that it's good Brad put it on the agenda as this club has stood for nothing for 15 years, starting to play in the manner of their coach

Ralph on AFL Tonight

The whole mood of the summer was that we have an edge because were too easy to play against, all about being stronger in the contest

Brown saying that it's good Brad put it on the agenda as this club has stood for nothing for 15 years, starting to play in the manner of their coach
But it made Tom Papley sad UwU

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ralph on AFL Tonight

He didn’t even say superior. He said a team that’s a bit better than us.

Just thought I’d correct that part as it speaks to how Buckley is rating our performance.

I'm on board if he's going to get that level or pressure and intensity out of the players.

This last week is the first time it's felt like we've got 'the' Brad Scott or at least the hard edged competitor of his playing days. Essendon's history is not that of a hard club. We've been very good because we've had amazing players, during the Coleman, Reynolds, Hutchison era(s) for example, but over a period spanning about 65 years now we've been rubbish without a lunatic back pocket plumber imprinting his personality on the players.

I think Scott underestimates his instincts as a young coach. Mouthguards to training after a week one was a good call.

All good teams have good pressure at the player and contest. We have definitely been lacking there and should be a non-negotiable.

I think this is the idea behind the "Edge". Not so much argy bargy, you have to back up aggression with wins and be difficult to play against. This includes being hard to score against.

There was lots to like about the Swans game but the final margin blowout and the ease of their scoring is our achilies heel.

If this aggression is only argy bargy against opposition then Papley's comments are spot on and all we will do is waste energy and give away unnecessary free kicks.

Like that Scott has put this front and centre and recruiting needs to back up this mantra with strong at the ball types.

Two weeks in a row the boys have stood up for their mates if there was a scuffle on. You wouldn't have seen that under Dyson a couple of years ago. It's not football, but it does show an attitude shift which points to a culture shift. So while it sounds wanky, standing our ground and playing on the edge (ie., just within the rule of what's acceptable) is a welcome change to me.
Any change is a good thing for this club.
More of the same will merely give us more of the same.
It's the same olds' way.

All good teams have good pressure at the player and contest. We have definitely been lacking there and should be a non-negotiable.

I think this is the idea behind the "Edge". Not so much argy bargy, you have to back up aggression with wins and be difficult to play against. This includes being hard to score against.

There was lots to like about the Swans game but the final margin blowout and the ease of their scoring is our achilies heel.

If this aggression is only argy bargy against opposition then Papley's comments are spot on and all we will do is waste energy and give away unnecessary free kicks.

Like that Scott has put this front and centre and recruiting needs to back up this mantra with strong at the ball types.
Spot on, MiguelM

I love hearing Sydney sook about it and I'm looking forward to other teams sook about it. As a long-suffering Essendon supporter, I'm more than happy for the team to show some intensity for a change.

A good insight into things from Archie Perkins:

Perkins said the “Essendon edge” that Scott referred to in the lead-up to the game was a theme for the season rather than just the Sydney match.

“It was a very hot [and] contested game. I think it would have been good to watch. But there was certainly no directive to go out and hit guys off the ball,” Perkins said.

“I don’t think there were any examples of that, really. I think for the most part of the game, stats-wise, we were ahead in contested ball and clearance, so we’ll be looking forward to playing them again later in the year.

“[Being more physical] is going to be a theme throughout the whole year, not just for the game at the weekend. It’s been a focus throughout the whole pre-season to really come out in the opening quarter and take it up to the opposition, [and] be really fierce and tenacious around the ball.

“I think in previous years, we haven’t been like that – we’ve been a bit reactive – so we want to really come after the opposition from the opening bounce and set the tone in that regard.

“I think our supporters want to see from the opening bounce [us] being really tough around the ball, so I think they can expect that every week from us,” Perkins said.

“We’re just looking to be a lot more consistent in games … and bring up our sort of mediocre performances, raise that a bit, to keep us in games throughout the whole year.”
Sounds pretty ******* good to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back