Movie Most memorable/thrilling film you have seen at the Cinema (on initial release)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am a child of the 80s, and find myself blessed to have seen so many historical and pop cultural significant movies in that time, my first movie at the cinemas AFAIK was Back to the Future (not a bad choice) at Russell Street Hoyts in 1985.

But as for the greatest movie I ever saw at the Cinemas/pre internet spoilers age was Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Was blown away by that flick at the time, had more enjoyable experiences at the cinemas since (Star Wars Prequel Opening Nights were absolutely mental) but from a historical and cinematic perspective, I don't believe anything could ever top me watching T2-JD on the big screen .

Guess you had to be there, I don't believe I will ever be blown away like that again (least whilst at the cinema)

Last edited:
I am a child of the 80s, and find myself blessed to have seen so many historical and pop cultural significant movies in that time, my first movie at the cinemas AFAIK was Back to the Future (not a bad choice) at Russell Street Hoyts in 1985.

But as for the greatest movie I ever saw at the Cinemas/pre internet spoilers age was Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Was blown away by that flick at the time, had more enjoyable experiences at the cinemas since (Star Wars Prequel Opening Nights were absolutely mental) but from a historical and cinematic perspective, I don't believe anything could ever top me watching T2-JD on the big screen .

Guess you had to be there, I don't believe I will ever be blown away like that again (least whilst at the cinema)

One of the biggest problems today in 2022 in regards to movies, is that there are multiple trailers released for any new movie, in effect once viewed, you basically can deduce the entire story. You can thank the internet/social media that coupled with trailer breakdowns, discussion, analysis and spoilers, there is very little left to excite, thrill or unexpected.

I generally now make it a point, if there is a movie I genuinely intend to see and am excited for, I will watch a trailer just once only and try to avoid viewing or reading anything else related to the movie. To some extent it has worked in giving me a better movie going experience. Its what I recommend to anyone these days.

On the other hand by the time T6 came out, a movie I didnt care much for, I knew basically everything about the movie and I had little respect for it especially after knowing they killed John Connor inside the first 5 minutes.

Dont get me started how a movie over 25 years ago in T2 was better in quality and special effects (a movie production that began in the year 1990) than T6 made in the late 2010s.

In 1979 I went to see 'Apocalypse Now' at Hoyts in Melbourne at a Saturday
11:00am screening. There were three people there! The cinema had a walkway
into it that divided the theatre. I sat in the front part by myself with a wall dividing
the front from the back. No-one else there as the the other two patrons sat at the back.

I had the whole front section to myself. It was like my own personal cinema. 70mm
presentation and full surround sound. It was the best experience I ever had at the cinema.
I loved the film but didn't watch it again until blu rays came out and I had a large television.
The original viewing was so perfect that I didn't want to spoil it.

I remember catching the final session for the night of No Country for Old Men. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest during the scene in the motel room.

I lived semi-rural at the time, and driving home at midnight-ish through empty farmland, I almost had a panic attack hit me.

I don't think I've ever felt that level of tension in a cinema before.

Mamma Mia! (the movie)

As a young dude seeing the movie with someone it was bemusing being surrounded by middle-aged women catcalling Piers Brosnan and Colin Firth, whilst also singing at the top of their voice.

Fun night. Exuberant energy.

The Blair Witch Project

Waa it real? Wtf?

The beginning of the internet was used perfectly to promote the movie. Something that won't be able to be done again I'm this information age

the first movie i ever saw in the theatres was Close Encounters of the Third Kind and can still remember how loud it was. Still one of my favourite movies.

Memorable for other reasons was Three Kings, Our seats were way too close to the screen and having had a queasy stomach already i had to leave early to regurgitate my dinner. I went back later and loved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Saving Private Ryan. That D-Day battle was so loud and so intense. The silence after it was eerie and the crowd was fully engaged.
Went with 2 mates and as that scene ended we just turned and looked at each other like " Good god what'd we just witness ! "

Went with my younger brother to see the midnight premiere of INDEPENDENCE DAY
Cheers and hoots galore from the audience.

Can remember the cinema losing its s**t when George KO'd Biff in Back to the future

Most iconic screening for me was Titanic. I'd only just turned 9, saw it Friday night with Mum, and whilst I'd heard a lot of hype and seen the Celine Dion music video several times, it was a life-changing cinema experience for me. Titanic was also such a dominant cultural phenomenon in 1998 the likes of which we've seldom seen since. I got it on video for my bday that year and regularly acted out the film in the backyard with my brothers. That final (death) dream sequence is still my favourite film ending. James Cameron would go on to be my favourite director for much of my childhood.

The Act of Killing (and the 1997 Funny Games in non-initial re-screening) was one that left my throat as parched as the desert and my neck very stiff. Just a very confronting punishing experience when trapped in a dark room and your vision filled. You stop breathing and get very tense. There was a Q&A afterwards and we all took a long breath.

The film I've seen most in cinemas was Watchmen. I was a big fanboy of the GN and followed that production very eagerly, checked latest news frequently, watched the trailer countless times. Saw it thrice on initial release in Melbourne, at three different cinemas: Hoyts Central, Greater Union Russell St (now demolished apparently) and the IMAX.

My first ten screenings (in order)
Bambi (re-release)
Aladdin
The Flintstones
The Lion King
The Neverending Story III
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: the Movie
Babe
The Fox and the Hound
(re-release)
Twister
Balto

Last edited:
Das Boot - never felt so claustrophobic in a cinema. Masterpiece.

Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - double bill at the Piccadilly in North Adelaide. Story of revenge in beautiful Provence and Emmanuelle Beart.

Life of Brian - 15 years old just about wet myself laughing.

Interstellar - finally seeing it at an IMAX two years ago.

And the winner? This:

The Green Mile

Hard to go past Mad Max Fury Road, I saw it in 3D and with the soundtrack blasting out of the speakers it was an intense experience to say the least.

The sort of cinema experience that takes you a while to recover from as it was a total assault on your senses, it was like going on a 2 hour rollercoaster.

Hard to go past Mad Max Fury Road, I saw it in 3D and with the soundtrack blasting out of the speakers it was an intense experience to say the least.

The sort of cinema experience that takes you a while to recover from as it was a total assault on your senses, it was like going on a 2 hour rollercoaster.
Yep driving home after that one was fraught. If there was a cinemaDUI type measurement of nerves and adrenaline, we'd all fail after coming out of that one.

Great thread!

I can distinctly recall seeing Jurassic Park in 93 or 94 as a 6 or 7 year old and being completely blown away.

Avatar in 3D made me think cinema would just change, it was so increndibly immersive it distracted the bang average movie the gimmick was done for.

The Dark Knight re did sound design for me when i went and saw it at IMAX, could feel it in my chest for days.

1917 as a single tracking shot was pretty boss.

Top Gun Maverick after years of no cinema was a wondrous return to form for the cinema experience.

Terminator 2.
Titanic
American Pie
The Matrix
Way of the Gun
Gladiator
Lost in Translation
The Dark Knight
The Hangover
Endgame
Id add Endgame and Infinty War to my list, event cinema where the crowd rode every beat.

I still recall Cap and Thors crowd pop moments in the cinema and everyone just losing their ******* minds. I usually want people to be quiet and respectful in the cinema but those were iconic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back