When you have differing tastes…

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Inspired by a little convo in the What’s the Last Movie You Saw thread, tell me about when you’ve got to the movies with others/someone else and walked out with completely different opinions.

I realised my husband and I probably shouldn’t see films together anymore when he hated Inside Llewyn Davis with a passion - it’s one of my faves.

I saw Birdman with my brother and he said “well that’d be a better movie without the whole Birdman character” 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️. Can’t hack him.

My wife loved the entire Star Wars sequel trilogy. Yeah nah.

But she’s 10 years younger than me and also likes the MCU. Nuff said.

My wife had never really watched movies until we started dating and certainly never anything horror/thriller.

First date was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, she did not enjoy it.

She doesnt really like horror but theres only one that really stands out and its a little bit of me being a film w***er.

Shutter Island i thought was a complete ******* bomb, she quite liked it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When my partner and I first started dating we went on a date to go see The Northman. I'm a fiend for A24 and Robert Eggers and was very excited. Her first comment immediately after the film was "that was so s**t".

The night turned a little sour after that as I ruminated on whether this girl was right for me lol. Eventually I came to terms with the fact that is okay to have different tastes with your partner - it's pretty much the one area we don't align which isn't too bad :$

My wife and I have been together a long time (almost 20 years) and the Venn diagram of our TV/movie tastes is very well established.

We can enjoy together:
  • True crime docos
  • Drama TV series (eg. "Morning Wars", "Dopesick")
  • Action/blockbuster movies
  • Thrillers
  • Most stand-up comedy
  • British panel shows (eg "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown" is a fav)
  • Classic films

She can enjoy on her own:
  • Reality TV (The Voice, The Block, etc)
  • A Current Affair
  • Netflix movies
  • Soapy drama garbage like "Revenge"

I can enjoy on my own:
  • Science Fiction
  • Western & Samurai films
  • Animated series

Most weeknights we'll try to enjoy something together. Weekends I'll stay up light to get through what I want to watch. And sometimes we'll go to different rooms to do our thing separately!

My wife and I have been together a long time (almost 20 years) and the Venn diagram of our TV/movie tastes is very well established.

We can enjoy together:
  • True crime docos
  • Drama TV series (eg. "Morning Wars", "Dopesick")
  • Action/blockbuster movies
  • Thrillers
  • Most stand-up comedy
  • British panel shows (eg "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown" is a fav)
  • Classic films

She can enjoy on her own:
  • Reality TV (The Voice, The Block, etc)
  • A Current Affair
  • Netflix movies
  • Soapy drama garbage like "Revenge"

I can enjoy on my own:
  • Science Fiction
  • Western & Samurai films
  • Animated series

Most weeknights we'll try to enjoy something together. Weekends I'll stay up light to get through what I want to watch. And sometimes we'll go to different rooms to do our thing separately!
Yep establishing the Venn diagram is key, ours is not dissimilar to this so it's very manageable. For some reason TV series' are the easiest for overlap. Blockbuster action and thrillers.

She also told me after Barbenheimer that she doesn't want to be asked what she thought of the film after we go out and see one haha. She wants to process it and not get straight into analysis which I can kinda understand, but definitely goes against my natural instinct.

For the longest time I thought I had a deep hatred of the "delightful romantic comedy".

But I've watched a bunch in recent-ish years and haven't minded them. Even watched some Sex and the City (TV Show) and was OK with that.

Turned out I merely hated watching "delightful romantic comedies" with the future ex-wife, as she had a habit of using the plot as a lens to analyse our own relationship. Meaning I would end up in the doghouse because of a fictional on screen character's behaviour.

All that said I still maintain "When Harry met Sally" is actually a tragedy, not a comedy. :cool:

Also had another dude I was an apprentice with. We were polar opposites. If he liked a film, I'd avoid. If he hated, I'd go see 🤣

For the longest time I thought I had a deep hatred of the "delightful romantic comedy".

But I've watched a bunch in recent-ish years and haven't minded them. Even watched some Sex and the City (TV Show) and was OK with that.
If you don't take it seriously (which I never have) SATC is a really fun show with some snappy dialogue.

Turned out I merely hated watching "delightful romantic comedies" with the future ex-wife, as she had a habit of using the plot as a lens to analyse our own relationship. Meaning I would end up in the doghouse because of a fictional on screen character's behaviour.

All that said I still maintain "When Harry met Sally" is actually a tragedy, not a comedy. :cool:

Also had another dude I was an apprentice with. We were polar opposites. If he liked a film, I'd avoid. If he hated, I'd go see 🤣
Usually some deeeeeeeply problematic if not criminal behaviour in most rom coms.

My partner rarely watches movies. He loves Abba so will watch Mamma Mia when it's on once a month but that's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back