Delisted Michael Barlow [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised that North Melbourne don't pick him up, he would be a top 5 player in their team lol
You're probably wrong anyway but why would they pick up a player that improves their list for the short term only? North should have a strategy of finishing as low as possible to bring in the best new talent they can. Bringing in players now would cost them better draft picks. This is why someone like Ahern is so good for them.

You're probably wrong anyway but why would they pick up a player that improves their list for the short term only? North should have a strategy of finishing as low as possible to bring in the best new talent they can. Bringing in players now would cost them better draft picks. This is why someone like Ahern is so good for them.

It was a cheeky shot at North, my comment has no basis of relevancy

I hope the Blues take him on a three year contract as DFA to help Cripps.

Carl said:
DFA. 4/5th rounder if a clubs wants him before being delisted. Will not be at Freo next year the way he was treated this year, time to rebuild. Hopefully he can find another club.
Shut up Carl.

Sorry for telling you how it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashcroft referred to him as a depth midfielder. So perhaps he wouldn't be.
Ablett (if fit), Touk Miller, Swallow (if fit), Lyons, Hanley (better at half back), Aaron Hall (if not soft), Fiorini, maybe Lonergan. Then should get at least 1 ready to play mid from picks 4, 6, 8, 10.

They have some decent players there who you'd pick ahead of Barlow but with Rischitelli coming back from a knee and Swallow and Ablett's injury history surely they'd look to add a mature player. The extra leadership would be handy as well, no matter what side he was in. Probably look to play him 12-15 games max but I think Barlow just makes a lot of sense for the Suns.

Ablett (if fit), Touk Miller, Swallow (if fit), Lyons, Hanley (better at half back), Aaron Hall (if not soft), Fiorini, maybe Lonergan. Then should get at least 1 ready to play mid from picks 4, 6, 8, 10.

They have some decent players there who you'd pick ahead of Barlow but with Rischitelli coming back from a knee and Swallow and Ablett's injury history surely they'd look to add a mature player. The extra leadership would be handy as well, no matter what side he was in. Probably look to play him 12-15 games max but I think Barlow just makes a lot of sense for the Suns.

Miller, Lyons, Fiorini and Lonergan? No way on earth would I pick those guys ahead of Barlow (purely on merit, e.g. not age). He would be a top 4-5 mid at GC. Like he would be at a lot of clubs, including some that think they are in contention (e.g. WC, Geelong). List makeup needs to be factored in (e.g. inside/outside balance, skill/speed of other mids, age profiles, etc.), but he would be a great free pickup for many clubs.

Freo happens to have a heap of midfield stars, plus kids we want to play, so it seems Barlow is on the outer. Which is really sad to me. To think we are instead keeping guys like D.Pearce and Suban is just mind-numbing. Still clinging to the faint chance that we give him another contract.

Already got Miles

FWIW I'd take him

Barlow is a long way ahead of Miles. Barlow is a more effective mid. He is a great inside ball getter. He is an accumulator. Miles on the other hand, he isn't as effective on the inside anymore. He is regressing. There is a reason why Hardwick targeted Prestia - and Caddy. But even then, I think Barlow is a better contested player than either of those guys. He would automatically free up Martin, and he can effectively tag. Barlow would be a good fit for the Tiges.

Adelaide, Carlton, Brisbane, Geelong, GC, Hawks could all do with him IMO

Adelaide: Lyons out, no Gibbs. Would love to see him go there.

Agree Adelaide would be great for him or Geelong who also need another ready-made quality midfielder.

Definitely could help out Brisbane and GC too and I would take him for a couple of years at the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back