Recommitted Mitch Honeychurch

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Bulldog struggling to work his way into the team who apparently might be looking for opportunity elsewhere. Extremely hard working and hard at it, disposal can let him down however. Very high pressure player. Who would be interested and what would he be worth?

Hard to guage, because we haven't really seen much of what he can do at AFL level.

176cm, 68kg, coming to the end of his 3rd season. Not really a huge disposal getter or ballwinner. Kicks goals here and there. Tackling seems to be his only notable, consistent feature so far.

Could he become a 30+ goal a year, hard-tackling small forward, or does his future lie in the midfield?

Hard to guage, because we haven't really seen much of what he can do at AFL level.

176cm, 68kg, coming to the end of his 3rd season. Not really a huge disposal getter or ballwinner. Kicks goals here and there. Tackling seems to be his only notable, consistent feature so far.

Could he become a 30+ goal a year, hard-tackling small forward, or does his future lie in the midfield?
The former - high pressure small forward. Could see him getting 30+ with a consistent run at it. He's just not gotten the chance with us. Has had some impressive games - including a rising star nomination against Hawthorn.

Should get another go somewhere. If not, will the Dogs keep him on the list in 2017?
Definitely. He's contracted. And even if he wasn't we'd want to keep him, he wouldn't be delisted. He's the one looking elsewhere, from what I understand.

Honey's skills are barely VFL standard which have unfortunately held him back from playing many games for us.

I think there has been a bit of mismanagement on our part, though. He plays a permanent mid role in the VFL but given his ball use and size, in my mind he isn't going to play that role effectively at AFL level anytime soon. He can win the hard ball and can earn touches on the outside as well, but too many of them are given straight back to the opposition at even state league level.

He needs to be developed more as a high-pressure small forward but at this stage lacks the finishing ability. I see that as being more likely to develop than his field kicking/decision making, given he would at least have something to orient himself towards. He doesn't spend anywhere near enough amount of time close to goal to grow those areas of his game, though, and that's partially an issue with our system which prioritises versatility - sometimes at the expense of one-position dominance.

He would benefit from a move, in my opinion, and would lean towards trading him this year. I think any interested parties should be keen to develop his forward-half skills and use him as a rotational midfielder who spends a majority of his time forward of the ball, rather than the other way around. He has a part to play at AFL level in this role, but I don't believe he has been given enough opportunity to grow into it.

Honey's skills are barely VFL standard which have unfortunately held him back from playing many games for us.

I think there has been a bit of mismanagement on our part, though. He plays a permanent mid role in the VFL but given his ball use and size, in my mind he isn't going to play that role effectively at AFL level anytime soon. He can win the hard ball and can earn touches on the outside as well, but too many of them are given straight back to the opposition at even state league level.

He needs to be developed more as a high-pressure small forward but at this stage lacks the finishing ability. I see that as being more likely to develop than his field kicking/decision making, given he would at least have something to orient himself towards. He doesn't spend anywhere near enough amount of time close to goal to grow those areas of his game, though, and that's partially an issue with our system which prioritises versatility - sometimes at the expense of one-position dominance.

He would benefit from a move, in my opinion, and would lean towards trading him this year. I think any interested parties should be keen to develop his forward-half skills and use him as a rotational midfielder who spends a majority of his time forward of the ball, rather than the other way around. He has a part to play at AFL level in this role, but I don't believe he has been given enough opportunity to grow into it.
Great kid,but unfortunately when in the big league and you are 4"3" you must possess great pace and ball handling skill.Has been overtaken at doggies and hope he finds another gig.

would have played 15+ games at Essendon and Carlton in 2016. He just needs to fin the club that gives him an opportunity - maybe Freo if Balantyne leaves.

He's definitely not 68kg now haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back